A Vintage Look at an Old Park

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike Goad

While researching for a new web page I'm building on Yellowstone National Park, I found a lot of videos on YouTube, but wasn't able to find any footage showing how the park was when some of us might have visited it the first time.

However, I was able to find one in a site called the Internet Archive and I uploaded it to YouTube.  It's a public domain film from the forties (I think) -- which was quite a while before my first visit, but there are a lot of familiar scenes.

It's a little quite hokey, but interesting, with some views of a vintage car and trailer, including one of a lady feeding a bear from the door at the back of the trailer. At one point the lady is shown boiling an egg in a hot spring and you can see a shadow of a man cranking an old style movie camera. The video is 7 minutes long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgy5VzEz8FU

Mike,

Based on the autos and the old pictures I have of my parents, I would guess the film was shot in the middle 30s.  By the time I got there in '47 the roads had changed some from this and nothing much was done from 42 till early 50s to them.

Very interesting, Mike.  Except for the lame humor, it reminds me of the look and sound of the old "short subjects" which used to run between films in old movie theaters.

Margi

Thanks for that posting Mike.  It seems to be a part of a film that we watched in the local movie theater when I was a kid.  Anyway seems that car and trailer looked familiar.  Gee Jim & I must have visited yellowstone for the first time in the same year.  Having been raised in Wyoming we did visit many times.

Ron said:
Thanks for that posting Mike.  It seems to be a part of a film that we watched in the local movie theater when I was a kid.  Anyway seems that car and trailer looked familiar.  Gee Jim & I must have visited yellowstone for the first time in the same year.  Having been raised in Wyoming we did visit many times.

Ron,

Yep, a couple of hundred miles apart and both in railroad towns.  Seems we had that discussion before!  :)

James Godward said:
Ron,

Yep, a couple of hundred miles apart and both in railroad towns.  Seems we had that discussion before!   :)

Yep very similar experiences.  I wonder if Tom & Margi ever decided we had not rehearsed our discussion that evening. ;D

If you had rehearsed your memories of growing up in railroad towns, the tales wouldn't have been so audacious, or so funny!  You couldn't possibly have made those stories up in concert.  You little delinquents really did grow up to be upstanding citizens, thank God.  :D

Margi

Tom and Margi said:
If you had rehearsed your memories of growing up in railroad towns, the tales wouldn't have been so audacious, or so funny!  You couldn't possibly have made those stories up in concert.  You little delinquents really did grow up to be upstanding citizens, thank God.   :D

Margi

Thanks Margi.  Wonders never cease they tell me. ;D

Tom and Margi said:
If you had rehearsed your memories of growing up in railroad towns, the tales wouldn't have been so audacious, or so funny!  You couldn't possibly have made those stories up in concert.  You little delinquents really did grow up to be upstanding citizens, thank God.   :D

Margi

Margi,

Are you sure we are not still a little on the delinquent side???  I guess slowing down with age help my image at least.  :)

James Godward said:
Margi,

Are you sure we are not still a little on the delinquent side???    :)

Well .... I hope so!  ;D  This slowing down with age junk is really a bummer, though.  :D

Back
Top Bottom