Closet modification suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dvsmith86

Hello Handypersons & Re-modelers;

I have a Southwind 35' class A on a Ford F53 chassis.  The bedroom slide retracts to the left when facing the back.  Behind the slide there are adjustable shelves that are accessed from inside the "double" closet.  These shelves are quite deep and nearly impossible to access with clothes hanging in the closet.  I am seriously considering  cutting through the panel that is uncovered when the slide is out and installing wire baskets on sliding tracks to make this area more usable.  I would have a hole, not a "slot" - i.e. the doorframe on the closet would remain to the right of the cutout to access the baskets.

Does any one think this would harm the structural rigidity of the coach?

Second question:  How many hang-up clothes do most people take when making extended trips or fulltiming?  We are becoming a more casual society all the time, and we believe we do not need a narrow closet and a "double" closet for hang-ups.  We will take some "good" clothes along for anything dressy we might need to attend of if we suddenly have to fly somewhere for a funeral or something.  Otherwise, we think we will need very little actual hang-up space, and would prefer to convert the narrow closet to drawers, stackable baskets or bins, or wire baskets.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Duh'g ...but I'm still learning

I did something similar to mine. In the rear wall we have a half height rear wardrobe that has shelves to the right of the doors that were all but inaccessible. I cut a 14 x 26 hole in the rear interior wall and mounted a cabinet door I had left over from another remodl project. There is just enough room between the slide and the wall to clear the door, as long as it has no protruding handle. I put a Euro-style lip on the bottom edge to have something to grab.  Works great as long as you don't forget and leave the door open and move the slide. It comes in ok cause the slide pushes the door closed, but then going out it will catch the edge of the door and tear the hinges off. Don't ask me how I know this...  ::)

We put plastic drawers in each of our "wardrobes" to make them more useful.  I am more of a "low impact" remodeler. 

What might really be useful would be if those who have done this could post some pictures of the end result.  That would help me, and I'll post my pictures when completed.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yesterday, Vicki and I went to a dealer RV show in Alma, AR.  Saw a new RV - I am pretty sure it was a Winnabago that had a wire basket drawer under the dinette seats.  The basket was labeled Schulte Series 12.  It looked like a really good size to put into my closet, but when I went to the Schulte website and searched I found nothing.  Was anyone know how to access this line of product?

Thanks,
Doug

Something like this?
http://www.organize-it-online.com/itm_stackcross.html?cmpid=Froogle

http://www.organize-it-online.com/itm_4runner.html?cmpid=Froogle

Organize.com also carries Schulte products

YES! thanks, that is exactly what I meant.  I need to go to the motorhome in the storage lot and measure everything, but that looks light weight, and durable.

We are supposed to get freezing rain with up to 1" accumulation of ice, so this project is definitely waiting for warmer weather.

Thanks, again
Doug

RV Roamer said:
Something like this?
http://www.organize-it-online.com/itm_stackcross.html?cmpid=Froogle

http://www.organize-it-online.com/itm_4runner.html?cmpid=Froogle

Organize.com also carries Schulte products

Well, spring has sprung, the ice melted long ago, and today it has finally stopped raining temporarily.

Vicki decided she does not want me to make modifications to the motorhome that cannot be undone.  So... here is what I found.
In the R.H. narrow closet, I found a 3-drawer plastic unit that exactly fits the area.  On top of them is a smaller 3-drawer unit that I had for another purpose.

In the large area to the left of the closet, I found some covered bins that completely fill the area by stacking four high.

See the pictures.

Attachments

• Small Closet drawers.jpg
    Small Closet drawers.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 129
  • Storage bins.jpg
    Storage bins.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 97
Back
Top Bottom