Anyone interested in the "Stimulus Bill" ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He talks a lot about GDP (Gross Domestic Product) and spending but forgets to or doesn't want to take foreign production and spending into account. How many of our dollars are going overseas for foreign made products and interest on loans with overseas banks?

Wendy
Bolsa Chica SB

Lou (onaquest) said:
And just what did you see in there that's good for you? or me?

OH, I forgot, it's all good for you.........
No need to argue with you. The future will prove Obama correct.

The only thing the President and Congress can do to control and stimulate the economy is reduce taxes and reduce the size and scope of government. Anything else requires borrowing from the Federal Reserve which will require increased taxes to pay the interest on the debt which will never be paid by the way. Increasing the money supply as proposed , may result in a temporary bump but will inevitably result in massive inflation and the destruction of the dollar. The United States government can not print money on its own. It can only print money it borrows from the Federal Reserve/international bankers.

No program such as the present administration proposes has ever worked to improve the economy. The only programs which worked were tax reductions. Fact of history.

The most powerful person in the United States is NOT the President. It is the Chairman of the Federal Reserve, which if you don't know by now, is NOT a part of the Federal government and never has been.

I guess you never heard of the New Deal and programs like the CCC.

The only programs which worked were tax reductions. Fact of history

In solving the Great Depression, the only thing that worked was World War II and that was by no means a tax cut.  Nor was it a reduction in the size and scope of government.

seilerbird said:

Unfortunately I have heard of those programs, may have even studied them a bit.  ....before I formed my opinion.
The only thing the "raw new deal", accomplished was to delay the economic recovery of the '30s and early '40s by about 12 years.  The CCC and WPA were examples of government jobs made necessary because the "new deal' discouraged (if not prevented) private sector expansion and recovery from creating real jobs..  The sorry fact is that WWII had to come along and save the day.

We could use a "righteous" war about now. It is a grand unifying event, reduces unemployment dramatically and is a great economic boost as well. A "righteous" war has nothing to do with morality - it is any war that the bulk of the people support.

The best way I can summarize the stimulus bill is that as much as our candidates talked about eliminating pork in spending, they held up to their true intentions, and are trying to pass the largest pork bill that I can remember.  Almost everything in it is about expanding government and funding for projects that wouldn't pass the sniff test when congress has to come with their next fiscal budget.  Apparently they just got a new credit card with no balance on it.

I heard a commentator remark that whenever congress tries to ram through a bill for the common good it is like a bag of garbage.  They have to act fast because like garage the longer the bill sets around the more it stinks.

I would suggest that the next budget under our current congress be limited to 80% of last budget less the dolars approved in the two stimulus packages. 

Now...if they would just add money to finish landscaping our yard ($2-3 Million ought to do it)  then I could probably go along with the rest of the bill <g>..tim

seilerbird said:

They didn't work, do your homework. WWII is what improved the economy. And we are still paying a heavy burden for the New Deal.

I forgot, you can't tell a Republican anything.

"We could use a "righteous" war about now. It is a grand unifying event, reduces unemployment dramatically and is a great economic boost as well. A "righteous" war has nothing to do with morality - it is any war that the bulk of the people support."

We had one in 2003. 70% of the people of the US supported the war. We went from a massive surplus at the end of the Clinton administration to a massive debt and massive unemployment at the end of the Bush administration. Let's have another war is the Republican way.

OK folks, let's not get into a heated political discussion that could go downhill in a hurry. Please keep the discussion to the issue ("the bill") and let's avoid throwing rocks at one party and it's followers or another.

Thanks.

Tom said:
OK folks, let's not get into a heated political discussion that could go downhill in a hurry. Please keep the discussion to the issue ("the bill") and let's avoid throwing rocks at one party and it's followers or another.

Thanks.

I'm sorry Tom, but the whole purpose of this thread is to bash Obama's Stimulus Bill. I am the only one who has anything nice to say about our President. I think it would be a good idea if people were to give him a chance to do something rather than just bash him for trying.

seilerbird said:
I'm sorry Tom, but the whole purpose of this thread is to bash Obama's Stimulus Bill. yada, yada, yada.

Not true at all, but don't you find it odd that even our  (your?)  president doesn't like the bill?.

BTW - I just re-read  the entire thread.  Where was the Obama bashing?

No, but I will pay for it the rest of my life, and my 42 year old children will pay for it the rest of their life, and my 5 grandchildren will pay for it the rest of their life!!  And maybe their children.

No Obama bashing here.  I would like to see our Senators actually read and understand what they are voting for instead of just voting for what will get them cheap votes or personal gain.  I think Obama already told his party to reevealuate their priorities so that the bill could be passed.  So far they just keep adding to the bill.  At this point might be better for everyone if they passed the bill before even more is added <g>....tim

Obama is getting a swift and brutal introduction to the reality of American politics and Congress.  Even though he was a Senator for a short while, I'm guessing he sees it differently now.

It certainly is not my intent to bash Obama, but I don't see the Senate bill as being "his" in the sense that it lacks much of what he set as goals during his campaign. The House bill is perhaps a bit closer to his ideals, but still not there. And neither is  a bill crafted in the White House and sent to Congress for approval. Both are products of the  narrow Congressional mindset..

I don't have any idea if the Stimulus Bill will help or hurt the economy.  I don't beleive Congress knows either.  I think it will help if it boosts consumer confidence and people start spending again.  But it won't turn around until the majority believe that the worst is past. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom