My First Tied Fly - What a Laugh!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sheltie

Being a semi-adventurous sort, I tied my first fly today, a wooly booger.  When I say "tied", that may be a stretch.  I was following along with a CD and trying my best, but it never seems to come out the same way as the experts.  The biggest problem I can see right now (other than patience!) is learning the knots.  I've ordered a book to help me plus I'll google to help me as well.  At least my wife had the decency not to laugh when she saw the result.  I think the main reason she didn't is because she knows I want her to make the flies rather than me and she is trying to put off the inevitable.  Oh, it "only" took me a little over an hour to do the one fly!

Go ahead and post a photo of that first fly. Don't be too critical on yourself; Few of my flies turn out like the ones you buy commercially, but I've caught fish on some of the most unlikely messes I've dared to tie on a leader.

Not too many knots to learn. Fly tying requires half hitches an a whip finish. Tie the fly on the leader with a figure-of-eight  knot. Practice with a piece of rope, then downsize to string, and go down in size from there.

The most enjoyment comes when you catch your first fish on a fly that is your creation.(Often the fish are not too picky if the fly presentation and action is correct)----joe

Well...  It will happen that you will go down to the water to fish and the old pros there are going to take a look at your fly and laugh themselves silly.

Then... When they see what you find on the end of the hook, and on the stringer at the end of the fishing session..

As opposed to what they have

They WON't be the ones doing the laughing....... 

And remember he who smiles (You are too nice to laugh in their face) last.. Smiles WIDEST!

Funny thing about a Wooly Booger is that the uglier that you think it is the better the fish like 'em! Just find a fishy looking spot, tie it on and fling it out there. I bet it works just fine.

I've never seen anyone look closely enough at my or anyone else's fly to decide if they should laugh at it. If I'm fishing a size 18 or 20, "old" pros (or amateurs) probably won't be able to tell if I have a fly on the leader or not  ;D

BTW my other half uttered the magic words today - "maybe we could take a fishing trip in the RV in a couple of weeks".

Tom - interesting you should bring up a fishing trip in the RV.  I'm getting a power upgrade on my next week and my wife suggested that it would be a good idea to check it out and go to Inks Lake SP, not too far from here and fish while we're at it.  Well, come to think about it, she didn't say anything about testing the RV but she has been talking about fishing recently.  I'll take what I can get.

I'm already packing my fishing gear  ;D

Shelti:
What ever you do don't let the DW take over tying the flys!  I find fly tying to be as much, if not more fun that fishing.  Don't give up, it gets better.

My Dad used to tie his own flies all the time, and got pretty good at it.  I tried a couple of times and even got one to catch a fish.  I was pretty young then.  I couldn't do it now because my eyes are so messed up I can't go back and forth between close up and far away without getting a headache.  But it sure was fun back then.  Good luck and have fun, whether fishing or camping.  If you happen to do both, you just got a bonus!

Back
Top Bottom