New Converter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ned said:
Lou, it's more important to be right than be first :)  I get up earlier than most (other than Tom, of course).

Ned, you are absolutely correct and if you didn't detect the target of my arrows, then I'm terribly disappointed in you.  But I think you did. ;) :D ;D

Subtlety is not my strong suit.  Tact and finesse are completely foreign.  I rest my case.  ;)

In new developments, Larry bought a new PD9260 converter today and we got that installed.  The 9260 has two inputs for positive cables and 2 inputs for negative cables coming from the batteries.  (The PD9155 had only one input for each cable.)  Since the battery cables were way too big for these inputs, we bisected each cable and were then able to insert each half into the inputs--two halves for the positive cable and two halves for the negative cable.  Larry needs some new battery cables for the two new batteries he's putting in, so we didn't get to test the converter out today.  Maybe tomorrow.

After seeing how little (barely half) of each of the stranded battery cables that was actually getting to the PD9155 converter, I'm wondering if that could have been causing this converter and previous converters to fail.  Remember, it's something like 25 feet or more from the converter to the batteries, requiring what I'm guessing to be 4 gauge cables.  The Charging Wizard and connector on the 9260 are different than on the 9155 and the connector appears to be identical to a telephone line connector.  Also, the 9260 has three fuses not two as in the 9155.  And I think the 9260 is actually smaller in size than the 9155 and the fan is on the opposite end of the converter on the 9260.

After seeing how little (barely half) of each of the stranded battery cables that was actually getting to the PD9155 converter, I'm wondering if that could have been causing this converter and previous converters to fail.

I doubt it.   All that reducing the cross-section of the wire will do is increase the amount of heat and voltage drop at that point.

Heating can be ignored unless there's signs of overheating at the connector.

Voltage drop is proportional to the length of the reduced cross-section and the amount of current flowing through it.   In the worst case all that will happen is the battery's charging current will decrease.   With 25 ft. of cable, anything less than a couple of feet of reduced diameter is insignificant and probably unmeasurable.   

The most frequent cause of short life is excessive temperatures that bake the internal components.   How is the ventilation in and around the unit?  Is it sealed in a little box or is there enough room for it to breathe?  Heat rises, so if it's mounted vertically make sure the fan is blowing air UP, not fighting convection flow by trying to blow air down.

How is the ventilation in and around the unit?  Is it sealed in a little box or is there enough room for it to breathe?  Heat rises, so if it's mounted vertically make sure the fan is blowing air UP, not fighting convection flow by trying to blow air down.

[I posted a reply to this a few times before but it got lost each time I hit the post button.  I've learned to save my posts now before hitting the post button.  ;D ;D ;D  Let me try again below.]

Ventilation around the converter is pretty good, plenty of open space above and around it and screened on the sides of the enclosure.  It's mounted horizontally on a board flat on the floor.  The fan on the 9260 is on the same side as the battery cable connections and faces the right screened side.  The fan was on the opposite side of the 9155.  I don't think heat was the problem before but I could be wrong.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom