Veterans Eligible for 15% Discount on Wireless Bill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron

Moderator Emeritus
All military service veterans of the United States are eligible for subject discount on their monthly wireless bill.  To apply cisit a corporate Verizon Wireless Store and ask for discount 117818 under Gov Employee.  You will need a copy of discharge papers when you apply.

AT&T does that, also. We have that discount on our AT&T wireless phones.  ;D

Now, if I could only get that discount on fuel.  ::)

Ray D  ;D

Why didn't anyone at Verizon ever tell us that? Since Mike and I are both veterans, do we get a 30% discount?  ;D

Wendy
Palm Springs, CA

Wendy said:
Why didn't anyone at Verizon ever tell us that? Since Mike and I are both veterans, do we get a 30% discount?  ;D

Wendy
Palm Springs, CA

Good question but best ask Ask Verizon.  Apparently Verizon has always extended retired and military personnel but now extends the 15% discount to any US veteran.  Also I understand that veterans that qualify for the 15% discount on their monthly wireless bill are also eligible for a 25% discount on all accessories.

Ron,

Thanks for nosing this out and sharing it with us.  I do have my DD214 and will apply at my next major city stop.

I really, really enjoyed being back with the Framily at Q!

Since I had not heard of the verizon discount till I seen it in that magazine and I could not find any info on the verizon wesite I figured there would several in the framily that would qualify for the discount.

Thanks Ron.

Going to head down there tomorrow and check it out!! Finally getting something for tromping around in a jungle for a year!! I did get a few extra bucks on my social security check. Hopefully all are aware of that.  Keep this up and I'll be able to buy a tank of fuel (propane that is). 

Take care

Ron said:
Good question but best ask Ask Verizon.  Apparently Verizon has always extended retired and military personnel but now extends the 15% discount to any US veteran.  Also I understand that veterans that qualify for the 15% discount on their monthly wireless bill are also eligible for a 25% discount on all accessories.

I sent VW an email about the topic and look forward to their response.  I'll pass it on when I get it.

Ron, thank you so much for posting that information!  ;D I went to our local Verizon store this morning (North La Cholla Drive in Tucson) and received the discount. I just took a copy of my DD214 (not the original) and asked for the discount using the number and information that you provided. After some discussion, they agreed to take 15% off our total bill, which includes three of us with phones.

Some of their employees initially thought the discount was limited to active duty and retired military, but a couple of others remembered the broader policy from a training session they had attended recently. They did have a bit of trouble deciding what codes to put into their computer, but finally figured it out. They scanned a portion of my DD214, after allowing me to redact some identifying information, such as date and place of birth, which I felt might be useful to identity thieves if it weren't safeguarded. Anyway, the whole thing took less than ten minutes. Thanks again!

So I guess if one is active/retired all they need do is show their ID card?

I went to the local Verizon store here in Tucson this morning with my DD214. They knew exactly what I was talking about, which was especially good since I forgot to take the discount number posted above.

Unfortunately, the discount just applies to phone service and not Verizon's Wireless Broadband service. However, if you purchase any equipment at the store for you phone or wireless system, you get a 25% discount on the purchase, as well as any future service contract service changes. I don't know whether internet transactions are covered by the 25% discount or not. The rep said that the discount is automatic and I didn't have to ask for it on future transactions.

Richard

RLSharp said:
I went to the local Verizon store here in Tucson this morning with my DD214. They knew exactly what I was talking about, which was especially good since I forgot to take the discount number posted above.

Unfortunately, the discount just applies to phone service and not Verizon's Wireless Broadband service. However, if you purchase any equipment at the store for you phone or wireless system, you get a 25% discount on the purchase, as well as any future service contract service changes. I don't know whether internet transactions are covered by the 25% discount or not. The rep said that the discount is automatic and I didn't have to ask for it on future transactions.

Richard

I called Verizon at *611 and they knew what I was talking about when I mentioned the discount code #117818 and told them it was listed under Governmant employee in their computer.  The announcement stated Verizon wireless and the persons I talked to knew about the discount for wireless customers.  Since we do not have a corporate owned Verizon store locally I was checking to see if I could apply online which the indicated I could but recommended I go to a Corporate Verizon store.  We will be going to the big city within the next few days so I will apply in person.  You might want to try again but take the discount code number with you.

Thanks for the "Heads Up" on this , Ron. Yesterday I went to the AT&T store with a copy of my USMC discharge papers and asked for the discount. They originally thought the discount was only for active duty personal. I told them to check and after about 10 minutes, they agreed I was qualified to get the discount. I then asked for them to make it retroactive and everyone got a good laugh and said, "No Way".

Chet18013

Just got this email response from VW.  Seems like it would be easier to go to a store if one was available, but if not, try these options.

Good morning and thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website. My name is Shona, and I understand your concern with wanting to know about your employee discount. It would be my pleasure in assisting you with this matter. We value and appreciate your business.

As a vet, you may be eligible to receive a discount off your monthly access fee. Please keep in mind, the eligible employee must be the account holder and must have a $34.99 or higher calling plan in order to receive this discount. As a result, please be sure to register using the primary number on your Family SharePlan if applicable. Please note that certain promotional plans may not qualify for this discount.

To request your discount, the following three options are available to you:

1. You may visit www.verizonwireless.com/discount and enter your work/government e-mail address. If the work e-mail address matches our files, we will send you an e-mail with instructions on how you can begin to take advantage of your employer's discounts. If you do not have a work e-mail address please click on the "fax us your information" link to apply for your discount.

2. You may visit your company's Extranet website and click "Register Your Line." Once this has been done, your account will be reviewed for eligibility and your discount will be applied to your next statement. For further questions concerning your company discount and extranet site, please contact your Human Resources Department.

3. You may call our automated employee discount line at 866-456-7892, and select option 1 to request eligibility forms to be faxed to your fax number. Please be sure to listen to the prompts to receive the proper instructions on how to obtain your employee discount. Please complete the employment verification paperwork in its entirety and fax the information back to 800-711-7788.

Once this information has been received and your eligibility has been verified, please allow 1-2 bill cycles for your discount to be applied to your account.  Please in mind discounts are generally communicated through your employer, I apologize for any inconvenience this matter has  caused you.

Chet18013 said:
Thanks for the "Heads Up" on this , Ron. Yesterday I went to the AT&T store with a copy of my USMC discharge papers and asked for the discount. They originally thought the discount was only for active duty personal. I told them to check and after about 10 minutes, they agreed I was qualified to get the discount. I then asked for them to make it retroactive and everyone got a good laugh and said, "No Way".

Chet18013

My SIL has ATT. Do you have a discount code number for ATT that I can pass on to her?

I don't have but it is my understanding that ATT has been offering this discount for some time.  Maybe Chet will have it and post it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom