What's in a name? Vectra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

Does anyone know the origin and reason for naming a popular Winnebago RV "VECTRA" ?

There are many automobiles and boats labeled by the same name. What does Vectra mean?

Another important question to discuss during happy hour.  :)

carson FL

Mike - that's really very good!  Actually I don't have a clue, but it sounds good to me  8).

Continuing in the spirit of carson's post, what is the origin of Itasca?

I hate to break the bad news but Vecta is a type of plastic.

That was a typo Tom, I can't see with my new glasses and I can't type in the best of times.

Vectra (plastic)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Vectra is a brand of Liquid Crystal Polymer (LCP) manufactured by Ticona (a subsidiary of Celanese)

Tom, you are right: "Vectra is a brand of Liquid Crystal Polymer (LCP) manufactured by Ticona (a subsidiary of Celanese)"
I was routed to something moving as we had here an Opel Model called "Vectra". This model was available in different countries under different names. In the USA you have got the Vectra as the Saturn L-Series. It's all GM.

Vectra; Large, noisy, smelly box, Native to America, can be found in most states,  there are unconfirmed sightings of Vectras in Canada in summer and Mexico in winter.

It seems possible that Vectras are migratory , they have been seen traveling with distant cousins called Bluebirds!

Most likely Itasca is derived from the lake of the same name. Lake Itasca in Minnesota is the ultimate source of the Mississippi River. You can step across the Mississippi where it exits the lake. Been there, done that!

Mark R. said:
Vectra; Large, noisy, smelly box, Native to America, can be found in most states,  there are unconfirmed sightings of Vectras in Canada in summer and Mexico in winter.

It seems possible that Vectras are migratory , they have been seen traveling with distant cousins called Bluebirds!
Diverse diet sometimes causes it to smell like Trout...  ;D

RV Roamer said:
Most likely Itasca is derived from the lake of the same name. Lake Itasca in Minnesota is the ultimate source of the Mississippi River. You can step across the Mississippi where it exits the lake. Been there, done that!

And Gary wins his choice of one case of his favorite eBeer  ;D

Itasca: County and Lake in Minnesota, into which flows the head waters of the Mississippi, and named on this account, Itasca, from the two Latin words veritas caput, "the true head."

Of course we don't know exactly what Winnebago Industries was thinking, but this is a likely origin.

You guys are too funny...

------------------------------------------------
Edit:  To be accurate, I should now refer to my RV as a Veritas Caput Horizon 40AD

It is entirely possible one of the infamous Minnesota mosquitoes was wandering a bit far afield and attacked a Roman galley crew somewhere, perhaps off England or Ireland. Upon return to Minnesota, he could then have injected Latin blood into the local tribes. For that matter, a Minnesota mosquito might have carried a living Roman crew member back and dropped him into the wilds of Minnesota, thus bringing the Latin tongue to the Itasca indians.

Now I thought the Roman Empire colonized North America - we do have Rome, Georgia (wait a minute  - maybe it was the Greeks, there is also an Athens, Georgia.)  Should have been more attentive in world history class...

These postings have gotten just plain silly!
Everyone knows  Native Americans come from Italian decent, remember F TROOP? ;D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom