Dead animal odor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhandy

I bought a fifth wheel at an auction on Saturday. Just so happens that my uncle used to work at the dealership where the auction was held and he said the reason they couldn't sell that RV is there was a dead cat in it for about a year and they could never get the smell out after that. He says as soon as it warms up I won't be able to go inside and that I should try to get rid of it.
I would rather just keep it so I was wondering if anyone had a good idea for getting the smell out of it.
Thanks,
Jesse

Well. Air, Time and Fabreeze(TM) are your friends

However the first thing is looking for places odor can hide,  cabinets, carpets, air ducts and such can be a real female canine to get deorderized (Carpeting and fabrics may respond to Fabreeze or one of the competing products or may need replacement, Air ducts can be a real PITA (pain in the anatomy) as they may be burried where replacement is no easy task)

Do not forget the  basement and other storage areas either.

Baking soda is good for washing hard surfaces.. May help with carpet and fabrics too

Beyond that the only things I can think of are extreme and may do damage.

The first thing you need to do is get rid of the dead cat. Then get yourself an ionizing air purifier. That will certainly do the trick. They come in all price ranges, here is one I found at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/AIR-O-SWISS-2055-Ionizing-Washer-Humidifier/dp/B00012QCTU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1233615212&sr=8-3

Run a Google search on dead animal smell

You will get a number of results some of which look interesting.

I like the suggestions by John in Detroit. Also: a lot of fish houses use vinegar then cinnamon. Just to be sure though, shut the propane system off. A propane leak smells like a dead animal, and you could be experiencing two problems by coincidence.

If the body fluids of a dead animal have seeped into the carpet and subflloor (which is raw wood and porous), you may have a difficult time. I would try John's suggestions first and also shampoo the carpets with a pet odor elimination solution (most carpet cleaner rental places have it).

Have you been able to isolate the source of the odor yet?

It is still pretty cold here and I can barely smell any odor at all. My uncle thinks it will rear its ugly head once it warms up. I might try to go put a heater in there today and see if I can smell it more. thanks for the suggestions.

jhandy said:
It is still pretty cold here and I can barely smell any odor at all. My uncle thinks it will rear its ugly head once it warms up. I might try to go put a heater in there today and see if I can smell it more. thanks for the suggestions.

Wouldn't hurt to put the charcol in now as it could very well prevent the odor from even coming back when it gets warm.

I agree with Ron... Carbon is a natural odor absorber and charcoal  is carbon.. So is baking soda by the way (Which is why you add abakings soda to your wash water)

John123 said:
Try to use methods from here https://stoppestinfo.com/49-how-to-get-rid-of-dead-rat-smell-from-your-home-html.html . It is ways how to get rid dead rat smelling, but i think for cat and another dead animal it is good too. Let me know, if you get rid of this.  8)
Iwould guess if they haven't gotten rid of the smell since 2009 they aren't going to.

Danny Pyle said:
I would guess if they haven't gotten rid of the smell since 2009 they aren't going to.
The large majority of people who use this site are lurkers. In other words they read but don't register and contribute. So many people will find this information useful even though the OP is long gone.

SeilerBird said:
The large majority of people who use this site are lurkers. In other words they read but don't register and contribute. So many people will find this information useful even though the OP is long gone.
I know, it was kinda meant in jest.

Just wondering if an ozone generator would be any help?
Thoughts anyone?

If the OP can get used to it he is almost certainly going to have plenty of space around him at campgrounds.  8). I'd like a little more space - got me thinking about carrying a road kill with me.  It could be part of the set up ritual.  Level, slide out, water hooked up and road kill out. ;D

Bob T said:
Just wondering if an ozone generator would be any help?
Thoughts anyone?
That'a what morgues uses. Some bodies they bring in during the summer months are quite ripe. When you see the drivers come in with their heads hanging out the window, you know they have a good one.  I never could believe they would bring some of those bodies into the hospital. Sometimes you could smell the odor for a couple of days in the lower level where my shop was.

I worked years ago on a hospital expansion and one floor was next to the morgue/autopsy room, the exhaust fan for that room was at the 3rd floor level. I was never so glad to get to the next floor as when the exhaust fan would open and give us a full view as well as the aromas that came off one drowning victim who had been in the lake for a few days.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skidsteerpilot
Back
Top Bottom