changing to double pane windows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wkndfun

Has any one changed out the single pane windows and installed new doublepane units. I use my 99 to visit my mother in law in NJ and it was cold!! The heater ran all night and drained the batteries so bad that I could not start the generator in the morning. So I was thinking first change to a 6 volt set up and change to windows to double pane.

Any thoughts?

Oh GOSH.  I have never heard of anyone doing that.  These windows are hard to remove...I mean HARD. 

I would go with the storm window "plastic with the hair dryer" route...the kind you can buy from Wally World.  There are lots of people that have done this temporary fix and have had good success.  Also, make sure you have your big windshield covered as this is your main heat loss.

I would never own a unit without dual pane windows up here....its just flat too cold!

I would imagine that changing windows to double pane would be an expensive venture.  I am aware of one individual that was considering doing this but felt it was just too expensive.  Since he never mentioned the cost I have no idea what it would be.

There have been people saying a single replacement window is hundreds of dollars....Much more than, say, your stick house.

have had 3 windows replaced by Peninsula glass in Vancouver WA for $2000.00+.
Driver's side W. was completely new since the cross bar was at eye level and new one has a better, higher location. The door and sofa W.s were a change of glass into the same frames.

I have found a company online that makes they. Yes they are not cheap $300-$500 each. Without the unit being a sealed unit it has little insulation factor, so storm are a waste of money. The hair dryer type just cut down on drafts.

You will spend a lot of bucks on changing out the windows and that's probably only one piece of your cold coach problem. As was mentioned already, the windshield is a big heat loss/gain area, as are the skylights and crank up vents. And your basic wall/floor/ceiling/insulation may not be up to the sort of weather you were in either.

Gary thanks the windshield is huge!! You both right that I would not gain much consider the size of the windshield. My wife and I do not mind the cold as we sleep. Just with boondocking the batteries are going dead. The blower in turn on and off all night long. I also burn about 10 gals of propane a night.

Glenn,

You might take a look at a product called Reflectix ...kind of a bubble wrap between two layers of foil, about 1/4 inch thick.

<http://www.reflectixinc.com/basepage.asp?PageIndex=729#ReflectiveInsulations>

We had the 'opportunity'    ;D    to spend last winter in Pueblo, CO.  While not the coldest spot we could have been it was a little chilly at times.  I picked up a 50' roll ( x 4' ) I think it was, at Lowe's.  Made cut out panels to fit the windows and it sure did make a big difference ... especially on the front windows.  It should help a lot.

Only draw back is you can't see out obviously ... That's where the film you attach then heat to shrink would be better.  But it did the job for us.

Howard

I'm with Howard on the Reflectx. I have a one-piece roll that goes across the windshield and it makes a huge difference inside, otherwise there is a significant drop in temp up front. That's also my UV storage block.

On my 85' Pace I had pieces cut for all windows around the beds, and that made all the difference between sleeping or freezing (even in Calif.).

Thanks that sounds like a good solutions for when we visit her in the winter. I don't need to see out we boondock in her driveway. It is a nice wooded lot but we only begin the rv to have are own area and bed to sleep in. How are you holding it in the window? Tape or just fitted?

Front window I used some of that silver tape, but most any kind would work ... not a lot, just a few pieces to hold it in position.

The other windows mostly put the cut out in the window and then let the shades down to keep it in place.

It sure did cut down on that  "waterfall" of cold air coming off the windows.

Howard

Glenn - we bought a roll of that bubble stuff at a Camping World for the front windshield and cut it to size to where it stays in place by itself.  It *really* makes a huge difference in reducing the heating or cooling demands.  We're lucky enough to have the double pane windows, but there is a monster BTU loss/gain with all of that front glass.

wkndfun said:
I also burn about 10 gals of propane a night.

Something does not seem right with your furnace.

A gallon of propane has 91,000 Btus in it.  Most Class-A furnaces are rated at up to 40,000 Btu/hour.  Regardless, your furnace would have to burn non-stop (no cycling) for 24 hours at full capacity to burn 10 gallons.  (91,000 Btus x 10 hours / 40,000 Btus per hour =~24 hours)

There might be a problem with your furnace or a leak in your system.

That interesting. Maybe it was not fulled all the way to start with, but it toke 22 gals to fill it up.

Mc2guy said:
Something does not seem right with your furnace.

A gallon of propane has 91,000 Btus in it.  Most Class-A furnaces are rated at up to 40,000 Btu/hour.  Regardless, your furnace would have to burn non-stop (no cycling) for 24 hours at full capacity to burn 10 gallons.  (91,000 Btus x 10 hours / 40,000 Btus per hour =~24 hours)

There might be a problem with your furnace or a leak in your system.

I should have said "x 10 gallons" above.

Howard Rawley said:
Glenn,

You might take a look at a product called Reflectix ...kind of a bubble wrap between two layers of foil, about 1/4 inch thick.

Just bought a '96 Adventurer (my first RV) and couldn't find windshield sunscreens locally.  I found this website and read this post about the Reflectix.  After making my trip to Lowe's and purchasing the 4x25 roll all is WELL!!  I had enough to cover cockpit windows, and most other windows.  It works great!!

Thanks. :) :)

Back
Top Bottom