Waterproofing/sealing a glass Skylight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adun015

What is the general method for sealing / waterproofing the edges of a glass skylight? It's not cracked or broken. This would be a sealiant to go around the frame.

Here's how I resealed a skylight. It's possible that all you need to do is add Eternabond tape to create an effective, permanent seal.

Tom said:
Here's how I resealed a skylight. It's possible that all you need to do is add Eternabond tape to create an effective, permanent seal.

Tom,
Great looking repair but alas yours is not like mine. The only way I could do that would be to add a pop-up Plexi covering. I have a flush glass skylight with an aluminum housing mounted direct to the roof. It looks more like a side window than what your's is. I have only seen a drop or two and that might actually be condensation but I wanted to go ahead and do a seal of some kind since I was doing major leak water proofing on the roof. I want to make sure I don't create a ponding effect on the Skylight. Good week-end too I might add. Replaced 4 plumbing vents, the refrigerator vent seal has been covered as well as the main kitchen vent seal with Eternabond. I also started on the roof rack and the exposed bolts. The finsh will be when I get to tackle all the up from antennas. And then a go around to all screw heads with ProFlex sealant.
Any suggestion on mine or would you suggest doing a Plexi covering and then a seal of that?

I'm having a tough time visualizing your skylight Alan. A photo might help.

Tom said:
I'm having a tough time visualizing your skylight Alan. A photo might help.

I thought about that before leaving for work this morning but had already covered the top against the weather when I finished up yesterday afternoon at dark:30.
I'll try and snap a pix or two this afternoon.

Yours sounds like a typical residential roof skylight - basically a metal box with glass. Is it raised above the roof slightly?

At any rate, an RV roof lap sealer should do the job. Use the self-leveling stuff if it is all horizontal surfaces and the cling type if vertical.

Thank you Gary, you are right on. It is more like the older residental skylights. Thanks for the info. 

RV Roamer said:
Yours sounds like a typical residential roof skylight - basically a metal box with glass. Is it raised above the roof slightly?

At any rate, an RV roof lap sealer should do the job. Use the self-leveling stuff if it is all horizontal surfaces and the cling type if vertical.

DICOR self leveling Lap sealant worked great. I used a very thin link of it and the water just rolls to the corners and off to the roof.
I have not at this time used the ProSeal to finalize my roof repairs but hope to do so soon.

Back
Top Bottom