Outstanding Cummins Dealer in New Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry B

For those needing service for their Cummins engines in the New Mexico area, I can highly recommend Cummins Rocky Mountain in Farmington, NM.

Last year I lost some of my Turbo boost while traveling. Needless to say it always happens at the most inconvenient time, such as the last business day before the Labor Day weekend. I also had to be in Seattle within 5 days and on the way there, mountains to tackle which I am not sure I would have been able to accomplish without having full turbo boost available.

I pulled into Cummins in Farmington, NM with a lack of power at about 4PM on a Friday. They immediately looked at the problem and determined within an hour that I had air leaking out of the Turbo Air Control Valve. The part was not in stock and the Cummins part depot was contacted to overnight the part, which was to arrive in Farmington at 10AM the next day. (they had 160+ in stock ? problematic part?)
Cummins? parts depot however did not get the part out on time, which was probably due to the time of day the request was made and that they were in another time zone. As such no part showed up in Farmington at 10AM Saturday morning.

Saturday 10 AM, the manager took it upon himself to put plan B into effect and requested an immediate shipment of the part from another Rocky Mountain Cummins dealer in Denver which had the needed part in stock. In Denver they had an employee come in from their Holiday weekend and put the part on a plane in Denver.
In Farmington the Cummins dealer had two of their employees come in from their Holiday weekend. One of them picked up the part from the airport while the other one started the disassembly of the defective part.
All said and done, we were on our way again within 24 hours of determining I had problem.

This Cummins Rocky Mountain dealer?s service was outstanding in my book. They anticipated possible problems and had a backup plan in place if so needed. I felt that this kind of service needs to be past on to others as they deserve our business.

Ned, Yes I did enter my experience there. It is nice to be able post a positive experience for a change.

John, They sure did go out of their way. I was used to providing this kind of service in the IT industry I spend my career in. The RV industry has a long way to go yet.

I must say though that my experience with Cummins (Oasis) has been very good in general. I have had two other occasions to use the services of the Cummins South dealer in Ocala, FL and they were very good as well as you probably know. I understand that Cummins is buying out a lot of the independent dealers to better be able control the service quality.

Cummins in Ocala was good - when our coach was new they diagnosed a check engine light which turned out to be a chassis connector problem.  Cummins went ahead and fixed Freightliner's problem.  We also like Cummins in Phoenix (near the excellent Freightliner dealer in Tolleson.)  Ned - yes - I'll make a note in the service directory!

We have an appointment for next Thursday with both FTL and Cummins.  FTL is doing M1 service and installing our new filler necks.  Cummins is going to find out why our genny stumbles when it tries to start.  I think it is a loss of fuel prime, but we'll find out.

Oh - forgot to add my career was also in IT - I retired from AT&T.  You are so correct about the RV industry  :mad:

Several folks here, including me, have had great service at Cummins Coach Care facilities. They provide hookups for an overnight stay, and their techs are trained to work on many of the systems in your coach. If you join the Cummins Power Club, you'll get IIRC 10% off the bill. You can join the Power Club at any Cummins shop, but need to call to activate the membership.

I am glad to hear the good reports about Cummins/SW in Avondale. I had 2 bad experiences there (attitude, pricing, customer service) from when they first moved in to the facility and then 3 years ago. These were both before it received it's Coach Care certification. I had warned anybody who inquired about the facility about my feelings about the shop and made my feelings known to Cummins people at FMCA Conventions.

Smoky had to have some work done there last week and he came back with a glowing report and now I see additional good reports. It looks like someone took charge and turned the Coach Care into a good alternative to Massey's in Phoenix.

BernieD said:
I am glad to hear the good reports about Cummins/SW in Avondale.

Avondale - not Phoenix.  I can never remember the name of the little city Cummins is located.  We were there twice last year and thought they were pretty good.  If I have a different experience next week, I'll update my opinion in the Service and Repair Reviews section of the forum.

BernieD said:
Tomayto/Tomahto, its all Phoenix as far as I'm concerned and I live in the city next to Avondale ;)

I sure wouldn't call it all Phoenix where you live and Avondale are just a whole lot nicer IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom