Fuel filler neck replacement is underway :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Canfield

Site Team
We are currently in the waiting lounge at Freightliner Tolleson (Phoenix) while we are getting some work done on the Horizon.  They did an M2 maintenance, generator service, and are in the middle of changing out the filler necks.

The old filler necks have a vent tube of 1/2" diameter, the new necks have a vent tube diameter of 7/8".  One unforeseen problem that came up late today was how do you couple a 7/8" hose barb to a 1/2" hose barb on the tank.  Neither the tech nor I realized that Freightliner was to supply an adapter, so that was just ordered.  I have no idea where parts come from (please, not Gaffney) so it will be interesting to see what happens.

The tech has replaced two fuel tanks in this campaign, but we are apparently the first training opportunity for the filler neck change-out  :p

These guys are really, really good here, so I'm sure they will take good care of us.

Update: 5PM MST:

The adapters will be delivered at noon tomorrow  ;D.  The guys will finish up everything possible in the morning while they wait on the parts.  So we need to have the coach ready to go at 7AM again  - oh well...

Update: Friday, 2/6/09 - 3 PM MST:

The 'adapters' as delivered late morning were a 5/8" male pipe thread to hose barb and a 1" male pipe thread to hose barb.  What was missing was a 1" to 5/8" coupler/adapter, so Freightliner had to chase around for two adapters.  The left side filler neck was installed without too much trouble, but the right side caused much grief.  The new filler neck made a turn the wrong way and the tech had to cut the last several inches of the pipe off so the hose from the tank would line up with the new filler neck.  He should be finished up within the hour - looks like we'll spend another night here since it is getting late  ::)

Update: Friday, 2/6/09 - 5 PM MST:

Hey we're done.. too late to go anywhere, we'll leave in the morning.  Jacks down, slides out. 

Uh-oh - there is a terrible noise when I put out the left-hand slide.  Thank goodness Jane said STOP!  The tech (a really, really good and competent tech) has fastened some sheet metal together that shouldn't have been and the slide moving out has caused some minor damage to some underlying sheet metal and square tubing on the inside of the fiberglass.  Hard to explain - see the picture. 

Stuff happens.

We're here for another three wonderful days.  At least it's free camping.

Attachments

• FillerNeckOops.jpg
    FillerNeckOops.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 138
A big ouch John. Hope they get it fixed promptly.

John,

Many of us are watching your experience with great interest.  Please post a summary once it is completed with time, cost, problems, etc.

Rex - I have some pictures to Photoshop and I need to get a few from my phone and then I'll probably create a web page.

At this point I am completely unsure of how effective the 'fix' will be since the vent is still limited to 1/2" ID at the tank and out maybe a foot or so.  What actually was needed is the new tank with the 7/8" vent out the top and the new filler necks with the larger vents, but I might be pleasantly surprised at my next fueling - we'll just have to wait and see.

If we still have the same fuel filling issues as before, then lots of time and money have been wasted.  The techs here must have put in at least 10 man-hours of labor since they ran into so many fit problems and the lack of parts and apparently the lack of any written instructions.  Now, there is minor damage to repair by the Freightliner body shop on top of everything else.

The pioneers are always the ones with the arrows in their back  ::)

Thanks for the interesting updates John.  Did you drive all the way to Phoenix just for your service at this particular dealer?

Well, kinda-sorta.  Freightliner in Tolleson is good enough to find excuses to head their way.  We were planning on hooking up with friends in the Yuma area, Las Cruces, and hanging out in southern Arizona to miss some of the Texas winter (and to exercise the coach.)  There is also the bonus of a pretty good Cummins dealer only a couple of miles away, a Costco just up the road, and all of the big box shopping you could want within a five mile radius.

There are three techs dedicated to strictly motorhome work, so they have a lot of experience.  Also, when you mention you want an M1, M2, or M3 service, the service writer doesn't look at you with a puzzled expression on their face (like Rex's experience with a Freightliner dealer in Denver!)

John: That's a real bummer! Sorry to hear of the problem. As you know, those folks are probably the best service center in the country. If and when I need some special care I'll return to them in a heart beat.
All is going well here, so if all possible we will see you in Yuma.
Hang in there...

Yea!  Five nights of "free" camping is finally over!  Freightliner repaired the minor damage reasonably well first thing today - it's not quite where I would like it, so I'll spend more time on it when we return home.

We tried the new filler necks this morning and it's too soon to tell if the fix was a major success, minor success, or made no difference.  We needed 48 gallons of fuel and with a truck pump nozzle at its lowest setting, it clicked off at 33 gallons pumped.  I think I could get the last 15 gallons in a little faster than before, but time will tell.

We had fueling experience #2 yesterday.  We took on a total of 79 gallons at the Flying J RV pumps (small nozzle.)  With the pump set to its highest fuel delivery rate, it clicked off at 64 gallons pumped.  I'm almost positive this is quite a bit better - previously the pump would have clicked off about 20-25 gallons shy, and I don't think I could have used this high of a delivery rate.

The last 15 gallons seemed to go in quite a bit faster as well.  Without a doubt, the new filler necks have made quite an improvement.  I'm sorry I wasn't a candidate for the improved fuel tank as well - the new filler necks plus the improved tank (better venting) would make filling a very fast and easy process.

It is a very good feeling to have our coach squared away and shipshape  8)

Does your new filler neck, stop the fuel from spilling out if it is too full?
On our 99 windsport, if I fill it right to the top it spills fuel out a little.

It is almost like you are peeing up hill the way the tank is.

Any thoughts?

Jason

jeverden said:
Does your new filler neck, stop the fuel from spilling out if it is too full?

There is no fuel spillage when the nozzle clicks off automatically.  When I sneak the last few gallons in, I certainly can (and have) get some fuel running out.

Hi John,

I am glad to read that the filler mod seems to work to some extend. Like you , I had some serious doubt that it would make any improvement at all being that the vent line was brought right back to 5/8" entering the tank.  I am in the process of tackling this problem as well as you probably gathered from previous posts but I got side tracked by some other issues.

I hope the damage to your coach was made right by Freightliner. I guess this was a case of doing the job to well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom