How long can we stay in Canada?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

khar22

Hello Everyone,

Lovely to be here.  You all seem so very helpful so I was hoping someone out there may be able to offer me some assistance.

It does seem like a simple question but I have had a hard time finding the answers.

I am in the process of purchasing an RV in New York and plan to take it across the border to Canada to sightsee for a few months at least, and eventually return to the US to sell the vehicle.

How long can we keep the vehicle in Canada?  Do they have restrictions on the length of time you can stay in Canada without having to register it there?

Are you able to cross back over the border to the US and then return to Canada?

My friends and I are from Australia but have an International drivers license and can get the vehicle insured in the US for travel to Canada as well.

I will appreciate any advise.

THANK YOU

Kylie

You'll need to register the RV in the US so you can stay in Canada as long as you like.

Not sure he can stay in Canada indefinately Ned.

Brits can stay in Canada for 6 months without having to apply for any type of Visa.

I cant see how Australians (however nice they are) being allowed longer than that.

May be wrong though.

Paul

PS khar22 - you should be able to pop across the border a couple of times but the US are very strict if they believe you may be trying to abuse their systems. Be sure to complete the new online US entry documents before you arrive in the Country.

He did say a few months, I didn't think he meant indefinitely.  But thanks for the detailed info.

We crossed into BC Canada in April 2008 and were asked how long did we wish to stay,knowing how severe the winters can be and that we were crossing west to east we said to about Aug or Sept, the customs official gave us 6 months and wrote our leaving date in our passport together with an official stamp.

In Aug that same year we flew home to the UK for six weeks for the birth of our first grand child, on our return we were given another six months, we tried to tough it out but despite sunny days it was cold.......well that's what the BOSS said and she MUST be obeyed  :D so we crossed back into the USA at the Niagara Falls crossing.

I think that you may get longer than six months, it all depends on the person who processes you, during our stay there was a programme on TV that said Canada tourist figures were the lowest since the 60's. :eek:

Thank you all you have been very helpful.

I did have visions of showing up at the border in my RV very excited about my journey and them not letting us through.

I do have a visa for Canada and the US so hopefully I will be able to drive around back and forth and see as much of these great lands as I can.  And to see snow for the first time  :)

So I am taking it there is no set time as to how long you can remain in Canada with the vehicle, and it will all depend on the person on the day?

Hi

The Canadian Gov website states a time limit of 1 year - see HERE.

They do make a brief reference to a Visa - but it isnt clear if one is needed - either way, I couldnt find a link to the Visa they refer.

What Visa have you acquired for Canada ?

Cheers
Paul

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom