changing to double pane windows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really regret ordering dual pane windows with my rig.  :mad: The seals on 9 of the windows that now have to be replaced, started failing around the 5 year point; the worst being the passenger side window that is used to view the rearview mirror. If I had a choice, I would replace all of them with single pane glass, but according to the info the dealer received from Winnebago, that is not an option since the the measurements are different for the two types of windows.  :-\

The cost of a new large trapezoid front passenger side window glass was $200 CDN including shipping. So I ordered a new glass for our northern Autumn colour tours. The local Winnebago dealer said it would take about 5 days. Five days passed, then a month passed; and then two months . . . Having been fed one story or another over three months, I went to see the dealer. Oops! No more RVs on the lot; and the store/office area had been cleaned out to the bare walls.  :-\ So I made quick call to Mastercard about an "unauthorized charge" on my credit card.  ;D No problem in getting the charge deleted.

Although not actively pursued as a traveling objective, for at least a few weeks of the year, we may find ourselves encountering sub-freezing nights dipping down to 0F. For sure, the thermopane windows eliminate the nightly drip, drip, drip of non-insulated windows; and it's surprizing how little increase in window temperature is needed to eliminated the drip, drip, drip. At 0C/32F outside, dual pane windows are only 3C/6F warmer than the non-insulated windows.

Bottom line: I would prefer my windows to be fogged up for only a few nights of the year, rather than the year-round fogging offered by defective dual pane windows. Can dual pane windows be engineered to last forever? At least for houses: according to the warranty/guaranty provided by the oldest and most respected window installer in our community, the new windows installed in our house have a lifetime parts and labour guaranty. And Winnebago Excel windows have what? A one year warranty??  :-\

Given the trouble I've heard about and seen firsthand on my Bounder, I wouldn't go out of my way to get double-pane windows. I'm just as happy that my new Winnebago doesn't have them, but I may regret it a little in the heat of the of the summer. We don't camp in cold weather much, so single panes should work out fine for us.

I'm guessing that you might have gotten somewhat different responses had this thread been out in the general forum instead of Winnebago-specific.  Most of us who now have dual-pane windows and previously had single-pane (in other motorhomes) would not want to go back to single pane.  Now I realize I'm not taking into account here the original question about changing out single-pane for dual-pane windows, but in response to later comments, overall I think most motorhomers who have newer RVs with factory-installed dual-pane windows are much happier with them for many reasons, most of which have to do with better heating, cooling, and sound-deadening.

Stan, it's too bad you've had such an unhappy experience with the dual-pane windows in your motorhome.  It almost sounds like they were installed on a really bad day at the factory or they put the "new guy" on the job.  Based on previous threads we've had elsewhere on this forum, I don't believe this is a common issue across all motorhomes.  Maybe Winnebago was having a problem with their window installation section?

Anyway, what I'm trying to convey here is that across the broader RVing community I truly believe most owners like dual-pane windows and it's too bad that a few really bad installations make it such a negative experience for some of you.  There are always occasional "lemons" on a factory line and we all hope ours isn't one of them.

ArdraF

Absolutly correct Ardra.  We wouldn't even consider going back to single pane windows.  There are a very low percentage of problems with dual pane in comparison with trouble free dual panes I am sure.

I agree with you Andra.  I have an 11 year old Bounder with one fogged window pane.  I would much rather replace that one double paned window, and maybe others in the future, than return to all the negative characteristics of single pane windows.

Some folks are more eager to condemn the whole concept than to admit they may simply have an inferior product, supplier or installer.

I can live with my dual pane windows, no sweat. (pun intended) ;)

Also keep in mind that Winnebago (or most any other manufacturer) is sourcing the windows, they are not making them from scratch.  It sounds like turn of the century Winnebago dual pane windows were not sourced from a high-quality supplier.  I have had no such problems with mine so far after a lot of cold weather use this winter.  I also notice the dramatic difference in condensation between the front windshield vs. the other windows, a direct result of single vs. dual pane.  I wouldn't go to single pane windows based on my experience.

ArdraF said:
Stan, it's too bad you've had such an unhappy experience with the dual-pane windows in your motorhome.  It almost sounds like they were installed on a really bad day at the factory or they put the "new guy" on the job.  Based on previous threads we've had elsewhere on this forum, I don't believe this is a common issue across all motorhomes.  Maybe Winnebago was having a problem with their window installation section?

Ardra,

This has nothing to do with the way Winnebago installed the windows. The problem rests with the manufacturer of the windows: Excel?, i.e. Atwood. Way back in '99, dual pane windows for RVs, were still somewhat of a novelty; an idea that cost me an extra $1000 at inception as an option. Perhaps these early offerings were not all that great, and prone to failure. One can only hope that Atwood has learned a couple things over the last ten years, and that they've now learned how to do it right!

There is also a downside for Winnebago in all of this. With a ten year old rig with a whole lot of miles on it, I am more than ready to trade it in on a new one; but a rig with nine foggy windows, along with the expected wonders of the use of luan plywood in a rather rainy climate, it'll take me another ten years to get the rig ready to trade!  ;D 

Mc2guy said:
Also keep in mind that Winnebago (or most any other manufacturer) is sourcing the windows, they are not making them from scratch.  It sounds like turn of the century Winnebago dual pane windows were not sourced from a high-quality supplier. 

I have to give Winnebago the benefit of the doubt on that. With limited choices, they chose the well known RV supplier, Atwood (i.e. Atwood RV furnaces, water heaters, etal) to supply their dual windows. Atwood was the one that screwed up!!

Stan Birch said:
I have to give Winnebago the benefit of the doubt on that. With limited choices, they chose the well known RV supplier, Atwood (i.e. Atwood RV furnaces, water heaters, etal) to supply their dual windows. Atwood was the one that screwed up!!

My windows are eleven years old.
My windows are Atwood.
My windows are installed in a Bounder.
one (1) window of eleven (11) is fogged.
Go figure ??? ???

Stan,

You're right - being first into anything new is problematic!  Same was true when slideouts were first installed.  Regardless of whose fault it was, it seems like yours was worse than others which is too bad.  You remember that old saying - you pays your money and you takes your chances!

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom