Would love opinions on power source planning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdkNorth

Starting this Summer, we'll be full timing it in our 1991 30' motorhome. We plan to park it on our land in the mountains most of the time, and will be taking long trips now and then as well. Since we'll be sitting down at our own place for long periods, I'm wondering what power situation would best suit our needs, and make the most financial sense. I'd love your opinions and you "what would you do's."

This was my thought process -

- It would cost about $2000 to have grid power and a hook up added to our property. Seems like it might be the best situation, since we will truly be living in the RV. (That is, we could use as much electric as we need whenever we want.) Pricey though. And our area doesn't have municipal electric. It's a private company and our rates are high. Maybe we don't need it? Or do we?

- We have the onboard generator, and we also have a very quiet Yahama 1k portable. We don't use a ton of power, and there's just two of us. A few lights until bed time, a little bit of TV, phone charging, water pump ... and lots of laptop time!  ;D  Seems like this might be just beyond what a battery could handle on a regular basis. Maybe a small solar kit to keep the battery topped off?

We are long-term (not full time) RVers. We have a generator and we have solar panels and 4 batteries. We bought the solar panels not to save money, although we do save money with them, but because we just don't like to listen to the generator run (ok, Quartzsite is a completely different thing). If we were parked on our own property using the solar panels most of the time, I suspect that our savings would have paid for the panels (we bought them in January 2006). And we are heavy power users.

Wendy
plugged into shore power at Bolsa Chica beach

If you don't need air conditioning or extensive microwave usage, I would think your Yamaha would do the job of battery charging just fine. I'd add a small inverter sized to your basic demands (laptop & tv) and a couple extra batteries so I didn't have to run the genny so much.  The downside is transporting fuel to your property for the genset and one in awhile propane for the water heater.

Solar is worth considering for battery charging, but a big solar set-up is fairly pricey too.  There is a nice set for sale right now on our Sale pages - see http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=21026.msg201593;topicseen#new

Awesome.  :)

I was hoping so. In fact, we're in way Northern New York in the Adirondacks, so we don't really need air conditioning at all. Never gets that hot. Microwave usage would be an almost-never also. The Yamaha genny has a dedicated DC battery charging outlet, so that's a plus too.

Any downside to relying on the rig battery so much? Constantly discharging and recharging?

Don't plan on using the Yamaha's DC charging to charge the batteries. It won't output enough unless you want to run the generator for many hours. Use the Yamaha to power a good three stage battery charger.

No downside on relying on the rig battery. Just make sure you have "true" deep cycle batteries. Like golf cart batteries, NOT marine/rv batteries. Try not to discharge them more than 50%  before you recharge them.

I like the idea of NOT installing grid power..... Well, for now at least.
1. It seems as though your power consumption fits well with using an inverter. (Suggested by Gary)

2. A small solar charging system would most likely do the trick for your home-base, and would be a plus if you decide upon some "boondocking" now and then. (Suggested by Wendy)
And DO get yourself a good charger whether or not you stay off the grid. (Alaskansnowbirds) Your batteries will love you for that.

3. You can always opt for the grid tie-in at a later date if you find that self sufficiency is not meeting your needs.

4. If you had a larger generator, I would suggest that  a good idea would be to invest in a "hot-stick" (an electric element to heat the water). That way, when you were running the generator to charge the batteries (whether or not you invest in solar) you can also heat some hot water. If you have a live pilot heater then you will find that once you heat the water the pilot will keep it warm enough for day-time use, and you then could turn the heater back on when you wanted to take a shower etc.

Question: Are you going to be there (home-base) in the winter? If so, you are not going to like the propane consumption to heat a camper....

I'll agree with Roamer and Alaska Snow Birds

A Yahama 1000 should run a 60amp converter with dead batteries and MIGHT run a 80 amp.. (I ran an 80 amp off a 1,000 watt Genrac, but it did more like 1200 watts.  The last Yahama "1,000" I saw was a 1200 watt inverter generator

However the 12 volt outlet on those portable generators is a joke, jam a rubber plug in it and LEAVE IT THERE (Well, you can use it to power a 12 volt trouble light

If you need Air conditioning, electric heat (Water, cooking, space heating) or wish to run the fridge on electric then you need more power.. At this point the mains comes in handy.

Where as I can not estimate the cost of using that 1,000 to charge batteries (NOTE: as the batteries approach full the power required by the converter will taper off and you have power left over for televisions  and such, even the fridge (350 watts)

I can tell you using a Onan 5.5 to help charge batteries on 2 rigs and runs some other stuff takes about 50 gallons a week.

NOTE: A good option for power if you don't want to burn gas and don't need Air Conditioning is.. SOLAR, A couple thousand dollars of solar and you may well not need the mains

regularguy said:
Question: Are you going to be there (home-base) in the winter? If so, you are not going to like the propane consumption to heat a camper....

Yeah, we'll be there in Winter.  :eek:

But I figure I'll like the cost of propane a lot more than I'll like continuing to live with New York City rent.  ;D

And I get to travel when I like!

Back
Top Bottom