Question for fulltimers using a no tax state

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

utmtman

I have been thinking on changing my residence. Only thing holding me up is being tax exempt due to being a veteran. Hers is what it amounts to. We pay 12 dollars for registration of our RV it would be 1500 more if I were not a veteran for yearly taxes. Ok savings 1500. When we file yearly taxes we pay 400+ for state taxes on income. So I am still saving 1100 give or take.
Also would vehicle insurance go down any? It would probably go up in Florida from all that I have heard. I pay 1100 a year now with allstate and I am getting ready to change to GMAC for 845 a year.
What does one pay in those other states that have no income tax?
Would I save any more by changing or am I money ahead already?

I live in Nevada, a no tax state but I can't answer your questions because you are not telling us what type of vehicle you are talking about insuring. It cost us $185 to register our 97 Jayco and $500 a year in insurance. But the cost of insurance in Nevada is dependant upon where you live.

Are you talking about a trailer of some sort or a motorhome?  There's a huge difference if it has an engine!  Motorhome registration in Nevada is almost the same as in California.

Based on what I've read over the years in the various threads, you don't want to be too hasty in making this change.  You know the old saying Measure thrice, cut once?  Well, the same applies here.  You don't want to improve one thing and then have unintended consequences elsewhere that screw up everything!

ArdraF

Are you currently domiciled in Montana? Is the vehicle registration that low for all veterans or is it disabled veterans?

Just curious
Wendy

Ok I am talking about a Motor Home 05 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 37 Foot.
  I am a disabled veteran, so in Utah you pay taxes based on the percentage of your disability.  Since I am 100 percent I dont have to pay taxes until property exceeds 750,000 dollars.
  So on the car and the rv we pay 12 dollars each for yearly registration.  We pay another 25 dollars a year to get them safety inspected for that same registration but thats all.
  Unfortunately our state taxes which normally we pay 112 a year were changed this year when  they deleted a lot of the items that could be allowed for deduction.  So this year we pay 479 dollars.
  My present yearly  insurance 2580 for rv and car.  Our driving record is perfect as is our credit and so on.  We are changing to GMAC or Flying J which is National Interstate as soon as we get our fed taxes back.  Both are around 900+- 50 dollars a year for both vehicles.  Savings of 1700 a year.
  So we are also looking at whether we could save money on auto insurance, vehicle registration, and state taxes by changing our residence to one of the tax free states. 

utmtman said:
Ok I am talking about a Motor Home 05 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 37 Foot.
  I am a disabled veteran, so in Utah you pay taxes based on the percentage of your disability.  Since I am 100 percent I dont have to pay taxes until property exceeds 750,000 dollars.
  So on the car and the rv we pay 12 dollars each for yearly registration.  We pay another 25 dollars a year to get them safety inspected for that same registration but thats all.
  Unfortunately our state taxes which normally we pay 112 a year were changed this year when  they deleted a lot of the items that could be allowed for deduction.  So this year we pay 479 dollars.
  My present yearly  insurance 2580 for rv and car.  Our driving record is perfect as is our credit and so on.  We are changing to GMAC or Flying J which is National Interstate as soon as we get our fed taxes back.  Both are around 900+- 50 dollars a year for both vehicles.  Savings of 1700 a year.
  So we are also looking at whether we could save money on auto insurance, vehicle registration, and state taxes by changing our residence to one of the tax free states. 

I think your questions are too hard to answer for anyone here. You would need to contact the DMV and some insurance companies in the tax free states to get a true answer. Good luck

on the car and the rv we pay 12 dollars each for yearly registration.

There's no way you would better that in Nevada!  Think hundreds, plus smog checks.  But I also agree that you need to check with the states in which you have interest.  Choosing a domicile can be tricky because it may even impact your health insurance if you go from one coverage area to another.

ArdraF

In Colorado you'd get one free vehicle registration as a disabled vet but that's not much of a savings over the $12 you pay now. And you'd have to pay income tax.

Be careful of where you choose to claim a domicile. If you spend too much time in some states, they may go after you as a resident.

Utah sounds pretty good as a residence for a disabled vet.

Wendy
soggy Bolsa Chica Beach

Yeppers think I will sit on what we have for now.  Thanks for the answers  back.

I am not sure of all the "tax free" but I am sure that they are not all the same in how they treat Disabled Vets. Florida treats 100% Vets very good, as does my home state of SC. Texas, a income tax free state caps the property execmpton at like $50,000 or so.

Two things you can do: one, Google "Veterans Benefits by State" as there are some site that list each state and what they offer. Secondly, if you get it narrowed to a state or a few states, go to the website for that state. They usually have a "Veterans" icon, button or link. Good luck.

I am also a 100% Disabled Vet, and income tax doesn't matter to me since the comp is non-taxable. What is important is what the stagte offers in terms of property tax relief, car registration, state park discounts, free fishing/hunting license, etc.

Utah give the vets discounts to whatever their disability is so in example I am 100% thus exempt to 750,000 dollars for property, also have the free fishing license, free bus pass, to name a few of the bennys.  With that exemption we dont have to pay any yearly vehicle taxes or any other property taxes until the total of all property value passes the 750,000.  I have looked at the other states and none go that far.  Like florida south dakota discounts to 100,000.  I pay no taxes on my social security or my military disability incomes.  After talking to others and from different forum comments here and in other forums I am far more money ahead to stay where I am.  Also it seems that I cannot get vehicle insurance much cheaper in many other states.  Utah is #20 in the list of states for low insurance rates.  Only one state with no taxes is in the top 20 and that is south dakota and for me my insurance would only be 40 dollars less per year.  So I guess I will smile and be happy with what I have.

From my observations, Montana and South Dakota seem to be at the top of the list for many full-timers.  I don't know about insurance, though...or Vet's benefits.

A guy I talked to that had gone with SD said the DMV is real easy to deal with, no hassle getting new DL's,  and they get their yearly reg's through their mail service, no sweat.

Ron,

Our insurance rates are high and there is a nasty income tax.  I'm not sure though how they treat Disabled Vets but can ask around.  Property taxes are high too.

James Godward said:
Ron,

Our insurance rates are high and there is a nasty income tax.  I'm not sure though how they treat Disabled Vets but can ask around.  Property taxes are high too.

That is why very few fulltimers choose Montana as a home state.

I'm in Georgia and a lot of fulltimers are "officially" from Florida and Texas.  Don't know about the taxes regarding veterans, but as far as I know, there is no RV tax.  Might be worth checking on.

Your local VA may also be able to provide you with disabled vets privileges by state.

And btw- thank you for serving your country.

Best of luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom