Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: Fuel filler neck replacement is underway :-)  (Read 18395 times)

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
Fuel filler neck replacement is underway :-)
« on: February 05, 2009, 04:52:07 PM »
We are currently in the waiting lounge at Freightliner Tolleson (Phoenix) while we are getting some work done on the Horizon.  They did an M2 maintenance, generator service, and are in the middle of changing out the filler necks.

The old filler necks have a vent tube of 1/2" diameter, the new necks have a vent tube diameter of 7/8".  One unforeseen problem that came up late today was how do you couple a 7/8" hose barb to a 1/2" hose barb on the tank.  Neither the tech nor I realized that Freightliner was to supply an adapter, so that was just ordered.  I have no idea where parts come from (please, not Gaffney) so it will be interesting to see what happens.

The tech has replaced two fuel tanks in this campaign, but we are apparently the first training opportunity for the filler neck change-out  :P

These guys are really, really good here, so I'm sure they will take good care of us.

Update: 5PM MST:

The adapters will be delivered at noon tomorrow  ;D.  The guys will finish up everything possible in the morning while they wait on the parts.  So we need to have the coach ready to go at 7AM again  - oh well...

Update: Friday, 2/6/09 - 3 PM MST:

The 'adapters' as delivered late morning were a 5/8" male pipe thread to hose barb and a 1" male pipe thread to hose barb.  What was missing was a 1" to 5/8" coupler/adapter, so Freightliner had to chase around for two adapters.  The left side filler neck was installed without too much trouble, but the right side caused much grief.  The new filler neck made a turn the wrong way and the tech had to cut the last several inches of the pipe off so the hose from the tank would line up with the new filler neck.  He should be finished up within the hour - looks like we'll spend another night here since it is getting late  ::)

Update: Friday, 2/6/09 - 5 PM MST:

Hey we're done.. too late to go anywhere, we'll leave in the morning.  Jacks down, slides out. 

Uh-oh - there is a terrible noise when I put out the left-hand slide.  Thank goodness Jane said STOP!  The tech (a really, really good and competent tech) has fastened some sheet metal together that shouldn't have been and the slide moving out has caused some minor damage to some underlying sheet metal and square tubing on the inside of the fiberglass.  Hard to explain - see the picture. 

Stuff happens.

We're here for another three wonderful days.  At least it's free camping.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 07:13:14 PM by John Canfield »
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
Re: Fuel filler neck replacement is underway :-)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 09:19:54 PM »
I am sure they will do a good job for you John.  Bet it will be nice having the new filler necks.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 04:08:49 PM »
-bump- Original post updated
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 07:14:38 PM »
-bump- Original post updated, yet again.  This time it's not good news  :-\
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 08:42:53 PM »
A big ouch John. Hope they get it fixed promptly.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 09:25:36 PM »
Sorry to hear of the ouch.  Hope they can fix it promptly and properly.

LK23

• ---
    • RV cleaning tools
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 09:57:53 AM »
John,

Many of us are watching your experience with great interest.  Please post a summary once it is completed with time, cost, problems, etc.
2017 Dutch Star 4369
2015 Cadillac SRX tow car
Army Pilot, Vietnam 1971-72
Author of ACE, The Story of Lt. Col. Ace Cozzalio

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 10:26:58 AM »
Rex - I have some pictures to Photoshop and I need to get a few from my phone and then I'll probably create a web page.

At this point I am completely unsure of how effective the 'fix' will be since the vent is still limited to 1/2" ID at the tank and out maybe a foot or so.  What actually was needed is the new tank with the 7/8" vent out the top and the new filler necks with the larger vents, but I might be pleasantly surprised at my next fueling - we'll just have to wait and see.

If we still have the same fuel filling issues as before, then lots of time and money have been wasted.  The techs here must have put in at least 10 man-hours of labor since they ran into so many fit problems and the lack of parts and apparently the lack of any written instructions.  Now, there is minor damage to repair by the Freightliner body shop on top of everything else.

The pioneers are always the ones with the arrows in their back  ::)
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

FrontrangeRVer

• ---
  • 8,600 feet elevation up in the Rockies
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 10:30:15 AM »
Thanks for the interesting updates John.  Did you drive all the way to Phoenix just for your service at this particular dealer?
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
2 toads, depending on purpose:
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
2005 Hyundai Elantra

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 11:36:12 AM »
Well, kinda-sorta.  Freightliner in Tolleson is good enough to find excuses to head their way.  We were planning on hooking up with friends in the Yuma area, Las Cruces, and hanging out in southern Arizona to miss some of the Texas winter (and to exercise the coach.)  There is also the bonus of a pretty good Cummins dealer only a couple of miles away, a Costco just up the road, and all of the big box shopping you could want within a five mile radius.

There are three techs dedicated to strictly motorhome work, so they have a lot of experience.  Also, when you mention you want an M1, M2, or M3 service, the service writer doesn't look at you with a puzzled expression on their face (like Rex's experience with a Freightliner dealer in Denver!)
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Cliff Zimmerman

• ---
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 04:12:19 PM »
John: That's a real bummer! Sorry to hear of the problem. As you know, those folks are probably the best service center in the country. If and when I need some special care I'll return to them in a heart beat.
All is going well here, so if all possible we will see you in Yuma.
Hang in there...
Cliff Zimmerman
'04 Vectra 40AD

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »
Yea!  Five nights of "free" camping is finally over!  Freightliner repaired the minor damage reasonably well first thing today - it's not quite where I would like it, so I'll spend more time on it when we return home.

We tried the new filler necks this morning and it's too soon to tell if the fix was a major success, minor success, or made no difference.  We needed 48 gallons of fuel and with a truck pump nozzle at its lowest setting, it clicked off at 33 gallons pumped.  I think I could get the last 15 gallons in a little faster than before, but time will tell.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 06:34:18 PM »
Web page created for the project.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 07:17:47 PM »
Quite an experience for 5 days of free camping. ;D ;D

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 08:02:52 PM »
Hope the filler mod works as you hope.  Glad you got it done.

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 02:01:23 PM »
We had fueling experience #2 yesterday.  We took on a total of 79 gallons at the Flying J RV pumps (small nozzle.)  With the pump set to its highest fuel delivery rate, it clicked off at 64 gallons pumped.  I'm almost positive this is quite a bit better - previously the pump would have clicked off about 20-25 gallons shy, and I don't think I could have used this high of a delivery rate.

The last 15 gallons seemed to go in quite a bit faster as well.  Without a doubt, the new filler necks have made quite an improvement.  I'm sorry I wasn't a candidate for the improved fuel tank as well - the new filler necks plus the improved tank (better venting) would make filling a very fast and easy process.

It is a very good feeling to have our coach squared away and shipshape  8)
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 02:26:06 PM »
Good to hear you have a good improvement in filling with fuel.  Makes it much easier.

jeverden

• ---
  • 1999 FourWinds Windsport 30Q
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 05:23:02 PM »
Does your new filler neck, stop the fuel from spilling out if it is too full?
On our 99 windsport, if I fill it right to the top it spills fuel out a little.

It is almost like you are peeing up hill the way the tank is.

Any thoughts?

Jason
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 08:48:22 PM by Tom »

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 10:06:27 PM »
Does your new filler neck, stop the fuel from spilling out if it is too full?

There is no fuel spillage when the nozzle clicks off automatically.  When I sneak the last few gallons in, I certainly can (and have) get some fuel running out.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Harry B

• ---
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 12:41:54 AM »
Hi John,

I am glad to read that the filler mod seems to work to some extend. Like you , I had some serious doubt that it would make any improvement at all being that the vent line was brought right back to 5/8" entering the tank.  I am in the process of tackling this problem as well as you probably gathered from previous posts but I got side tracked by some other issues.

I hope the damage to your coach was made right by Freightliner. I guess this was a case of doing the job to well.
Harry - (Central FL)

2005 Horizon-KD
2013 Honda CR-V

FrontrangeRVer

• ---
  • 8,600 feet elevation up in the Rockies
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 07:46:58 AM »
John.....not bad for a $1,000 fix!   ;)
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
2 toads, depending on purpose:
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
2005 Hyundai Elantra

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2009, 08:26:08 AM »
I hope the damage to your coach was made right by Freightliner. I guess this was a case of doing the job to well.

Harry - yeah - they repaired it reasonably well, but I need to give it more TLC.  The repair isn't quite 'there.'

Mark - pretty difficult to cost-justify the project  :P

Edit to correct spelling...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 02:53:59 PM by John Canfield »
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

kevin

• ---
  • North West Arkansas..Go Hogs!!!!
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2009, 11:43:41 AM »
do you know if the vent location is in the top of the tank or right beside the fill tube?kevin
2006 Tour
2011 Buick Enclave

gave up on that winning lotto ticket!

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2009, 02:51:54 PM »
do you know if the vent location is in the top of the tank or right beside the fill tube?kevin

My vent is on the side near the top of the tank (not to mention it is 1/2.")  New tanks have a 7/8" vent coming out of the tank top.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

judway

• ---
  • We are at the house in West Melbourne, Florida
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 05:46:11 PM »
Do you have more than one vent plug on top? It seems to me that I saw several on the Freightliner chassis at the shows. If there are more than one you might parallel several into a manifold. Just one more would give you more than the 5/8".

Wayne
Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
2017 Chevrolet Equinox LT
Remco Towbar, Demco Baseplate & Air Force One Brake
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs      No Cats!
Retired Electrical Engineer (University of Cincinnati)
W4SRR

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2009, 08:05:05 PM »
Hey John,

A question about the fill ups you did before the repair.  When you were filling the tank before and the fuel handle would shut off, what did the fuel gauge read?  Did the gauge read full, or did you show room in the tank on the gauge?  Also, when you were filling the tank did the fuel ever rise to the mouth of the filler tube, or was it the foaming fuel that caused the shut off? 

I have been checking the fills on my rig lately, and it has always filled the same.  It clicks off, then I click it back on slow till it shuts off again.  Then I can usually see the fuel in the filler neck.  The gauge will always rest on the full line on the gauge.  But you have got me wondering if there was still room in the tank, or if it is really full.  The reason that I question that is that I ran the tank down farther than I usually do the last few fills.  When the needle on the gauge would just touch the red warning level on the 1/8 remaining part of the gauge, I would take on about 60 gallons to bring the gauge back to full.  It would also pretty closely match the gallons used on the VMSpc display.  However, that would mean that the tank should still have about 30 gallons + or - remaining in the tank.  Could that be right?  That is what has got me wondering if the tank had been consistently under filled, or does it just have a large low end reserve?  The tank is susposed to be a 90 gallon tank.   

Your thoughts?? 

Sarge
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 10:58:46 PM »
Do you have more than one vent plug on top?

Wayne - there are two

Hey John,

A question about the fill ups you did before the repair.  When you were filling the tank before and the fuel handle would shut off, what did the fuel gauge read?  Did the gauge read full, or did you show room in the tank on the gauge?  Also, when you were filling the tank did the fuel ever rise to the mouth of the filler tube, or was it the foaming fuel that caused the shut off? 

I have been checking the fills on my rig lately, and it has always filled the same.  It clicks off, then I click it back on slow till it shuts off again.  Then I can usually see the fuel in the filler neck.  The gauge will always rest on the full line on the gauge.  But you have got me wondering if there was still room in the tank, or if it is really full. ....

Sarge - different characteristics.  When my pump clicks off, the analog (Freightliner) fuel gauge will always read short of full.  When I trickle in the fast few gallons and I see fuel standing in the filler neck, we are plumb full.  The Freightliner gauge is reading full and I reset VMSpc to a full tank of fuel.

My analog fuel gauge is not linear or accurate except while indicating completely full.  When the needle is pointing to 1/2 tank, I have 60 gallons according to VMSpc.  At 1/4 tank, I have about 30 gallons remaining.  When my information center alarms low fuel, I discovered that 2% fuel remaining (should be 2 gallons) actually means about 12 gallons.

The big unknown is usable fuel - it's been a long time since I have flown, but I believe the fuel tanks on aircraft are calibrated in usable fuel and not gross tank capacity.  It would be nice if the Freightliner gauge was calibrated accurately and the warning actually indicated remaining usable fuel.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2009, 10:35:53 AM »
That's great info John, thanks.  It was a little surprising to see the needle touching the red area on the dash gauge, but the VMSpc still showing 30 gallons :o  Now that's a heck of a reserve ::)  But it does sound like I am getting a full fill, so that makes me feel better.  I can deal with the other part.  One way I thought of testing was to try to start the generator.  I believe the fuel pick up for the generator sits up higher in the tank than the engine pick up. If it starts and runs there must be sufficient fuel.  Does that make sense to you?
Marty--

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 11:19:12 AM »
Fuel gauges are often unreliable.  We use the odometer miles traveled to determine when to refuel.

The generator pickup tube is between 1/4 and 1/3 of a tank, so if the generator starts and runs, you have at least that much fuel.  However, if the fuel level is below the pickup for the generator, you'll run the fuel line dry and may have problems starting it later on.  I don't recommend that procedure for checking your low fuel level.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 02:01:34 PM »
Oops..... good point....
Marty--

Hosted by Over The Network