Wifi signal booster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just wondering, how did you pass the coax through the RV ?  I have seen flat coax the satellite guys use so a window can be closed on it. So far though I have not been able to find any.

Thanks,

Jack.

Thanks for posting the photo of your mount. I have ordered the same booster and now will fab a mount like yours !

Jack.

Here are a couple of pictures of how I made a mount and then mounted it for my high gain Hawking antenna.

Attachments

• DSCN0015 (Small).jpg
    DSCN0015 (Small).jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN0016 (Small).jpg
    DSCN0016 (Small).jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 60
Wayne, another mounting question. The bracket is held by a couple of substantial bolts and nuts.

Did you drill through the RV wall and secured them from the inside? Looks pretty secure to me. Any special plates/washers etc?

carson FL

That looks like a very good mount. Let me see if I have the parts list properly.. The L-bracket bolted to the rig looks like a flat surface CB-Antenna mount ,, Then a standard antenna spring to the other L-Bracket (Same as the 1st)

What's the square black card?

The last big trip we took found us with a variety of wifi signal strengths so we purchase a booster made by Linksys
(model # wusb300n).  We noticed an improvement with it--it allowed us to get on line when we hadn't been able to before.
Dave

The brackets are mounted with bolts all the way through the wall and also through the Winnebago steel cage inside. There is nothing special inside.

The ?L? brackets are hand made from angle aluminum. The spring is a standard small CB spring. The upside down construction was to keep the mount as short as practical. The round piece of pipe came with the antenna but was cut to the shown size. The black square piece is a sticky back plastic mount that uses a tie wrap to hold the cable in place. It came off and is floating in the air.

The spring idea was to make the antenna movable and not break, if it was hit by a tree limb or equivalent.

The Wi Fi adapter is in the cabinet just inside and uses a cable about 15? long that came with the antenna. The adapter attaches to the computer with a USB cable.

I think I answered all of the questions and then some.

Wayne

After reading this thread I bought the JafaTech USB booster. Right now I am parked in the same spot that before I could only receive two networks, and neither one strong enough to connect. Now I receive five of the campground networks, and signal strength is excellent. I had my doubts about this working, but so far it sure seems to. I mounted a section of 3/4" conduit pipe to my rig ladder with the antenna bracket mounted to the pipe. This stays on the ladder. Once at the campsite I just attach the antenna and run the cable though the emergency exit window in back.  Later I will have to look at a cleaner install, perhaps like those using the batwing antenna.
Thanks everyone for sharing your information on this.

Jack.

dgshaffer said:
I installed this JefaTech Repeater. I mounted it on my Winegard. I bought the repeater type so that when I travel with friends we can all log in from anywhere in the MH. So far so good. When testing it in my driveway I went from seeing 3 local networks to 8

You can see it in this photo

Still trying to decide on which system to go with, and this JEFA repeater looks best, since both DW and I can connect both our laptops simultaneously. But before I order it, I have a question. In googling this system, I read where it locks on (only?) the the STRONGEST wifi signal, and if that is the case, it would not be suitable to me. We have been in many CG's where someone had their own secure wifi system, which had a stronger signal than the CG's signal that were were supposed to be using. Locking on to the strongest wifi would lock us out of internet access, in these cases.

So Don, have you encountered this with your JEFA repeater?
Could I also bribe you into making one more of those neat mounting brackets?   ;D ;D

CaptBill said:
I read where it locks on (only?) the the STRONGEST wifi signal, and if that is the case, it would not be suitable to me. We have been in many CG's where someone had their own secure wifi system, which had a stronger signal than the CG's signal that were were supposed to be using. Locking on to the strongest wifi would lock us out of internet access, in these cases.

I'm sure that would NOT be the case, although I do not own the system or have personal experience with it.  The "strongest signal" comment likely means that the device would lock on and use the best available wifi connection.  That's actually a good feature, since wifi signals can vary it means you would always have the strongest available link.  I imagine a locked network would not be considered available by that definition. 

I'm sure a quick call to the manufacturer's tech support (see their website for contact information) could clear up this question, if nobody here knows for sure.

Thanks for the reply, Scotty. From reading the earlier posts about this system, it appears that it will show multiple AP's, but when googling, I found two different router forum threads that indicated it locks on the strongest. The problem with that, as I see it, is that the strongest signal is not necessarily the one you want.

We stayed in an RV park in Naples, and they gave me the access code to their encrypted wifi system. I was actually one of the weakest signals in the park, with several being 5 green bars (strongest), that were also secure, but were someone's provate residence or other RV. So I want to be sure I can select the particular one I want to connect to, irregardless of it's strength relative to the other signals.

I will call JEFA when the open on Monday, and post back, unless someone else here knows how it works when it encounters multiple signals.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom