Mini rally in Indio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
We're spending several days with forum member caltext (aka Robert) at Signature Resorts in Indio, CA. This is really a 5-star private facility. The lots are privately owned, and the owners may elect to put their lot into the rental pool. Some lots are on the water, some on the golf course, some on both water and golf course, and some on neither.

It's a chilly 80 degrees here.

Robert launched his boat (propelled by an electric trolling motor) in the channel in front of our coaches.

Today we took a trip through the towns along hwy 111 (La Quinta, Indian Wells, Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage, Cathedral City, and Palm Springs). We then took the cable tram up to approximately 10,000 feet at Mount San Jacinto State Park. Quite a view down into the valley.

Attachments

• Indio1.jpg
    Indio1.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Indio2.jpg
    Indio2.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Indio5.jpg
    Indio5.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Indio4.jpg
    Indio4.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Indio3.jpg
    Indio3.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 54
You went right by our old condo in Rancho Mirage.  It's right off 111.

The tram to the top of San Jacinto is really a beautiful ride.  How much snow was at the top?  You only pay for the trip up, the trip down is free.  If you hike over the mountain to the upper tram station, you don't pay to ride down.

Very little snow on the way up, but there was enough at the upper station for folks to take their snow shoes and for kids to take their saucers. The tram rotates 360 degrees as it ascends, so everyone gets the full view.

Will do Gary, although I suspect Robert will see your message.

This place is smaller than TGO, doesn't have separate zoned sections, and is limited to motorcoaches. No alligators though. Across the street is the sister park Outdoor Resorts, and nearby is the original (and larger) Outdoor Resorts in the area.

We'll head to Quartzsite on Wednesday with Robert in tow.

And TGO doesn't have those beautiful mountains to look at ;)

Lorna, I was commenting just yesterday on how bare those mountains look. Part of the desert charm I guess, but they do provide some additional perspective.

Tom,

We must be very close to you and Robert.  Our departure was delayed, so we ended up staying Fri & Sat night at the Elks Lodge in Indio off of Madison & #111.  Nice place BTW, but not as nice as Signature Resorts.  Our plan is to head to the Tiffin/Allegro Rally this morning, then over to the RV Forum.  Sure was warm yesterday.

Marsha~

You only pay for the trip up, the trip down is free.  If you hike over the mountain to the upper tram station, you don't pay to ride down.

Ned, from what I saw of the mountain on the way up, I would gladly pay the fee. Hiking up that rock would be a long day.

Robert, it's easier from the west side.  People do it all the time.  The north face is the steepest mountain face in North America, going from sea level to over 10,000 feet in a very short horizontal distance.

I grew up spending lots of time in the mountains of the High Sierras (Huntington Lake) and once thought all mountains were forested up to the tree line.  When we were finally able to travel the Southwest, I really enjoyed, and learned to love, the way the light and shadows changed each hour on those beautiful bare mountains. 

Margi

Robert

That is because Ned hasn't hiked up Devil's Slide on the west side ::) ::)  I have done it both ways twice and certainly works your heart going up and stresses you legs, ankles, and feet coming down since it is all switchbacks and very steep.  Can't remember exactly the distance but it is at least a 1000 ft in about a mile of switchbacks.  Once you are at the top it is worth doing the Slide because the views are awesome.

Margi

You are right about those bare mountains.  I never tired of watching them through the day as the light changed the looks and shadows of them.  It was so great to see the snow up there and have that wonderful warm weather in the valley.

Marsha,

You must have been just around the corner from us! Signature Motorcoach Resorts is on Avenue 48, just a short distance from Jefferson. We could have all had dinner last evening (we went to Mimi's Cafe, one of my favorites, with Robert).

I'll be darn.  Last night we went to Mimi's Cafe, but there was a 40 minute wait, so we went across the street to Souplantation.  We would have loved to have dinner with you guys. 

Tim says to go to to L & G's for steak.  It's mucho dollars; but worth every cent.  Be sure and go the the one that has the roof that moves across the ceiling and you can sit and look up at the sky.

We are now with the Allegro/Tiffin people.  This is NOT a good thing.  We are close to the oldest coach here; with 40-42 & I think even a 45 footer with quad slides all over the place.  Tim's itch to buy a new coach is killing him; especially since we are paying ours off next month.  :-\

Marsha~

....there was a 40 minute wait, so we went across the street to Souplantation.

Yep, that's the right Mimi's. We went early, so we had only 15 minutes to wait. So how was Souplantation?

A couple of unedited sunset shots at Indio. I'll play around with them in Photoshop later to see what happens.

Attachments

• Indio_sunset1.jpg
    Indio_sunset1.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 42
  • Indio_sunset2.jpg
    Indio_sunset2.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 34
Tom, great pix. Seems like your photos of late always seem out of focus. Do you have your camera set on auto-focus? I forgot to switch mine back some time ago and had a similar problem.

Just an idea, carson

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom