Added a clothes hamper in the rig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
Here is my solution to the problem of where to put the dirty clothes between washings while fulltiming. Kicking that clothes bag around the floor, or stuffing it in a cabinet was not a satisfactory solution. So between the wife and I, we identified an area of dead space in the bedroom under the TV shelf in the corner.

The finished product

I used the skills of a good carpenter, who also happens be a good friends son-in-law. I roughed up the idea, and he designed the shape and the openings to put clothes in, and take them out. The shape of the cabinet mirrors the TV cabinet above thereby making it unobtrusive into the walking area around the bed. He measured the TV cabinet, then we subtracted an inch off of the dimension to fit inside the TV cabinet profile. The top lid was cut on the angle and then trimmed with a cedar moulding to make the top easy to lift. A piano hinge holds the lid solid.

Clothes into the top

The opening is big enough for large items like sheets or towels to be put in easily. I had planned to have the front just a solid piece of wood and to have it "box like". Dan, my carpenter, suggested a full size door that matches my existing cabinets to allow full access for the contents of the hamper. It was a great idea since it allowed us to make the cabinet a full 40" tall. He custom ordered the door, and then sent the cabinet to his professional "stainer" to match the stain on the existing cabinets.

The front door opens to remove the clothes

The results and the quality is awesome. And the DW loves the convenience of having the clothes out of the way, and all in one place. A truely great mod to help make our rig more livable for the long haul.

Sarge

Nice job Sarge. I think that's something my other half would really like to have in our coach.

I would love to have something like that if I could just figure out where to put it. I wonder if Gordon would mind if we took away his bed?

Wendy
Bolsa Chica SB

Darn!  you made me go out in the cold and look around for a place to put one.

Lou (onaquest) said:
Darn!  you made me go out in the cold and look around for a place to put one.

And did you find one? I'm still looking. There's a nice spot high up on one wall where we could put one upside down (removable bottom to let the dirty clothes fall out?).

Wendy

Wendy said:
And did you find one? I'm still looking. There's a nice spot high up on one wall where we could put one upside down (removable bottom to let the dirty clothes fall out?).

Wendy

LOL, I think that's the one we are using now, Wendy.  I was even thinking of putting in a laundry shoot directly to the service bay so that after I dump the tanks I can just wipe my hands (on yesterdays shirt?) and throw the whole mess in the trash.

Drat, now I have to go back out in the cold, pick the dirty cloths off the bedroom floor, and see if that's a good place for the laundry shoot.

Back
Top Bottom