Intel? WiFi Link 5100AGN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harveyj

We will both be retired this year and plan to do a lot of traveling in our C and a laptop will also be in our future.
I have been looking at several laptops and have noticed that many have the Intel? WiFi Link 5100AGN card installed.
Those of you that have it, have you noticed any problems connecting to the various "Hot Spots" around the country?

Also, Anyone using the Microsoft Streets & Trips With GPS? How good is the receiver/ software. @ $39.00 for the whole package, I was concerned about reliability

Thank you

That's a heck of a deal for the GPS receiver and software. IIRC I paid $99 for the software and bought a separate receiver several years ago. At that time I think the package was something like $125.

My biggest concern would be the lack of 802.11b support.  Many free WiFi hotspots still use that version of the protocol.  You won't find any 802.11a or n hotspots (yet) so you would only be able to use 802.11g hotspots.

Also, you'll get much better connections using a USB WiFi adapter than you will from any built in adapter.

Where did you see S&T w/GPS receiver for $39?  That sounds more like a price for just the software.

Tom,
Amazon sells it for $54.00 and the link below (Cheapees) has it for $37.00.  A local book/software store has it for $39.00

http://www.cheapees.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/SFV/31964/vpid/3787786/vpcsid/0/rid/126332

That's a very old version, 2006.  I believe the current version is 2008.

Anyone using the Microsoft Streets & Trips With GPS? How good is the receiver/ software. @ $39.00 for the whole package, I was concerned about reliability

You don't usually get the GPS receiver for that price - that's just the software package. MSRP for the package with receiver is $74.95. If you can get the software and the GPS for $39.95, I'd grab it.

There is nothing expensive about a GPS receiver these days  - even cell phones have them buried inside.  The receiver that comes with the map software is just a receiver - there is no display or controls with it. All that is supplied by the S&T software and your personal computer. The only downside to the package is that you have to find space to operate your laptop to use it. Plenty of people do, however, and you get a nic big map display as a result.

Streets and Trips is really very good for pre-trip planning, but it is very weak in the navigation department.  I recommend CoPilot Laptop version 10 (not 11) - it is RV-friendly.  Knows about height restrictions and propane restricted tunnels and has a very good user interface.  DeLorme is very powerful, but you will need to invest a lot of time in learning the program.  I don't think an old version of S&T with a receiver is a very good deal even at that price.

Ned is right...that low price was for the '06 version.  Amazon does sell the '09 version of S&T with the GPS for $54.00.
I appreciate the info about using a USB adapter instead of the built in mini-card....I wasn't aware that there was that big of a difference in performance (this will be my first venture into WiFi).
Thanks again for the advice.  I will also look into CoPilot as I want something that is reliable.

That's not outlandash for a "last year's version" of S&T However it's a bit low for S&T with opitonal GPS receiver

However if you already have a GPS receiver with data interface for your computer such as a Garmin.

It does fairly well.. Do be advised of a couple of things

1: Map datum is not going to be dead on all the time.. Don't matter what program you use this is a fact.. Usually it's within a few feet I've seen it hit as much as a quarter mile off  but only on one road...Everywhere else I've been it's been good.

Page 2.

By the time they record it, code it and burn it to CD, 2-3 years have passed.. So the road they opened last month.. Won't be there

And I've seen several "Tiny roads" not there

But for RV use..> Generally it's a winner

DO be aware that the default routing is "Shortest road" (They say fastest route) This is shared with Rand Mcnalley by the way

Now, I've had Rand McNalley route me through a neighborhod, 20-leven stop signs, when a short 2 blocks away was a main drag, 2 stop lights in the same distance (And odds are one of 'em would have been green

S&T took me down a couple of roads that I may some day drive again.. If I can figuer out how to drive a mountain goat that is (Ok, Ok, a JEEP CJ) but in a 37 foot motor home if I never see that road again.. TOO SOON.

You need to check "MORE OPTIONS" then "SEGMENTS" then "Prefered roads" EVERY TIME you route

IT also does not have low bridge datum.

I recommend checking out Verizons Wireless Internet service. It is a much better service than Wifi. It works just about everywhere I have been and doesn't require a hotspot. You can even send and receive email while your significant other is driving. It does cost $60 per month though.

Back
Top Bottom