tongue weight questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonTom

From this forum's library:

"CLASS 1 hitch
Considered a light duty hitch for towing no more than a 2000 pounds trailer with no more than 200 pounds weight bearing on the tongue of the trailer.

Class 2 hitch
A medium duty hitch tows up to 3500 pounds with a maximum tongue weight of 300pounds.

Class 3 and 4 hitches
Heavy duty hitches, up to 10,000 pounds, with a weight distributing rig (spring bars) or 6,000 pounds without such.

Class 5 hitch
Extra heavy duty hitches, up to 14,000 pounds WD or 10,000 pounds without"

Why does class 3, 4 and five have no mention of max. tongue weight?

I just now went outside to check what type of towing package is on my 2000 Fleetwood Tioga 24D. It says nothing about what  class it is, but it does says "3,500 Lbs max"  and  "weight carrying ball mount 350 lbs " (I assume that means max tongue weight). Which class is this hitch?

And it also says "do not use with spring bars".  What are "spring bars" ? Also says "V-5" ,  whatever that means.

Anyway, what I really wanted to ask is how safe it is to carry my Suzuki DR200SE motorcycle on this hitch, with the thingie to carry it. My DR200SE book says the bike  weights 249 lbs DRY. I have not yet weighted the motorcycle carrier. But I assume the bike filled with gasoline and oil, etc., and the carrier, will be under that 101 lbs. If so, does that mean it is safe to carry my DR200 SE back there?

And how critical is it if I am five or ten lbs over that 350 lbs?

-Don-(Reno, NV)​

I guess we need to do some work on the library info - it's a bit vague!

Class I   Up to 2000 lb trailer and 200 lbs tongue weight
Class II  Up to 3500 lb trailer and 350 lbs tongue weight
Class III Up to 5000 lb trailer and 500 lbs tongue weight (some brands are 7500/750)
Class IV  Up to 12000 lb trailer and 1200 lbs tongue weight
Class V   "more than Class IV" - various numbers by brand.
            Typically 13,000-14,000 lbs and 1000-1400 lbs of tongue weight

Spring bars are the torsion bars that make a hitch "weight distributing" rather than "weight carrying". They exert a torque on the receiver that actually transfer weight to the front wheels of the vehicle. The receiver has to be exceedingly well attached to the frame for this to work without damaging the receiver or frame. Apparently the receiver in yours is not up to the task. In a Class C it is common for the receiver to be mounted on an extension to the actual chassis and that extension is probably the weak link. And also the reason it is limited to 3500/350 lbs

Back
Top Bottom