1998 Dutchmen Price

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talon

Hi Everyone!

We are new to the forum, but not necessarily new to the RV world.  We enjoy the wide range of topics here and the help that people are willing to give.  That being said ;D, we have been looking for a used travel trailer with bunks for about a month and a half.  We have cash and do not want to spend over $6000.  We have found a 1998 Dutchmen 28' bunkhouse classic that we are very interested in.  From talking to the owners and looking at the many photos, it is a well-cared for one owner trailer that is fully stocked and ready to stay in.  I know what the NADA guides  are saying,($4500-$5000) and I also know that NADA is not gospel, so to speak.  After some light negotiating, they said $5500 would be acceptable.  This of course would be dependent on an inspection of the unit of course. In your educated opinions, would that be too much for a 1998 TT?  I am having a hard time finding comparable units for sale out there to use as references.  We are not out to steal a trailer from anybody, but on the other hand, like everybody,we don't want to pay too much. 
Thanks in advance and I apologize for the long-winded post. :-[
Regards,

Dave

That post is HARDLY long winded.  ;)  Welcome!  This is a great place to ask that and any other RV question you can possibly think of in the future.  And since it sounds like you have some experience, you could probably share some insight around the boards too.

Like many things, an RV of any kind is worth what the buyer is willing to pay.  If you feel comfortable paying $5500 for what you are getting, then sure it's an okay price.  NADA is not gospel, but it is a resource quoted here often... and with the current market, most RV's selling well BELOW the NADA Low Retail figure.  The only way I would financially pay more is if (1) the TT is in absolutely flawless shape and has nothing that needs repair/replacement, and (2) if it's the perfect unit for you and cannot be found anywhere else.  Then it may be worth it.  But don't overpay out of pity for the sellers or because you don't know any better.  Now you do.  :)

Thanks for the reply scottydl.  What you said just reinforces what my gut says.  We have not seen this trailer in person yet.  That might be tomorrow night.  It has been hard to find the trailer we are looking for. Many dealers we have talked to say that trailers in that price range aren't in their inventory for long. 
We will never overpay out of pity for the seller..........never.  It might turn out that this is the perfect trailer for us.  On paper and in photos, it is.  But until we get to step inside and look,feel and, of course, smell, we won't know for sure.  Thanks again for your reply.

Dave

Yes, $5500 is too much in this market.  NADA is not gospel, but it is more often high than low.  HOWEVER, it is also true that clean used trailers in that price range sell easily, even in this economy.  Since you say you are having trouble finding ones that suit you and this is The Right One, maybe you will want to grit your teeth and pay more than its true market value. Otherwise, make an offer you feel is fair and negotiate so more. Leave your name and phone and try to wait the seller out (running the risk that some less informed person will pay outbid you).

Take a close look at the tires and check their DOT manufacture dates (see our library if you don't know how to do this). Make sure all appliances work. If you are paying over book or even high book, the seller ought to pay for any repairs that can be identified as needed on the date of sale. Might even get him to pay for a mutually agreeable inspector.

Thanks for the advice RV Roamer.  We just returned from a 1 1/2 hour trip one way to see this trailer.  The trailer was in very good condition inside.  It was well maintained........inside.  Outside, it definitely showed its 10years.  The owners have tried to keep it up by washing it, but there is only so much you can do with rubber seals and trim.  The undercarriage looked good with minimal rust on the frame.  I then borrowed a ladder and took a look at the roof.  Needless to say, I was less than impressed.  :eek: There may not be any leaks now, but I don't think it would be too long before some water started creeping in.  The rubber skin was pretty bad and the caulking/sealant was cracked.  This trailer is not an option for us. 
I am not expecting perfection in our price range,  but I do not want to deal with patching or replacing a roof in a year.
Thank you guys for replying.  It helps to have someone back up what we are feeling in our gut.  I had a chance to visit the library to find the tire info and was amazed at the amount of info that can be found.  This is way cool as I have never felt like I know it all.
Thanks again.  The search continues...............................................................

Dave

Talon said:
The rubber skin was pretty bad and the caulking/sealant was cracked.  This trailer is not an option for us.

"Roof wear" is not uncommon on an RV that has been stored outside, as many are.  Patch repairs are not as hard as some might think, and will save you hundreds (if not thousands) to do yourself.  Rubberized roof products are essentially "mopped" onto the surface, and seams can be repaired/reinforced using Eternabond tape.  Do a search for "Eternabond" here and you'll find a wealth of threads discussing that magical stuff.

I'd just say don't rule an RV out just because of some wear items that you can handle yourself.  At the same time, I agree that this particular TT is not worth their asking price... but perhaps you can work *something* out with them depending on their need to sell.

Sounds pretty typical for an 11 year old trailer that was inexpensive to begin with. Definitely not worth paying over book or even average retail when the market is depressed as it is now.  I suggest you look for older high end models. They are generally built with better materials and hold up better in the long run. Will probably have some conveniences the lesser models lack as well.

What Scotty says about the roof is sage advice. If the price is right and you are reasonably handy, you can do a roof patch up fairly inexpensively by sealing seams and brushing on a roof coat like Kool Seal. It's not as a good as a re-roof, but can get you several years of use.

I didn't know that about repairing the roof.  that's reassuring.  By the way, our search has ended ;D We went and looked at a barely used 2006 KZ Jag 29' bunkhouse tonight.  It seems KZ trailers are well thought of so I was hopeful.  The ad said "never camped in"  ??? which meant the owner bought it to live in while his house was built. So it was bought, delivered and set up.  And that's it.  The ad also said $8500 OBO.  Must sell MAKE OFFER!
Adding in all of the options, the NADA low retail price was around $8200.  Using the advice given in the previous posts about the current market and what trailers are selling for, we decided to offer $7000.  Much to our surprise, they accepted :eek:  It was gently used by an older gentlemen in his 70's who took great care of the trailer.  The outside shows typical weathering and dirt, which will clean up easily.  Roof looked great.  The inside looked perfect.  I couldn't find anything wrong inside.  No loose trim, rips or tears. No stains or soft spots.  We gave them cash and drove it home!!!
Of course, while driving home I couldn't stop thinking " How the h@#* am I going to back this thing into our driveway surrounded by pine trees......at night!!!"  Fortunately, two of our neighbors came to the rescue exclaiming" Hey look, our new poker room!!".  I love our neighborhood.  8)
Thanks again for the help and advice!!

Here is a link to some pictures of our new toy:JAG Pics

Talon said:
Adding in all of the options, the NADA low retail price was around $8200.

P.S. When using NADA for price points, DO NOT add in the options.  They really are not worth any extra amount on resale.  ;) 

But no worries, it sounds like you did great with the price and congrats on the new TT!

Hi there!

We are new here too and I wish I could find a deal like that in my area.  We have been searching for over a month and would jump on a tt like the one you just got.  Congratulations!

(besides Craigslist, does anyone know of any other place we could look into?  we don't want dealers)

PEACE

Back
Top Bottom