New Converter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mc2guy

I installed a new converter/charger (PD9260) in my MH last month.  Since then, I have only used the new charger while under generator power since the MH is stored on a lot about 10 miles from home.  I have the MH at my house tonight in order to do some maintenance tomorrow, and I have had it plugged into 110 AC power all afternoon/evening.  Here in lies the question.

The Power Dynamics charger is supposed to be a three stage charger with boost/normal/float charge voltages.  We'll I have been plugged in all day, and the voltage monitor I have has not fallen below 14.2 volts the entire time.  It doesn't seem to be dropping off the boost mode.  Any thoughts as to why this might be?  I can't imagine the 2 group 31 batteries could possibly need the boost voltage for more than a couple hours?

Thanks for your help.

Christian

A bad battery or even just one bad cell in a battery can cause what you are seeing.  I would turn off the power, disconnect the ground from the battery to the MH and measure the voltage.  The wait an hour or so and measure the voltage again.  If it drops with no load on the batteries you likely have a bad battery.

Boost and absorption voltages are, as I recall (And I just now refreshed my Recall) around 4 hours would not be unreasonable for boost mode.  Also, unless you have load it can take time for the battery to bleed off the excess charge

Update...the charger just dropped to 13.3 volts and the pendant (or doppleganger as I believe you called it previously John)  is now giving the intermittent LED flash indicating float charge.  I am going to disconnect, let it sit and check the battery water tomorrow morning.

Dongle, pendent is a good word too

SO it's working,  Just took longer than you expected

I've seen some time/current studies on different converters.  PD does take a  bit longer.. If you put an ammeter in the line you might see why.. However I've not done that.... Yet

Remember, when you connect your power to your coach, you PD-9260 will AUTOMATICALLY charge at the highest rate for 3-4 hours.  If you dont want it charging at full rate, you can change your rate with the remote pendant.

FrontrangeRVer said:
Remember, when you connect your power to your coach, you PD-9260 will AUTOMATICALLY charge at the highest rate for 2 hours.  If you dont want it charging at full rate, you can change your rate with the remote pendant.

Exactly, which is why I was concerned that it was still at boost charge after 8 hours.  Seems like it is taking too long to get the batteries up to voltage.  I wasn't able to check the batteries with the hydrometer today...hopefully tomorrow before old man winter returns Monday.

Mark, I keep reading how the PD line does this or that for so many minutes

Can you please point me toward documentation on that.. I'd like to read it.

John, I believe it is stated in my owner's manual.  When you first plug in to a 120 volt source, your PD series converter will automatically go to the full charge mode (light on steady) for 3-4 hours.  Try it sometime....check your Pendant settings, unplug your motorhome and then plug it back in, and your PD converter THINKS your batteries are "low" and it will run at FULL output for 3-4 hours....not good.

When we unplug the motorhome for a short time, and then plug it back in, I make sure I change the settings on the Pendant to the float mode, as there is no reason for the full 14.4 volts of full charge for 3-4 hours.

Well, first I have the 9100 with wizard so I don't have the 9200 manual.. I do however have the Wizard's package insert on my hard drive and this is what it says (About manual mode switching) and I think this is where the confusion comes from:

"Boost Mode will only beenabled for UP TO four hours, to prevent over charging the battery"
(Emphasis mine)  UP to four hours.. Everywhere I go I see "It will go into boost mode for 4 hours" but the manual says UP TO FOUR HOURS

Then it goes on to say:

"Boost Mode is activated if the battery becomes discharged to a low level.
Boost Mode is also activated when the system exits the Storage Mode"

I suspect that last line his to do with the thinking that it automatically switches to boost when you first plug in

It also says (Earlier in the document)
The Charge Wizard is designed to be used the Progressive Dynamics Inc. Inteli-Power 9100 series converters. The Charge Wizard controls the converter's charging system and automatically activates theoptimum battery charging mode."

It also states that the wizard monitors the battery voltage and changes modes as needed.

None of this supports the "It will switch to boost mode" for a set period of time UNLESS.

If you have, say a 60 amp converter, and 2 pair of U-2200's (Golf Car batteries) and they are say 40% SOC well,  4 hours at 50 amps is 160 amp hours.. and you need over 200 to fill those puppies up.. So it's going to go BOOST for 4 hours, then it will drop out, measure the voltage and quite likely switch back to BOOST for 4 more.. Then it will drop out and may well do it one more time, this time dropping out of boost mode earlier as the voltage rises and current falls.

At least that's how I'm reading the package insert

I had a model PD 9190 (90A) in the previous coach and the Charge Wizard worked as John describes. Never had an overcharging problem with the 325 AH battery bank.

Hi all:

I have been reading this and most other threads on converters and I'm still a bit confused.  I just today installed a new PD 9260 and two new 12v wet batteries in our 2005 Itasca Suncruiser (I just couldn't cost justify the AGM batteries).  I did this upgrade in hopes of getting a longer life from the house batteries and want to make sure I'm utilizing it correctly.  I have the ability to stay connected to 110 shore power when I store the coach in the barn.  Given the "intelligent switching" between modes on the PD9260 , can I [or should I] A) Keep the coach plugged in to shore power when stored and B) Should I keep the stairway mounted battery switch in the ON position.  Thanks in advance for your input.  Regards 

With the 9260 (or the 91 with wizard) the proper procedure is more or less as you outlined.

Keep it plugged in

Check the batteries every once in a while (monthly suggested for the first year) to see if you need to add water

DO NOT TOUCH converter, let the brain in it control things

If it's working properly and your batteries are properly "Watered" when you start you should need to add water long about .. Well since you just put 'em in, April or May 2010

I'm trying to help a neighbor out who has just bought a (modernized) '93 Gulfstream motorhome and is having a problem with his Progressive Dynamics 9155 Converter with Charge Wizard.  It seems the converter is not charging his 12V house battery (he only has one currently).  While plugged into shore power and with the converter plugged in to a good 120V outlet, my voltmeter only measures 12.5V on the output side of the converter when it should be reading 14.4V in boost mode (with Charge Wizard light steady on).  The coach disconnect switch is not on (not in STORE mode) and both 30 amp fuses are good in the converter.  Voltage read at the battery is 12.5V also.

So it looks like the converter is not working, right?  But when he turns on his diesel generator, I measure 14V plus on the output side of the converter.  All other 12V and 120V appliances and lights work just fine off of both shore power and generator.  So why would a converter/charger appear to be charging properly when powered from the generator but not from shore power?

Another question.  The two cables leading to the batteries from the converter appear to be about 4 AWG gauge stranded cable.  The cable run from the converter to the batteries appears to be about 25 feet or so.  Both of these cables seem too big to fit the place where they connect to the converter.  They seem to be crammed into a hole of some type in the converter and held down by a screw on top.  Is this the way these cables are supposed to be connected to the converter or is there some kind of connector that is supposed to be crimped or soldered to the end of these cables before they are attached to the converter?

John In Detroit:

Thanks for your input, I'll follow your advice!

rsalhus:

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your first question, however, the cable connection method you described sounds similar to the PD9260.  The power and ground cables comes in on the horizontal plane and the set screw locking mechanism is on the vertical plane.  Also note the secondary chassis ground wire.  The User's Manual at this link:  http://www.progressivedyn.com/CONVERTER_MANUAL.pdf  will give you a graphical reference to the connection as well as some troubleshooting guidance.  Regards.

So why would a converter/charger appear to be charging properly when powered from the generator but not from shore power?

Now that's a conundrum!  Have you checked the 120vac outlet in both generator and shore power operation?  Run an extension cord from the converter power plug to some other 120vac outlet?

They seem to be crammed into a hole of some type in the converter and held down by a screw on top.  Is this the way these cables are supposed to be connected to the converter

Yes. The wires should fit neatly into the hole and be clamped with the screw. I suppose you could tin the end of the wire, but it isn't necessary.

Here is what P-D says about troubleshooting/checking converter output voltage:

http://www.progressivedyn.com/troubleshooting_pwr_con.html

Roamer, I saw a similar procedure but it didn't say anything about disconnecting the Charge Wizard before testing the voltage.  I also did not disconnect the positive lead because I didn't know if I could get it back in the hole again.  It is a big cable and looks to be about the same size as the hole, in fact, I see some strands have already been broken off getting it into the hole so I left it alone for now.  But with both battery cables connected and with the Charge Wizard connected and it's light on solid, the output voltage from the converter was only 12.5V.

Have you checked the 120vac outlet in both generator and shore power operation?

No, I checked it when on shore power and it measured exactly 120V.  How could it not work when it has 120V coming in?  One thing I just remembered, his shore power is only on a 15 amp circuit, but I don't think he had much or anything else running at the time we were testing the converter.  I guess we could check the 120VAC outlet when running off the generator, maybe that will tell us something.  And I suppose we could try connecting an extension cord to the converter and running off of a different 120V outlet too, like you suggested.

Also note the secondary chassis ground wire.

The secondary ground wire seems to be OK, it runs to the breaker box nearby.  I don't know how to test that.

rsalhus said:
I'm trying to help a neighbor out who has just bought a (modernized) '93 Gulfstream motorhome and is having a problem with his Progressive Dynamics 9155 Converter with Charge Wizard.  It seems the converter is not charging his 12V house battery (he only has one currently).  While plugged into shore power and with the converter plugged in to a good 120V outlet, my voltmeter only measures 12.5V on the output side of the converter when it should be reading 14.4V in boost mode (with Charge Wizard light steady on).  The coach disconnect switch is not on (not in STORE mode) and both 30 amp fuses are good in the converter.  Voltage read at the battery is 12.5V also.

Where are you measuring voltage?  If the battery has a shorted cell then you will never reach 14 volts AT THE BATTERY

You might (Depending on the size and length of the wires) reach it AT THE CONVERTER

You might try a disconnect and test the battery using a good load tester

A real quick way to test this is to run on a light and while looking at it "flip" the disconnect to "STORE" mode

If the light goes out,, Check the fuses on the converter (There should be two 30 amp. if you replace one replact both before restoring power)

IF the light gets brighter. it's the battery

Where are you measuring voltage?  If the battery has a shorted cell then you will never reach 14 volts AT THE BATTERY

The voltage was measured at the screws that hold the battery cables to the converter.  The battery is fairly new and also measured 12.5V just before testing the voltage at the converter.  If the battery had a shorted cell, why would the charging voltage be 14V + when running off the generator?

You might (Depending on the size and length of the wires) reach it AT THE CONVERTER

It reaches 14.4V AT THE CONVERTER but only when running off the generator, never gets that high when running off of shore power.

A real quick way to test this is to run on a light and while looking at it "flip" the disconnect to "STORE" mode

When setting the disconnect switch to STORE mode, the lights remain on (when connected to shore power).  I didn't notice if the lights got brighter (it was during the daytime).  Both 30 amp fuses tested good as I mentioned previously.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom