Water Damage, leak repair; '78 Class C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronR

I purchased a 78' Dodge Empire class C motor home a few weeks ago. It seems to be in good condition on the mechanical side, but after the previous owner replaced the A/C unit the roof began leaking. When I acquired it I purchased an A/C seal kit from my local R.V. store but I'm not sure how to install it. I want to get the leak repaired so I can move on to the interior and repair the water damage. From the inside pushing up, the roof seems sturdy, other than the 1/4 inch wood material on the roof, would it be advisable for me to get onto the roof and make sure all the vents and seams are sealed? I was just unsure of the amount of weight the roof could handle. Do I have to comepletly remove the A/C to put the seal in? does it go in from the top or the bottom? I bought a Woodalls R.V. repair manual but it only briefly talks about this subject.

Thanks for any help for the "noob" Rver,

Aaron

Unfortunately yes, the A/C unit must be lifted off and the new seal put in place.  Removal of the inside control panel and filter housing will reveal the bolts that hold the unit in place (4, I think).  This will also provide access to inspect the area to assess any water damage.

I might mention that when the new seal is installed the seal should not be crushed all the way.  Follow the instructions for reinstalling the A/C. 

Thanks for the quick replies, and as to my weight question...I weigh around 200lbs, should I lay plywood or something across the roof to help spread my weight or should I be able to walk across it to lift the a/c unit out? It did not have a ladder from the factory so I'll be using an extension ladder to get up from the side I assume.

Most RV roofs will handle 200-250 lb "foot  prints" with no problems.  The exception might be a tin roof - some of the old ones had no plywood underlayment - just sheets of metal over ribs - and you could only step on the ribs.

I've been 200+ for more years than I care to think about and have walked on all of our many RV roofs without a qualm.  But if the water leak has damaged the wood...If in doubt, cut a couple 2x2 plywood squares to stand/kneel on.

Yes, you have to lift off the a/c as Lou described. The rubber seal goes between it and the roof, surrounding the 14x14 opening into the interior.

RV Roamer said:
Most RV roofs will handle 200-250 lb "foot  prints" with no problems.  The exception might be a tin roof - some of the old ones had no plywood underlayment - just sheets of metal over ribs - and you could only step on the ribs.

I've been 200+ for more years than I care to think about and have walked on all of our many RV roofs without a qualm.  But if the water leak has damaged the wood...If in doubt, cut a couple 2x2 plywood squares to stand/kneel on.

Yes, you have to lift off the a/c as Lou described. The rubber seal goes between it and the roof, surrounding the 14x14 opening into the interior.

Cool, thank you guys..I'll be safe just to be sure, it would be a bad day if I fell through and ended up on the table..haha.

Aaron,

Let me know the correct length and I'll fix it. TIA.

Tom - The thread title is 78' and it should have been '78. I was just kidding him.

Tom

Thanks Tom. I knew you were teasing him, but I wasn't thinking year (as in '78), and was trying to figure out if it was 18', 28', etc.

[edit]Fixed subject line.[/edit]

I knew he had a 1978 because he made the same error in his original post. He was just a bit sleepy. Gotta have humor around here to keep our sanity, or what is left of it.

Well I installed the seal, the leak seems to be fixed, I'll keep my fingers crossed..thanks for the help guys.

The next nice weekend we have here in Missouri I'm going to take her on her maiden voyage so I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures and do a whole "noob" write up for you guys...haha  :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strandy1978
Back
Top Bottom