12 volt coach batteries.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well for one thing, our last coach was a Sportscoach Encore.  Sportscoach is often derided as "entry level". Yet there they were: four (4) deep cycle 6vdc golf cart batteries. Don't know what point I'm making, still unhappy with the cheapest possible battery. Oh well.

I think the point is that RVs often have an inconsistent level of quality/function in their components. A high $$ coach may still have some mediocre choices of components while a lower priced one may have some superior ones.

Another way to look at it, though, is that we all have different priorities and seldom do we find a rig whose mix of features and capabilities meets every single one of our individual needs.

Do the three (3) agm's serve you well or do you have to be on constant watch for overdischarging?

We have four (4) AGMs in this coach.  When I run the inverter I can easily push them below the 50% charge level that is the classic " no permanent damage" point of discharge. Frankly I don't worry much about the 50% level, but I do try to avoid ever going below about 30%. AGMs are supposedly more robust than flooded cells, but I do not have any data that substantiates this. Certainly the first set of AGMs that the coach came with did not hold up well (less than 3 year life) , but I have no idea how they were used or their initial quality level (they were not top name batteries).

On the other hand, I have a single Lifeline AGM that has really been around the block. It served well when harnessed in parallel with a pair of 6v flooded cell for three years (battery purists may now shudder) and has been used to power the trolling motor on my bass boat now and then, sat around idle in my workshop for a various time periods (3-4 months each) and replaced a bad AGM of another size in the current coach for several months. All those things are supposedly "bad" for a battery, yet it keeps on working like a champ.  Is it because it is an AGM or because it is a top quality battery (Concord Lifeline)?

Ask me again in 3 more years and I tell you whether my Trojan AGMs perform really well.  8)

One interesting thing I found in browsing the web came from LIFELINE.  I wish to stress that this info is SPECIFIC TO LIFELINE batteries only and may well not apply to other companies such as Trojan or East Penn (MK or Deka)  I would check it out before doing anything else

Where as Xantrex suggests a 30% Capacity re-charge rate (that is 100amp hour recharges no faster than 30 amps) for most batteries save Gel cells (25%) as the maximum for "Generic Battery Type"

Lifeline says 30% as the "Minimum initial charge rate"  and 300% as the recommended maximum.   That's some recharge rate!!!!!

Trojan, by the way, for their flooded wet cells, recommends 10-13% Capacity as the maximum recharge rate.

NOTE: those rates come from the company web site.  Not from a 3rd party such as Xantrex.

I still use Xantrex as my guide

Another interesting product I came across (Find info using Google or your  favorite search engine) is: Protonex M250-B

Here's the happy ending. Went to Findley RV and saw a "friend" of mine. ( He and I used to participate at the drag strip.) To shorted the story,
Findley replaced the batteries (3) that are labled RV deep cycle, and dated Feb 09. The Winnebago warranty had passed but things got fixed, at least for another year or two. Thanks everybody.
RV Roamer: while at Findley I looked at an American coach.  Talk about sweet! Plus, they don't come with that useless washer/dryer setup that not everybody wants, I know some do. The rear bathroom and shower are a knockout!!  I can't withdraw anything from the 402(b) without passing the "Obama line" or I would have brought it home. (That was not a political statement).
AGM's can wait.

Kerry

RE: washer/dryer

My rig came with the plumbing, and the wiring, but we opted for the storage space.  On reflection the cost of laundromat =roughly= the cost of the washer/dryer for us and the shelf space is a must,,, not to mention I use that heavy duty outlet for one device in the rig

And as for the full width rear bath.. I  do wish they would put in a larger shower (I am a big guy) but .. YES, lovely  And often if there is a full width bath in the rear there is a half bath up front too.. 2-holes, no waiting, very very very very nice :)

JID, can you get to your full bath with the slides in?  Can they both be used while underway?

Back
Top Bottom