Power Steering leak on Horizon 40AD - Cummins 400 ISL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LK23

I took my Horizon to the local Freightliner service facility for its annual oil change.  They found hydraulic fluid leaking around the power steering pump.  After cleaning, they tightened the hose fitting coming into the top of the pump.  After running for a half hour they felt they had found and corrected the problem.  They also found the hydraulic fluid reservoir to be over-filled and removed some fluid??

I am hoping this has resolved the problem.  We plan to depart soon on our next trip and I will watch for leaks.

Has anyone else experienced this, either a leak of over-filled reservoir?

I would be a little concerned about removing fluid. I do know that the fluid has a tendancy to expand a bit when hot.  So if you remove some and then the fluid cools overnight you may be in an underfill situation.  That may not be the case, it may have been overfilled before but I would check it in the morning to be sure. 

Sarge

We had a 'weep' in our power steering reservoir from the factory - it was a bad weld in the seam of the can.  Freightliner installed a new can and that was that.

I have noticed a very minor leak in the area of the lower forward corner of the transmission cooler, but the darned thing is that it comes and goes.  Freightliner looked at it last summer and found no problem.  Just a month ago I noticed a spot on the concrete where I obviously had the same leak back  :mad:  We have an appointment at Freightliner for next Thursday and I'll get them to look around again.

Chances are good they fixed the leak, but never assume anything!

LK23 said:
I took my Horizon to the local Freightliner service facility for its annual oil change.  They found hydraulic fluid leaking around the power steering pump.  After cleaning, they tightened the hose fitting coming into the top of the pump.  After running for a half hour they felt they had found and corrected the problem.  They also found the hydraulic fluid reservoir to be over-filled and removed some fluid??

I am hoping this has resolved the problem.  We plan to depart soon on our next trip and I will watch for leaks.

Has anyone else experienced this, either a leak of over-filled reservoir?
Have the vin run for a recall notice on a faulty powersteerning pump filter screen. Our 06Tour had a leak for weeks everyone had the answers, but still found the resoivor overfull. Then at 10o'clock running down the highway, the return line blew off the steerning box and no more power steering. next week got a recall in the mail. Bad filter comes loose, and plugs up the return line building up pressure thru the system. please check it out before you go anywhere. loosing ps at night at 70mph....I don't wish that on anyone..kevin

Back
Top Bottom