Remodeled Kitchen drawer bank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
The other half of my trip to the carpenters shop was to remodel the drawers that hold the kitchen utensils on the right side of the sink. While conviently placed, they were not designed well. The first thing the DW noticed when we walked in the rig the first time was that there was no handle on the top drawer blank. At the time I assumed that there was an obstruction behind the blank so there was no drawer. Even so they should have put a handle on it. Within a few weeks I has ordered one from Winnie. It sat in a drawer for over a year! But adding the handle greatly improved the look of the set of drawers.

Added handle to top drawer blank

Later, a buddy and I were poking around the cabinets and discovered a huge amount of wasted space behind the drawer bank. Not only would a top drawer fit, by removing the plywood backing that Winnie had fabbed into the cabinet, we were able to increase the depth of the drawer from 10" deep to 20" deep! I am assuming too that Winnie did not put in the top drawer because it was not as deep as the other drawers. Here is what the wife found to do with her new "skinny" drawer.

Knife block drawer

The drawer is about 3" deep and holds her knife block perfectly.

To gain the maxium benefit from the new drawers, we built an angle on the back of the drawer to accomidate a cabinet brace in the back of the cabinet. The right side of the drawer is 17" deep, and the left corner is 20" deep. The extra space was HUGE for the DW storing her kitchen goods.

Deep drawers!

I am assuming that is why Winnie chopped the drawers off so short to start with. Make it easy and quick and move on.

Before most of these kitchen gadgets wouldn't even fit in the drawer, let alone all the extra stuff that she needs.

Kitchen tools

As a finish to the drawer project, this is was a skinny 6" wide cabinet that is about 23" tall and had no shelves. To make it more usefull, we added 3 shelves with a 1" lip on the front to hold all the DW's cooking spices. It freed up a lot of other shelf space that was better used for larger grocery items.

New spice cabinet

I applaud Winnie for making a cabinet here at all. It is wedged in next to the drawer bank, and is triangle shaped. The shelves were cut to angle, and fitted in the space. The fronts were added after the shelves were in place (a geometry problem). But Dan, my carpenter did a great job figuring it out.

All in all we recovered a great deal of usable space, with not too much effort. Dan made the drawer bases in his shop and reattached the original fronts. All of these projects, the kitchen drawers and spice shelf, and the bedroom clothes hamper were done in one day. The hamper took an additional day because we had to order the front door and had the cabinet color matched for stain. Well worth the time and money.

Sarge

Sarge - now you're really messing with my head  ;)  I have been in a thinking/planning mode for several months about changing my drawer boxes.  For one, I don't have full extension slides, so everything at the back of the drawers is difficult to reach.  I think in '06 the Vectra/Horizon (at least, maybe it trickled down the line) went to full extension.

Undoubtedly there is a lot of wasted space in my rig as you found out in yours.  When we rebuilt our boat, I recovered a whole lot of storage space that was previously unusable.

Great effort Sarge and thanks for taking the time to share with the gang!

Thanks John, this was one of the mods that really made the DW happy.  Pretty simple too, when you get a good cabinet guy!  He knocked out both projects in one afternoon. Of course he had his own cabinet shop!  I'm not sure if I am done yet, the DW is talking about adding a floor level cabinet behind the recliners...... ???

SargeW said:
..... I'm not sure if I am done yet, the DW is talking about adding a floor level cabinet behind the recliners...... ???

;D :D ;D If you are a performer, others expect a lot from you; due to your success, I expect you will continue to be busy.

Sarge, you are one busy puppy !! And Mike is mad because now I've got him looking to see if there's wasted space behind and around our drawers so we can make them bigger.

BTW, how did you get a picture of my tool drawer  :D

Oh, and FWIW, Mike added 2 drawers in our Sightseer bathroom along the throne where there was one drawer and a whole lot of empty space below that one.

Wendy
Bolsa Chica SB

Hi Wendy,

The DW wanted to shoot me for posting those pics!  I know what you mean, there is a bunch of space all over the RV that I will eventually convert.  Some of it is pretty sneaky.  Like the empty speaker spaces in the overhead cabinets over the driver and passenger seats.  Good cubby holes...........

SargeW said:
Hi Wendy,

The DW wanted to shoot me for posting those pics!  I know what you mean, there is a bunch of space all over the RV that I will eventually convert.  Some of it is pretty sneaky.  Like the empty speaker spaces in the overhead cabinets over the driver and passenger seats.  Good cubby holes...........
THAT ONE oughta be a contest as the most inventive use of that space.

I was going to keep it simple and install speakers (go figure that..) and convert the A-B speaker switch to a flip-flop: little speakers<> house speakers. No more driving down the road waiting for a red light to unhook and jump up to flip the friggin speaker switch!

Yeah, I thougt of that one myself, then I realized that's what the DW was for ;D (among a million other things!!)  I actually thought of putting those little spring loaded catches on the top and bottom of the inside panel and using them as "secret" storage places for whatever.  Haven't decided as yet tho........

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom