2003 Rexhall Vision DP question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjwinters

Hubby and I are looking for a motorhome and saw one that is a Rexhall 2003 DP. We lifted the bed and the motor was completely exposed. No cover or anything. If you fell in, that would be it.

Is there something that usually covers the motor? This is the first DP we've looked at so far.

Also, we are looking at a 2005 Holiday Rambler - Admiral, 30 ft. Is that a pretty good rig? Big enough to full time in?

Thanks, Jan

There are some DP motorhomes that have the engine exposed when you left the bed.  Personally we would not even consider such a rig.  If one were to drive on a dirt road, such as going into the rally area in QZ the dust would fill the bedroom.  So IMHO a good DP motorhome will not have the engine exposed when the bed is lifted.  Besides having the storage available under the bed is a nice feature.

When we were looking at coaches we looked at a 2003 Rexhall DP.  We weren't very happy with the construction and quality control, so passed on it; but I loved the floor plan.  A bit later we had heard that there was a class action suit again Rexhall for unresolved "fix it/quality control" issues.  I can't confirm that the suit issue was true; but it confirmed our first impression.

I would think there should be a heat shield access door/panel over the engine compartment and I would be concerned that the coach doesn't have one.

What other coaches are you looking at?

Marsha~

Ron,

I agree with that. A definite no. I didn't think about the dust factor.

Marsha,

Thanks for the heads up on that. I do like the floorplan, but those other issues are much more important.

We also saw a 2005 Admiral by Holiday Rambler. It's 30ft  with 15,000 mi. I believe they are asking around $60,000.

We also saw a 2001 Surfside.
http://www.guarantyrv.com/details?sn=M26475A&r=L2ludmVudG9yeT9tYWtlPU5BVElPTkFMX1JWJm1vZGVsPVNVUkZTSURFJnN0b2NrX3R5cGU9Mg==

Want to pay between $40,000 to $60,000 if we can.

Thanks, Jan

The price on the Holiday Rambler looks high.  I just purchased a 2005 33' Allegro (low miles, in very good condition) for significantly less than that. 

I recommend an ebay search.  Put in the parameters you want (e.g., class A, price range, etc), then look at the coaches with a "buy-it-now" price.  I just did that search and there are several coaches in your price range that are larger than the Holiday Rambler.  This will give you one view of the market. 

Based on my shopping experience, it appears that most coaches are selling for significantly less than the price that many dealers are asking.  I purchased mine for $20,000 less than the dealer's asking price (however, I did have a trade and that makes comparing prices more difficult).

Good luck with your search!

Delbert

That is very good advice, Delbert. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I will do the ebay search, and we won't jump at anything yet.

Thanks again, Jan

Jan,

For the price you mentioned, you should be able to get a longer MH and although older Newmar, Fleetwood, etc. that should suit your needs.  30' is quite confining and a little more room for the same price would be nice.  Also I think you will find some of the older MHs that were higher priced when new are more substantial and better built.

Just a Thought,

Thanks Jim,

I think that a 30' would be a bit small, too. Hubby thinks we may have to get it because there aren't any bigger ones
for our money.

I see we need to broaden our scope.

And keep looking!

Thanks ;)

What's the highest on mileage on a gas or diesel rig that would be ok?

Any advice on that if we're looking at older models...

Jan

$60k is far too much money for an Admiral - I wouldn't pay over $40k.  And if you are looking for a diesel pusher, that's not it. The Admiral has a  gas engine in the front.  I'd be looking at larger rigs for fulltiming, but your needs may be different than ours. 

If you are using the coach full time, the extra quality and features of a higher end rig are usually worth the money. That's not  a slam against  the Admiral - it is an excellent choice in its class.

Back
Top Bottom