What is a 2" hitch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bryan

Hi,

I'm buying a Blue Ox Aventa towbar and it is a 2" version (apparently it is available in a 2.5" version too).

Now, I need to measure my hitch on my RV to make sure I am buying the right one but which bit should measure 2"?  Is it the inside of the hole on the RV?  Or is it the outside of the existing tow ball bracket bit, the bit that slides in the hole?

Thanks

Those measurements should be nearly the same.  Measure whichever one is easiest for you.  The bar should fit fairly snug inside the receiver (hole) as you called it.

Unless you are measuring with a micrometer, they are both going to read 2". One is hair under and the other a hair over, to allow a slide-in fit. We aren't talking high precision parts here. I've seen some fit real sloppy and others quite tight - depends on the manufacturer of each piece and their production tolerances.

Since on a ball and socket type hitch there are two or 3 holes you might be looking at....

On a motor home there is usually a square hitch receiver

The Hitch adapter slides into this

It is normally 2" square but can be either larger or smaller

On this page Blue Ox Tow Bars on the top two items the 2" figure is the width and height of the square bars toward the center of the page (you will see a safety pin along side the bar

Thanks all, I'll go get my tape measure  8)

I'd be very surprised if your motorhome has something other than a 2" receiver.

Tom said:
I'd be very surprised if your motorhome has something other than a 2" receiver.

So would I, Tom.  But best to be 100% sure before shipping the towbar over methinks  ;) ;D

Bryan

While you have the tape measure out, you may wish to measure how far the RV hitch is off the ground then measure how far the base plate will be off the ground on the car.

If the RV is much higher, you may want to buy a drop hitch receiver at the same time so the tow bar is nice and level and not at steep angle.

Paul

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom