Veterans Eligible for 15% Discount on Wireless Bill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wendy said:
I believe the primary account holder has to be the veteran - is the account under your name or hers? Could make a difference.

We have yet to check on the discount with Verizon, but have been wondering about this issue.  At one time Tom had Verizon service and I had Sprint.  At some point, while in Iowa, we dropped his Verizon and he buddied up on my Sprint.  So now I'm the primary account holder and Tom is the veteran.  Will let you know what we find out when we get a "round tuit".

Margi

I understand Sprint has a similar discount but you may have to switch tha account over to Tom.  Please let us know what you find out.

Well, actually Tom and Margi, and Ron, our account is in my wife's name, and I called, using my phone number, and they gave us the discount (Sprint).  All they asked me was what branch of service I was in.  I though it a little odd, but that's how it went for me.

Sounds like Sprint may be less concerned than Verizon but then I am not sure just what Verizon would do either since the phones are under my name.

Ooops ... I failed to mention that we then switched from Sprint to Verizon about six months ago.  Since the Sprint account was in my name, the Verizon account switched with my name on it.  We thought it didn't matter, but now it might.  Will let you know how it all turns out. 

Margi

I got my Verizon bill today. We have two phone numbers and 1 data number. The 15% discount came off the primary phone (mine) but not off the second phone or data line.

Greetings, gang!

Thought I'd share my experience on this issue.

I am in the Palm Springs area.  I went to what looks like the only Verizon corporate store in the whole area, which is in Rancho Mirage at the SW corner of Bob Hope Ave and Avenida Las Palmas. Its right out front, next to Starbucks.  You can even get valet parking if you want. <bg>

The "reception" guy knew what I was talking about with the discount.  The clerk I got had heard of it, but didn't know the discount code.  I didn't have the code with me because I hadn't expected to be at the store.  His boss did know, and I used my VA medical card as proof of "veterancy."

The clerk said he did not know when the discount would take effect, as I was on the last day of my "cycle."  I checked myverizon this morning and it did mention that I saved 15% on my bill (which is not available for this cycle yet).  That statement was not on the page before.

We shall see....looks like a "go" though.  I'd suggest having the discount code with you when you go in.  Thanks for nosing this out, Ron!

Well, here is my 2 cents worth!! We figured since Verizon has aquired Alltell, why not try our luck as well. This is what we were told by both companies here in Tucson. Come September Alltell will not exist as Alltell anymore and then my Hubby should be eligible as well for the Veterans discount, since it will be only Verizon.

Mariekie

BruceinFL said:
I got my Verizon bill today. We have two phone numbers and 1 data number. The 15% discount came off the primary phone (mine) but not off the second phone or data line.

Thanks for the update, Bruce. Unfortunately, your experience is how it was explained to me. We also have two phone numbers and one data number and ONLY get the 15% discount on the primary phone number.  :(

Richard

Hello all,  Bob here.  I'm trying to find out what that FAN number is for AT&T.  It's a Foundation Account Number.  If anyone can help me with that, I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks a bunch.  They told me they do give the discount but I need to get that number. 

Although I had the nbr for Verizon they did not require it.  It would come in handy if the office was not aware of the program.  Have you tried visiting or calling ATT?  They might just be aware of the program and you may not have to provide a nbr.

Re ATT. I just walked into a company store on west Bell rd, Surprise AZ;the clerk knew what to do; walked out less than 10 min later with the discount applied.

Ray D.

I've been on the phone for 2 days trying to find the F.U.N. number AT&T requires for the Veterans discount and can't find anyone who knows what I'm talking about.  Could you please tell me how you got the discount and/or if you needed the Foundation Account Number (FUN).  Thanks a bunch.  Bob D.

I just about always ask for a senior discount, when I buy anything. If the answer is "no," I ask about a veteran's discount. I did that when I signed up for AT&T, more than 2 years ago. The clerk at the store said they did have that. He knew what he needed to know. I was asked to show my VA ID and Dani showed hers. We got the 15% on the entire bill, both phones. Took a VA ID card, for each, and that's all.

He did call AT&T with the ID stuff, and he did copy our cards and send the copys in to them, with the contract.

I don't know what a FUN number is. Sorry. (FAN?)

Ray D  ;D

By the way, asking for a discount, senior or otherwise, almost always works. Works for me at Auto Supply stores, for example. Works at most restaurants. Haven't found a grocery store or a gas station, where it works, yet.  ::)

Regarding AT&T, go into a company store (not independent).  They will process it for you.  Additional hint - when providing the 2 ID's, we pulled out a retired airline employee card and got 21% instead of 15% veterans, so check your options!  The company store employee also  matched an on-line deal for an air card ($0 w/rebate) and waived the normal $36.00 fee.  They're hungry.

Back
Top Bottom