info on portable generators for a 5er

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do you need to run off the generator? That might help get you a better answer.

I will second Tom on that, what are you running.. If all you plan on powering is a 60 amp converter. 1,000 watts, 80 amp converter 12,000 -14000 watts. (I've done it with a 1,000 but the generator ... Well let's just say it's rating was a touch conservative)

Television: CRT color add 300 watts, LCD around 150,  Plasma perhaps 500 plus don't forget the starting surge on that crt (I don't know about plasma)

Microwave add 1,000 watts

Air conditoner add 2,000 watts, Fridge 400 (350 actually but leave overhead) water heater 1300-1500

Just add it up, don't forget a KW (1000 watts) for the converter/battery charger and... That's it.

NOTE Air conditioners do not usually draw that much power.. but you need to  add  more due to starting surge

Next you get to what to buy.. HONDA inverter units can often be run in tandem  There is a serious advantage to this in that unless you need full power (2 x 2000 watts = 4,000 watts) you can shut down one for re-fuling  while the other runs.  and also you can use just ONE if you don't need  'em both  saving on fuel that way  Plus if one should fail you are not completly SOL as it were while it's being serviced.

Some practical information

I have a 38' class A. 2 converters (80 and 100 amp) When I'm here at home I plug it into a 20 amp 120 volt line (2400 watts) that is enough to run ONE air  conditioner OR the water heater it runs the Microwave (Though if the A/C kicks in while the Microwave is running it can cause the click of darkness) I currently 100-1650 watts of heat along with the converters (Since batteries are full up the converters are sucking idle current and a little bit to run some radios and constant loads and one light)

Now if wife goes out in the summer and turns on an A/C and the water heater....  CLICK

During the summer I may plug into 30 or 50 amps depending on the site.. 30 amps I can run the entire rig, save only one air conditioner (So I split the other one off and plug it in separate from the rest of the house 30 amps is 3600 watts

Of course where I like to park, 50 amp sites. that 12000 watts (Something look strange about that math.. it should  The voltage doubled)

IF you can manage the power I'd go with a 2400 Yahama or a pair of 2000 honda's

Kenny,

Where are you going to carry it?  How much weight can you lift?

Probably buy the biggest Honda/Yammy inverter model that you can carry and lift.

I have the Yammy 1000i which means I don't do micro, ac, electric peculator, iron etc when dry camping.  I charges the batterys so I have lights, TV, computer, music.

Joel

I carry a Honda 2000i but that's not enough to run the AC. For that you would need either a 3000i or two 2000i's hooked together. The 2000i is light enough to carry around. The 3000i is a little too heavy IMHO. Anyhow, I leave the genset in the truck and hook the 5er power cord to it.

One thing, if you have a power monitor you may get a ground fault and a power shutdown to the RV. If so, you may have to go to the bypass mode.

Whatever you do, don't get a cheap contractor model.  Sure, you can get a 6500W for ~$1000 - but you'll make everybody in a mile radius mad at you.  (Think loud lawnmower.)

I'd go for the twin Honda 2000i's.

Back
Top Bottom