The Z-Hitch Fix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCVJeff

I'm sure this is a common problem with Meridian/ Journey owners as well as anyone else with an unusually low hitch. I had this made about a year ago and got lazy installing it until I started dragging my Sterling hitch on the ground and whiped out a set of cables. 

I had this adapter custom made because I didn't really like the way the off-the-shelf drop/ raise hitches looked, and they really stuck out. It turns out that the way the Meridian hitch is built allowed me to have this cute little 'Z' adapter sparked up that fits really nicely on top of the receiver and not stick out like a sore thumb. This one has 1/4" clearance to the body above. Don't know why I took so long to install it. They're hard to see, but I also had Grade-8 fine thread nuts welded on each receiver and cranked them both tight with locknuts as anti-clanks.

Installed Z-Hitch
Side View
The Fence View

Either you got lucky, or you measured perfectly and the fab shop did a perfect job  ;D - it looks like there is no clearance at the top of the receiver ...

I measured carefully and argued hard, but the shop is one of the best in the So. Cal area. He was impressed with himself when it was done..

Most folks just use Drop/Riser hitches.. Same as your design but the vertical part (Slanted on yours) is indeed vertical

I have seen them from just a couple of inches all the way up to 13 inches in about 1" increments

Right, but it sticks out like a sore thumb, and more importantly adds several inches to the tow bar adding rear corner swing, etc. This design not only tucks up nicely, but more important adds very little length to the set-up, and that's what I was mainly after (but is does look cool..).

To each their own...

The first 4" drop I had was a Roadmaster. The drop was slanted and indeed added many inches to my hookup causing it to drag on rare occasions IN ADDITION to cutting my 10k hitch to a 5k max.  I replaced it with a BlueOx 4" drop on which the drop is straight. It adds very few inches to the hookup. It has never drug, AND it has a 10k capacity.

That's a beautiful piece of work Jeff!  If I get me a a shop that has that kind of skills I would have one made!  I am using a 4" drop inverted now.  Add in my surge brake receiver and I have a pretty good distance between the rig and my Jeep.  However, with the outboard mounted on the back of the MH, I probably can't get the toad too close.  Gotta have room to make those tight turns and clear the propeller shaft......

Sarge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom