battery and converter/charger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quadrider

high everybody,at the end of summer i had a few tech topics about the house battery,I found out that the 2 batteries I had was the problem one was cheap and the other fail the load test so it was bad.I,m getting the rv ready for use and I decided that I am gong to install 6 interstate u2400 battery in the rv because we do alot of dry camp.I was looking at my converter/charger and its a magnetec 950-2-4.It looks like its the original equipment that came with the rv and my question is should I upgrade to a better one.The shop recommends the progressive dynamic model pd9260 with built in charge wizard. Would this be I good upgrade or is it a waste of money since the magnetec works.I,m worried about damaging the new batteries.Its going to cost me 145.00 per battery here in BC.and the new converter/charger is 290.00.

Install the new converter.  Cheap protection for $870 worth of batteries. 

Just do it...I installed the PD9260 in my MH last week and it took all of 10 minutes.  You'll get a faster charge and extend the life of your batteries. 

BTW, if you are installing over 600Ah worth of batteries, you probably want to consider the 9280...you have a lot of free electrons to replace and the 80 amp charger will get them in there faster.

If you're looking to save a few dollars where you can, check out the 9100 series also.  That's what I have in mine, just replaced my PD9160 with another PD9160 in fact.  Those are the older models, but as long as you get the additional Charge Wizard module they are as good as the 9200's from what I understand.  The 9200's just have the module built in.

Scotty.. A 9100 with the optional charge wizard is not "as good as" a 9200..  It is a 9200 with optional dongle.

The 9200 is a 9100 with a built in charge wizard.    (The dongle on the 9200 is a led and a button,  On the 9100 it's the an active device (the charge wizard)

So your post is more accurate than you thought.

One advantage of going the 9100 + Wizard route is if it should fail.... You might save a few (or many) dollars

If the Wizard fails it is like 20-25 bucks

If the converter fails you save a few dollars (less it takes the wiz with it)

The Magnetek 950 is a decent charger - probably the only good one that Magnetek made. It's still a two stage, though, so the Progressive with Charge Wizard (making it a three stage) will be better. Whether it is $290+ better only you can decide. Also, the 9260 is a 60A vs 50A on the Magnetek and that extra amperage will help charge your new and much larger battery bank a bit faster. 

If I were going to spend the money to change chargers, I would probably go for a larger one., e.g. the 80A model (pd9280). It's only about $20 more.

quadrider:

See my thread here.

Besides upgrading the the converter on my rig, I also bought and installed some full-time desulfaters.  There is a link in the above thread that goes to the product on the Best Converter site.  As you can see from the thread, I am very happy with the service I got from Best Converter.  I'm still waiting to see what the desulfaters do.

Frank.

I'm another happy Bestconverter.com customer...I've bought from them twice, and had good service both times, and their prices seem very good!

Go for a converter with a 3-stage charger, tell them about your battery bank, usage, etc for some suggestions on their part - they're the experts... ;D

Can somebody please tell me where they hide my power converter in my 2000 Fleetwood Tioga 24D?

It works, I am only curious where it's located and how I missed it.

I have only had this motorhome for a couple of weeks. The converter is the only thing I have not yet found.

But I will take a guess. I have not looked under the rear bed yet (that is, under the board that is screwed down to hold the bed) .  .  . Is there anything there other than the room for the outside storage compartment?

-Don- (Reno, NV)​

There COULD be space under there.  You won't know until you look.  ;)  Every make/model of RV is different when it comes to storage cavities.  My converter is in a storage box underneath the entry step, which can be removed to access it but it (the step) is not necessarily EASY to remove like a drawer or cabinet.  So wherever your converter resides could be screwed closed or otherwise secured.

Common places in Class C's are under the bed , under the dinette booth or under the fridge (if the furnace is not already there). But I've seen them tucked in most anywhere - found it under the washing machine in a friend's Class A!

"You won't know until you look."

Yeah,  I guess I will have to look everywhere and see what I find. Thanks for the ideas.

-Don-  (Reno, NV)​

Question, Are you 12 volt distribution panel (Fuse block) and 120volt distribution panel (Breaker box) two totally seperate devices or are they one box with two doors?

If the latter is there a make and model on the thing that you can find?

Many rigs it's one box with two doors (or two boxes joined head to foot or shoulder to shoulder)

And the converter... Is bolted to the backside of said box

Beyond that they can put 'em almost anywhere they have a spare cubic foot.  IN my Damon for example the batteries are up front, u nder the steps (A common hiding place for batteries)

The converter is mounted in a basement compartment, against the very back wall of the rig, as on the "Service side" (Not the entry side) literally as far from the batteries as you can get in a basement compartment.

"And the converter... Is bolted to the backside of said box"

Yep, I found my PD9140A just behind the fuse panel which is under the diner seat.

Now I have the model numbers for everything in the RV:

Refrigerator:Dometic Model RM 2652

Furnace & A/ C : Coleman MACH

Stove / gas oven :Magic Chef

Microwave:Samsung

Toilet: Thetford

Water Heater:Atwood Products model G6A-8E

Generator:Onan MicroQuiet 4000
model:4KY FA261OOJ

Intel-Power PD9140A Power Converter.

Now I just have to get the manuals for each of the above items. I like to get every book possible for all my vehicles.

Thanks for the help,  everyone.

-Don- in rainy Cold Springs Valley, NV <Reno>​

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom