Lance 815 or Lance 835?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ste

Just got back from dealership. After I explained to the salesman that the glove compartment sticker in my truck says Manufacturer recommends camper wt not more than 2112lbs he said what matters is the gvwr and that since I had a crew cab they assume 5 passengers instead of two. My truck's gvwr is 9200lbs and with wife and dog and I at scales we have 2900 to play with. The Lance 815 dry wt is 1878 lbs and the Lance 835 is 2160 lbs. - with options 2700 lbs.I prefer the 835 with the air conditioner, extra propane tank, bigger grey/black water tanks, roomier etc. Should I go for it or be more cautious and get the 815? Was the salesman correct in his asserting that the glove sticker 2112 lbs was based on five passengers?

You would think a 3/4 ton would handle the load of the 835; the 815 is described at being suited for "lightweight trucks".

Please vote for either the Lance 815 or the Lance 835.

First thing is to realize that dry weight means not loaded for use.  One needs to figure what it will weigh when loaded to travel.

He MAY be right about the higher passenger weight assumption with a crew cab, but also remember that passengers are assumed to weigh 154 lbs, so we are talking at most 462 lbs difference (and only 308 lbs if i it is 4 passengers rather than 5). You would have to call the truck manufacturer and ask to be sure, though.

The GVWR is one factor; rear axle GAWR is another and you have to live within both of these. The third, that does not have a number readily attached to it, is sway & roll. A camper is a very top heavy load and will cause the truck to lean/roll/sway in anything other than stright line driving. Does your truck have the camper package installed? Usually consists of a stabilizer (anti-sway) bar in rear and perhaps front too, and maybe helper springs as well. Ask your truck dealer about the camper package for your model.

I have decided to go with the lighter Lance 815 (dry wt 1878 lb). Before I purchase I will contact gmc and get the camper package and get their imput on wt restirictions. There seems to be a big difference on what the camper dealer tells me my truck will carry and the glove compartment sticker (2112 lbs). The glove sticker differs on the low side from the truck's load carrying caps on the door sticker. (Truck gvwr is 9200 lbs gawr frt  4800 lbs  gawr rr 6084 lbs) Maybe this has more to do with the the top heavy factor and the higher center of gravity rather than the downward wt factor. I didn't think about the sway bars or camper package so thanks for bringing that to my attention. The camper dealer will outfit truck with air bags, quick release fasteners, remote elec jacks etc.

I plan to do a scale check and later when I get the camper do a trial run near home. I'm might put a Rhino spray on liner on and mat for the bed of the truck. I'm also considering taking the rear seats out of the crew cab since I've had them in the down position for over a year. This along with losing the tailgate will lighten it a bit and give me valuable space for a drawer/box system for clothing/gear.

Thanks for the feedback. You've been a big help for this 62 yr old newbie.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom