98 winnebago Chieftan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ztimbo

Im on the verge of buying a 98 chieftan for 21,500.  I drove it yesterday and it drives good, has new tires, slide works, leveling works.  He swears no leaks, and the AC was cold.  Im in Texas, yes we ruin AC's in February.
I cant figure out why only 21,500?

Im afraid as soon as I pull out it will explode.

Anything I should be aware of or check?

Thanks

Using one of the pre delivery list found in our library check the rig over.  Run the Genset with both AC/s running for a few minutes, Check the actual date codes on the tires to make sure they are not approaching 7 years old.

Let us know if it is a Ford, Chevy, or Freightliner chassis and what floor plan it is.  Here is a brochure on the 98 Chieftains.  Does it have a gas, LP or diesel generator?  According to the brochure it may or may not have anti-lock brakes on the optional Ford chassis depending when it was built.

If the gen set is propane, be advised they consume lots of fuel.  I think the most desirable model would be the Freightliner chassis with the diesel and the diesel gen set.

Actually, 21,500 is very close to an average 2,000 miles a year ... many RVs are used less than that!!!  As the others have said, check it over good, verify the age of the tires regardless of how good they look, ask the owner all the questions you can think of not only about condition but how and when/how often they used it. And if you like what you see after a detailed inspection inside and out ...and you like the price ...it could be a good unit!

John Canfield said:
Let us know if it is a Ford, Chevy, or Freightliner chassis and what floor plan it is.  Here is a brochure on the 98 Chieftains.  Does it have a gas, LP or diesel generator?  According to the brochure it may or may not have anti-lock brakes on the optional Ford chassis depending when it was built.

If the gen set is propane, be advised they consume lots of fuel.  I think the most desirable model would be the Freightliner chassis with the diesel and the diesel gen set.

Its a chevy 454 Vortec.  Has a gas generator 7000 Onan, that we didnt test.  I drove it around a few blocks in downton Houston and felt comfortable.  My first time driving something 34 ft long and I didnt hit anything. Hehe.
Thanks for the tips and the brochure.
I put a bit down but havent signed yet.
I will test generator, awning and another spin should alleviate my brake concern.  Im sure something this big doesnt stop like my Accord, but it had a few creaks and not terribly smooth on stops.
This normal?

ztimbo said:
Im sure something this big doesnt stop like my Accord, but it had a few creaks and not terribly smooth on stops.
This normal?

You will have some creaks and different noises than an automobile for sure.  As a heavy vehicle, you need to plan on a six second following distance because you will not have the stopping distance of a lighter vehicle.

What exactly do you mean "not terribly smooth on stops" - is it jerking or pulsating?

Edit:  Do a Google on the Chevy 454 Vortec to understand strengths and weaknesses of that particular engine.

I got it!
Drove back in the dark and drizzle from Houston and it was an experience.  The braking thing was just the Allison Transmission downshifting kinda hard.  I was nervous, but after getting out of downtown it was really fun.
I found the worst thing is going down a steep slope.  The weight really makes it pick up speed and on a slick road you have to go slow and not freak out.
Only problems I found:
I have to get 2 new batteries for the generator cuz they left something on and wiped them out, and the dash stereo doesnt work.
I really appreciate this forum and hope I dont annoy to much with my RV ignorance.

Congratulations.  Just keep those questions coming and we will try to answer them.  Thats part of the enjoyment sharing info.

ztimbo said:
I found the worst thing is going down a steep slope.  The weight really makes it pick up speed and on a slick road you have to go slow and not freak out.

Congratulations!  Like most instructors usually say to begin a semester - "there are no dumb questions..."

Managing your speed downhill is critical to your safety.  There is an old rule of thumb about descending a grade at the same speed you climbed it.  You will need to manually shift the transmission down to maintain a speed where you feel comfortable and you have good braking control.  Also, when you apply brakes, do that in 'pluses' - maybe three or seconds of braking and then off of them for 30 seconds.  If you ride the brakes enough downhill, you will burn them up.

A safe downhill speed might be 50 MPH or it might be 30 MPH - that will depend on the grade.

Fortunately, I was in a semi-paranio0d state being my first drive...at night...in drizzle.  LOL, I was doing maybe 30mph.  I will definitely downshift next time and try for 35.
I couldnt get the slide out just now.  Checking manual.  I have a slide button on the dash, but not sure of the other conditions.  I wasnt perfectly level, and the house batteries are near death, but the lights and step ladder worked.
Back to manual...

ztimbo said:
Fortunately, I was in a semi-paranio0d state being my first drive...at night...in drizzle.  LOL, I was doing maybe 30mph. 

Some paranoia is healthy and life-preserving  ;)  Don't loose it!

Wouldn't advise trying to extend the slide(s) unless you are level.  We have done it in unusual and extraordinary circumstances, but it's usually not a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom