how much weight can i pull with my 2005 f350 dually?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KANDJCITATION

hello

just started 5th wheel shopping and want to make sure of the weight i can pull. i have a 2005 ford f350 dual rr wheel, 6.0 diesel with a banks 6 gun tuner, larger dual exhaust and intercooler, the suspension is all stock but it does have the towing package. any help would be great.

thanks in advance!

Here's a link to the Ford Towing Guides for 2002-2009. You can find your truck configuration there. The Banks and larger exhaust does not increase the tow capacity.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/default.asp

An exhaust brake would help - you have to be able to stop the trailer as well as get it moving!

With the Tow mode in the Ford 6.0, you really don't need an exhaust brake. I have a 2005 6.0 Ford F350 SRW and am very happy with it although I don't get as good mileage as I did with my 7.3 diesel. 7.3s did not have the Tow mode and the built-in brake controller. 6.4s look good on paper and look good outside but the mileage stinks and I haven't heard any good news about it, even from Ford mechs.

BruceinFL said:
With the Tow mode in the Ford 6.0, you really don't need an exhaust brake. I have a 2005 6.0 Ford F350 SRW and am very happy with it although I don't get as good mileage as I did with my 7.3 diesel. 7.3s did not have the Tow mode and the built-in brake controller. 6.4s look good on paper and look good outside but the mileage stinks and I haven't heard any good news about it, even from Ford mechs.

We have a 2003 F350 6.0L DRW, and I agree that the tow/haul mode really helps to slow down the rig. It seems almost intuitive how it picks the correct gear to deccelerate the truck, and the powertrain programming uses the variable turbo to increase exhaust backpressure under decceleration. Transmission line pressures are jacked up also when the engine is braking the truck, to avoid transmission slippage. Whoever did the software for the powertrain program did a masterful job. We haven't towed in the western mountains; an exhaust brake would probably be an advantage there.

Thanks for the feedback on the tow/haul mode. We've had similar feedback on the GMC/Chevy trucks with their tow/haul mode, so maybe an exhaust brake is not as important as it once was.

I would be really interested to hear some reports on those systems from someone who tows out here in the far West.   We have some real nightmare grades like that seemingly endless 6 percenter over Lookout Pass on I-90 or the Grapevine on I-5.   The grades are not only steep but they are long.

But then I tow with a gasser so whadda I know.   ;D

I've been pretty much all over the mts both in the west and in the east towing my 5er using the tow mode in the F350 SRW 6.0 diesel with no problems. Been on 9% grades. The key is to use the tow mode and selective (not riding or excessive) braking to keep the speed down and not let it build up to a point where heavy braking would be required. The aviator in me likes to call it controlled descent. The steeper the grade, the lower the speed.

There are a lot of places, and the number seems to be growing, that prohibit use of jake/exhaust brakes although the laws are primarily directed toward the trucking industry.

There are a lot of places, and the number seems to be growing, that prohibit use of jake/exhaust brakes although the laws are primarily directed toward the trucking industry.

Those restrictions are for engine brakes, not exhaust brakes.  Exhaust brakes don't make any noise.  And not all Jake brakes are engine brakes, our exhaust is a Jacobs Extarder.

BruceinFL said:

As Ned said, the prohibition is against engine/compression brakes, not exhaust brakes. However, most of the signs are poorly worded, the best prohibit "unmuffled" engine brakes. It is generally the unmuffled brakes that create the noise that is so annoying.

Absolutly correct Bernie.  What a lot of folks are not aware of is that since started being the standard on diesel trucks a lot of the 18 wheelers do not have mufflers which is ok except when the engine jake brake is activated then it is noisy.

We have a two speed Jacobs engine brake and it makes less noise braking than the normal noise of acceleration. There is no way an officer would know I was using it unless he sat next to me and observed I was slowing down without my foot on the brake pedal.

Last time I drove a coach with a Jacobs engine brake, my experience was as Gary described. But I have no idea what the noise behind and outside the coach was like. The Jake brake essentially turns the respective engine cylinders into an air compressor, so I'd expect some incremental noise coming from the tailpipe.

Gives me an idea for a (non-scientific) test; Maybe I could get one of our friends to apply the Jake brake on their coach as they drive past me while I stand on the sidewalk.

RV Roamer said:
We have a two speed Jacobs engine brake and it makes less noise braking than the normal noise of acceleration. There is no way an officer would know I was using it unless he sat next to me and observed I was slowing down without my foot on the brake pedal.

But you have a muffler in the exhaust system because if you didn't you would hear the difference.

Sitting on the Miller's porch in Camp Verde, we heard the engine brakes from the trucks coming down the I-17 long grade into the Verde Valley, several miles away.

That is because a lot of those trucks do not have mufflers.  Sometime when in the truck stop just look for any sign of a muffler under the chrome heat shield on those vertical stacks.

I know those trucks don't have mufflers, that was my point.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom