1996 Allegro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

V2Neal

Hello all, looking for some advice and information.
I have been searching around for a Class A motorhome, and ran across a 1996 Allegro 35', 230 HP unit, and have a few questions that maybe you can answer, or at least point me in a direction.
1. Is this too much coach for a n00b? I can turn wrenches to the point of successfully rebuilding 2 diesel engines so far, all I need is a manual. :D
2. It's advertised as a 230HP. This means it's powered by a cummins 5.9L correct? Is that too small or marginal? I know oodles of power can be extracted from that engine, and they have been proven to be stone reliable. I'd like to be able to tow a TOAD, possibly my 1980 Mercedes.
3. How do I find out what trans it has? Call the Mfg with the VIN?
4. Is 13 years old - old? I would think it's more about the condition and care than actual age.

That's all for now. Thanks in advance!

Neal in MN

If the coach has been well maintained I wouldn't worry about the age. Do check the age of the tires, though, and the condition of belts and hoses.

Yes, the 230 ho means a 5.9L Cummins, the mechanical version rather than the ISB. Solid performer. Hopefully it has the 6 speed Allison rather than the 4L80E 4 speed.  The shifter ought to give you a pretty good clue as to which it is. Can you describe it?

The VIN will be for the chassis and the chassis manufacturer ought to know what transmission was installed.

Thanks Gary. I found the info for the trans. It has an Allison.
Here's the add ...
"This is a 1996 Allegro Oshkosh 230 35?. It?s powered by a 230hp diesel engine and an Allison automatic transmission on a Freightliner chassis. It features a large patio awning with 3 additional awnings, a slide out, roof ladder, air conditioning, backup camera, and a hitch. The drivers cab has leather seats, backup monitor, Kenwood, AM/FM/CD stereo, and a CB radio. Through the center of the RV is the kitchen and living area with a slide out. It has a cloth lounge chair, sleeper sofa, booth dinette, and a Phillips television. The kitchen amenities include a dual basin sink, a triple burner range top, a Sharp convection oven, cook vent, and a Dometic refrigerator/freezer. The master bedroom and bathroom are located to the rear. The bathroom has a vanity sink, toilet, and corner shower stall with glass enclosure. The master bedroom has a full size bed, built in wardrobe space, and a television shelf. The electrical system is backed by an Onan Marquis 6500 LP generator(239hrs). The RV runs and drives with 67,084 miles."

Reading is fundamental  :p
It looks like it's in decent shape, but hard to know for sure from just pictures.

More questions:
LP Generator - Good or bad? I'd prefer diesel, but as long as it works good that's fine.
Convection oven - I can't say I've done allot of baking, but would a standard oven be missed?

Thanks again.

Neal in MN

Sounds like a similar era/size to my RV, which I bought as a camping newbie in 1997.  It's been just the right amount of rig for us.  ;)  There is a bit of a learning curve in driving something that large, but you'll get comfortable with it pretty quickly.  I personally LOVE driving our rig to and fro... very empowering!

Check out the "Buyer's Checklist" in the Library link above, and get a really good walk-through of the rig if you can.  Check everything you possibly can check before agreeing to buy.  Expensive replacement items are tires, A/C, generator, and windshields on Class A's.  Make sure all those things are in good shape and/or have been maintained if the rig has not traveled many miles recently.

The convection oven you will LOVE.  It's basically a combination microwave and standard oven, but it's the size of the microwave.  Perfect for RV's and big enough for almost anything you'd reasonably cook/bake while camping.

You've come to the right place to get ALL your questions answered, so post up if you have any more!  :)

Hi V2Neal,

We have a 2003 Allegro Bus 35' diesel pusher and have been very happy with it.  Not to dissuade you, but you might find that 230 hp engine a bit sluggish, especially if you are towing a heavy car in mountainous areas.  Ours is a 330 Cat and we have no problem going up and down the mountains in the west.

Tiffin/Allegro in Red Bay, Ala is great about providing parts, service and information for all their coaches.  They are known for helping out, even with older coaches.  If you call them with your vin number, they can give you all sorts of information i.e. tanks sizes, carrying weights etc.  Here is their service info website.  Tiffin

I think you'll be very happy with the microwave/convection oven.  It's great for cooking/baking.  I liked it so much that I had a convection/microwave oven installed in the house we recently built.

BTW, I've not heard of an Oskosh in the Allegro line, wonder if it's a front engine diesel?  If I recall correctly they did try a few front end diesel engines.

Marsha~

Thanks for the info!
The unit is a bank repo and at an auction. I've looked at NADA value, and if it doesn't exceed low retail, I'll probably go for it. I like the floor plan and it should fall into our price range.
Carfax didn't have any bad information, so nothing obvious like a wreck or flood.

Marsha - yeah, I'm mildly concerned about the engine 'only' being rated at 230HP, but I'm sure it makes decent tourque. Plus I figure there are plenty of gas powered unit out there with a similar HP rating (or less) and they do OK. The beauty of the 5.9 is that they are easy to tune up and extract more power out of, yet still be reliable. Yes, I am aware that upping the HP does not increase the towing capacity :)

So for me the high points are: 5.9 Cummins, good floorplan (for us) price might be right (maybe even cheap) clean Carfax, photo's make it look in good condition.

downside: It's in AZ and I can't quite see it from here.

V2Neal said:
Carfax didn't have any bad information, so nothing obvious like a wreck or flood.

As discussed recently in this thread, be careful using Carfax as the end-all-be-all source for that kind of information.  Many repairs/damage may have never been reported and would therefore not show on a Carfax report.  Nothing can trump a well-informed buyer and a comprehensive inspection.  ;)

Scotty - Yep, I've read that thread. I guess I take the Carfax info to mean it hasn't been totalled and rebuilt.

Sidenote: further inspection of the available pictures would indicate it's a pusher.  I am basing this off of a lack of hump or doghouse between the seats, and the placement of the exhaust pipes. The generator exhaust is exiting under the driver.

Attachments

• Allegro.jpg
    Allegro.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 60
Looks beautiful!  I would never guess that was a '96 at first glance.  New paint at some point I wonder?  Looks more like something post-2000 to me, which is a good thing!

Congratulations on your Allegro looks like a nice coach.  On the Chassis Oskosh was bought by Freightliner and from what I have heard Freightliner has done very good supporting the Oskosh.

Great looking coach.  Based on the exterior someone has been taking careof or it has been undercover..tim

Nice looking rig - obviously received a full body paint job somewhere along the line.

I found the full set of photos online and I see it has a few minor problems, including some body damage on what appears to be the corner by the rear bumper. Price seems reasonable for the condition and upgrades, even with the damage. Definitely worth taking a close look.

Ron - Thanks, but she isn't mine... yet ;) I'll be watching it like a hawk though. Hopefully the bidding doesn't get out of hand. I saw a coach end last week that was bid to $1000 over NADA, plus there was a $750 buyers fee on top of that. No deal in my opinion. Meh, to each their own.

Gary - Yeah, all in all it doesn't look/sound too bad. Hopefully easy things to fix.

Good catch on the updated paint. You guys and girls rock!

Neal in MN

V2Neal said:
Ron - Thanks, but she isn't mine... yet ;) I'll be watching it like a hawk though. Hopefully the bidding doesn't get out of hand. I saw a coach end last week that was bid to $1000 over NADA, plus there was a $750 buyers fee on top of that.

I watched a LOT of RV's on eBay when I was potential buyer, and even after I bought because it was habit by then.  ;)  A lot of them will appear to end successfully, but a couple weeks later you'll see them relisted.  I'm assuming that the winning bidders either flake out and never show up, or once they inspect the item in person they refuse to buy.  So keep watching for other coaches you're interested in, they might just reappear and sometimes with a lower price!  That's how I got mine at its bargain price in '07.

Back
Top Bottom