Vintage fly rod, anybody?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Hey Tom... you are a fly fisherman, aren't you?  A vintage 8.5 foot Montague Clipper split bamboo fly rod has come into my possession and I'm looking for a buyer. Actually, more like a collector.  It's all original and in beautiful condition.  Paul DeMar's 83 year old uncle gave a lot of his fishing and hunting gear to Paul and I ended up with all the stuff that is to be sold.  I hate to put it on eBay because really nice stuff like this too often goes far below its real value, so I've been asking around.

There's probably a buyer out there somewhere Gary. ebay might not be bad idea if you put a high reserve on it. I've never heard of that brand, probably because my days with split cane/bamboo rods were in the UK. I have one I got circa 1961, still in pristine condition, but I've never considered it to be vintage. What you have sounds like it's a lot older.

As you correctly say, more of a collector's item because it would be way too heavy compared with today's rod materials.

Montague was a popular (not high line) brand in the eastern US in the 40's-60.  There are still a lot of them around but really nice ones are rare enough to command a pretty decent price. The standard of workmanship from that area is simply not available today except in custom rods at big $$.  Hoping to get at least $100 or so for this one. The appraisal value is about $140-160 but on eBay it is sometimes hard to get even $100. On the other hand, one of the rarer Montague went for $413 a couple weeks ago, so you can never tell!

No chance of selling it too cheaply if you set a high reserve. OTOH it might not sell. Good luck, and I hope you get top $ for it.

Sounds like you and the buyer were both happy campers Gary. ebay is just one heck of a phenomenon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom