Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: The Z-Hitch Fix  (Read 3836 times)

SCVJeff

• ---
The Z-Hitch Fix
« on: January 14, 2009, 02:08:25 AM »
I'm sure this is a common problem with Meridian/ Journey owners as well as anyone else with an unusually low hitch. I had this made about a year ago and got lazy installing it until I started dragging my Sterling hitch on the ground and whiped out a set of cables. 

I had this adapter custom made because I didn't really like the way the off-the-shelf drop/ raise hitches looked, and they really stuck out. It turns out that the way the Meridian hitch is built allowed me to have this cute little 'Z' adapter sparked up that fits really nicely on top of the receiver and not stick out like a sore thumb. This one has 1/4" clearance to the body above. Don't know why I took so long to install it. They're hard to see, but I also had Grade-8 fine thread nuts welded on each receiver and cranked them both tight with locknuts as anti-clanks.

Installed Z-Hitch
Side View
The Fence View

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
Re: The Z-Hitch Fix
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 08:00:06 AM »
Either you got lucky, or you measured perfectly and the fab shop did a perfect job  ;D - it looks like there is no clearance at the top of the receiver ...
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 12:18:36 PM »
I measured carefully and argued hard, but the shop is one of the best in the So. Cal area. He was impressed with himself when it was done..

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 01:25:31 PM »
Most folks just use Drop/Riser hitches.. Same as your design but the vertical part (Slanted on yours) is indeed vertical

I have seen them from just a couple of inches all the way up to 13 inches in about 1" increments
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 04:59:52 PM »
Right, but it sticks out like a sore thumb, and more importantly adds several inches to the tow bar adding rear corner swing, etc. This design not only tucks up nicely, but more important adds very little length to the set-up, and that's what I was mainly after (but is does look cool..).

afchap

• ---
    • The Empty Nest
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 06:24:26 PM »
To each their own...

The first 4" drop I had was a Roadmaster. The drop was slanted and indeed added many inches to my hookup causing it to drag on rare occasions IN ADDITION to cutting my 10k hitch to a 5k max.  I replaced it with a BlueOx 4" drop on which the drop is straight. It adds very few inches to the hookup. It has never drug, AND it has a 10k capacity.
Paul ... (KE5LXU), was fulltimin', now parttimin'...
'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40e
'05 Honda Odyssey toad
Escapees, FMCA, SMART, WIT
http://www.pjrider.com

kevin

• ---
  • North West Arkansas..Go Hogs!!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 06:50:14 PM »
The Idea seems great, not sure about the welds though. No offense, but looks like it's kinda globbed on there.
2006 Tour
2011 Buick Enclave

gave up on that winning lotto ticket!

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 10:20:25 PM »
That's a beautiful piece of work Jeff!  If I get me a a shop that has that kind of skills I would have one made!  I am using a 4" drop inverted now.  Add in my surge brake receiver and I have a pretty good distance between the rig and my Jeep.  However, with the outboard mounted on the back of the MH, I probably can't get the toad too close.  Gotta have room to make those tight turns and clear the propeller shaft......

Sarge
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Hosted by Over The Network