Traveling with a pet to Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dean & Linda Stock

Dean and I (Linda) are going to Alaska this spring/summer with our cat, Sherlock.  We will be leaving from the Hop, Skip, and Jump Utah rally and touring Glacier National Park, Montana.  We know that Sherlock will need papers saying he is healthy.  However, those papers are good for only 30 days, and we'd like to use the same paperwork to enter both Canada and Alaska, so we will need to get them from a vet near Glacier NP.  We will also need a vet when we leave Alaska.  Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?

We will be following Betty Brewer's log, incorporated with info from other RV Forum's entries in the library.  Does anyone know anything that would be new or different for this year?

Thank you for any help that you can give us.  Will anybody else be there this summer?

Dean, Linda, and Sherlock

If you are heading for Glacier late May, early June, there is a good possibility that much of the park will still be snow covered and the Going to the Sun HWY will still be closed.  I haven't checked their snow level yet this year but the GTS HWY usually is not open much before July 4th.  The same is true for the Beartooth HWY on the MT/WY border.

We have good vets here but there are many along your probable routes between locations so you should not have a big problem finding one.  Possibly your local vet may know one along the way.  We have found this true for us in asking our local DR for recommendations.  It doesn't work often but when it does, we have been happy.

Hi Linda,

Good to see you on here.  How exciting to be going to Alaska.  This was to be our year to go to Alaska, but we have 2 neices getting married.  One in Indiana and one in Canada, so we opted to do the Maritimes this year and Alaska next year.

We took 2 cats and a dog into Canada in 2006.  At that time all we needed was a health certificate and proof of current rabies shots; including rabies shots for the cats.  That health certificate was good for a year.  The paperwork was done in May and we entered Canada in August.  Is the 30 day health certificate a new requirement?

We missed you in QZ, so it will be fun to see you at Hop, Skip & Jump.

Marsha~

My dog is a wolf hybrid and I took him to Alaska in '06.  He does get the required rabies shots, but the certificate is issued with an (*) because the rabies vaccines are not tested (verified effective) on wolves.  Still, no one questioned it.  I was only asked to show it one time.

If you need a vet in Fairbanks, I can recommend Mt. McKinley Animal Hospital. They are located at 800 Collage Rd. (907) 452-6104.

If you need them, tell Dr. Schomaker that Peg & Don Miller said HI.

Don, I used a vet in Fairbanks, can't remember the name off hand, when my dog got giardia from drinking glacier runoff.  I'm sure I have the detailed info recorded, but it's in the mh at the moment.

The information on the usual opening date of Glacier National Park has triggered a whole new itinerary.  Do you know about when it usually closes?  Maybe we could do it on our return trip in mid-September?  Or, is that too late?  We really appreciated the pet info everyone gave us.  Thank you, all!

I was there last August and went hiking in the snow at Logan Pass to Hidden Lake. There is no predicting the weather that far north.

Dean & Linda Stock said:
The information on the usual opening date of Glacier National Park has triggered a whole new itinerary.  Do you know about when it usually closes?  Maybe we could do it on our return trip in mid-September?  Or, is that too late?  We really appreciated the pet info everyone gave us.  Thank you, all!

Usually the pass and all of Glacier as well as Yellowstone is good till mid to late October.  HOWEVER, it can snow any time after Sept 1 and depending on the snow and other factors, portions or all may be closed for short periods till the total snow levels are such that they no longer plow the roads.  Also many of the facilities close shortly after Labor day.  By Sept 15 things are getting slim in both parks. 

I would risk September as I think it is the best time for both parks.

Jim
James Godward
Belgrade, MT
~

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom