ATT Data Service and Router

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tim Lassen

I am looking to purchase the Linksys WRT54G3G-AT router for use with Sierra Wireless AirCard 881.  If I understand correctly the card is compatible with the router but I have not been able to verify.  The data plan looks like it will be $60/month for up to 5GB.  I was not able to determine if the plan could be modified if traveling in Canada but they did have a North America plan for $110.Mo.  If anyone has experience with the card, router or use in Canada would appreciate comments good or bad...tim

Tim Lassen said:
The data plan looks like it will be $60/month for up to 5GB.
by the sound of it, you don't yet have the card and plan?
if thats true, i'd strongly advise against ANY pcmcia format "card", and would recommend you look at ATT Mercury USB modem instead.

PCMCIA as a card slot type is a fast dying breed and during the course of your data plan, its entirely likely you will need to replace the laptop you have now, and if so you are very likely to have a hard time finding any new laptop worth buying, that still comes with the same kind of card slot.

the pcmcia format offers no performance advantage over USB, and going with the ATT Mercury will allow you the option to select one of the cradlepoint routers, which by many people's opinion, is far superior to competing cellular/3G routers.

Thanks...I'll look at the Mercury cradle point router.  I chose the Sierra card because it was compatible with the linksys router.  My computer is new and will accept the card but my wife's is newer and will not...tim

Just to clarify, the ATT Mercury is a USB modem, and Cradlepoint makes routers that work with it.

while I'm at it, I should recommend against choosing ATT for mobile broadband service.

its been the experience of hundreds (or more) RV customers, that presence of actual ATT 3G network is sparse at best.

you may want to look at this graphic that shows just how little ATT 3G coverage there is compared to Verizon 3G/EVDO.

http://tinyurl.com/ATTvsVerizon

Tim, the Sierra 881 and CradlePoint 350 work seamlessly together. I did add the external antenna to the **! and that has picked up the kps rate in both the Edge and 3G zones as I've tested it in speedtest.com in rural and urban areas. It will go with me to Greensboro NC this week.

Wherever ATT is, the Edge will work and better than dial-up for certain. In SCA there's a lot of 3G coverage and when in it, wow. ATT is expanding the 3G area all the time and working to keep up with their marketing campaigns.

Thanks for the help.  I agree that Verizon is far superior to ATT.  Unfortunately I need the ATT/Cingular to backstop us at home as well as on the road.  Verizon cannot hear us in Kernvile and Cingualr is our only option along with the MotoSat.  Bob, it's good to hear you are having luck with ATT.  Since it will only be used for backup or while we are driving or when DataStorm is inoperable I can get buy with less than perfect service.  The other thing that has been troubling with Congular/ATT is that I cannot find their coverage map for Canada but believe it will work there.....tim

Tim Lassen said:
Thanks for the help.  I agree that Verizon is far superior to ATT.  Unfortunately I need the ATT/Cingular to backstop us at home as well as on the road.  Verizon cannot hear us in Kernvile
its best not to judge data coverage/performance by quality/coverage of voice. they are not always the same.

Kernville, CA has excellent verizon EVDO/3G Rev A coverage as indicated by the blue area on this screengrab:

http://www.evdoinfo.com/images/stories/CA_Kernville_VZW_200901.jpg

as to claims that ATT is expanding to keep up with their marketing... you'll need to prove that. i track all "coverage expansion" press releases for a living and ATT does far fewer releases than verizon has. prolly 25:1 in favor of verizon. feel free to make the comparison yourself.

So here's the deal.  Verizon does not provide coverage in Kernville which is why we had to switch to ATT.  Our son has verizon/Blackberry which is also dead in Kernville.  This leaves me to believe the map is stretching the limit on what territory is included.  If you drive to nearby towns Verizon will pickup but doesn't work for 95% of Kernville..they do however provide landline service..strange huh?...tim

The coverage maps are based on zip codes, so it is not unusual for a map to show coverage for a broad area wreas there is usable service in only part of it.

The second part is easy enough to explain.  Verizon Wireless is a different corporation than Verizon Telephone (landlines). The landline company owns  a big chunk of Verizon Wireless stock, but it is an entirely separate corporation.

Back
Top Bottom