Looking to buy a cab-over camper for a Dodge RAM 1500 SLT Short Bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aarongraff

I am a brand new member.  I have been researching the internet like crazy trying to find the best (if any) slide-in camper for my truck.  I have a 2005 Dodge RAM 1500 SLT short bed with a 5.7L HEMI.  When I research my truck specifications, it says my max payload is around 1450lbs.  My GVWR is about 6550lbs.  My bed is about 6 feet from the front-inside of the box to the tailgate.  The reason I am getting a truck camper is because I pull a small ski boat (the reason I camp).  My boat is a Four Winns Horizon 180 which weighs around 2300lbs.  My truck should be able to tow around 8700lbs max.  My GCWR is around 9500lbs..  I am obviously looking for the best bang for my buck without killing my truck and was wondering if anyone had any advice for me about a good camper manufacture / model.

Too light for hauling an overhead camper. Too much weight would be behind the rear axle, a sudden stop or quick evasive maneuver would bring the pucker factor to undesirable levels. By the time you load the wife, kids, dog, groceries, bedding etc etc, you will be an accident waiting to happen. My dad's first camper hauler was a heavy half with an 8' box. He was assured the truck was adequate but it was a handful in a prairie wind. The replacement 3/4 ton made all the difference

As long as the weight of the truck fully loaded with fuel, passengers and cargo, plus the weight of the slide in camper, plus the weight of the boat & trailer doesn't go over your CGVWR, you should be OK.  However, I'd be a bit concerned with a 1500 half ton.  You'd be much more safe and secure with a 2500 with a tow package.  But that was not your question... :)

When we were looking at slide in campers at one time for our Chevy 2500 short bed, we're impressed by the lift up "canvas sided (soft sided)" campers.  They were light weight and had all the amenities, including A/C.  The ones we were looking at were made by Northstar.  I was impressed with the quality and workmanship.  You might check them out.

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
When we were looking at slide in campers at one time for our Chevy 2500 short bed, we're impressed by the lift up "canvas sided (soft sided)" campers.  They were light weight and had all the amenities, including A/C.  The ones we were looking at were made by Northstar.  I was impressed with the quality and workmanship.  You might check them out.

Do you mean one of these?
I saw that one at a local RV place - I was fascinated with it.  (So much so that I had to take a few pics)

Yep...that's it!  Aren't they neat?  I was fascinated with them too.  We live near a National Forest and National park and sometimes just want to go out for a week; but our motor home is too big to get up to the "high country".  So, I was toying with the idea of the soft-sided camper. 

Marsha~

Lately, I'm not limber or agile enough for one of those.  Maybe a couple of decades ago, though......

Hello My Friends, I am a new member and this is the most interesting site with all the great safety tips, so here we go.
  I have a Dodge 2003 quad cab 1500.  Back in 2005 I came across a great deal on a 02 Lance 825 Truck Camper.  I was quite concerned about the weight factor, so I added a few extra springs...  hum, yea, being a mechanic I was still concerned about the axle and wheel bearings.  I made a few telephone calls to Lance and then to the South Carolina Highway Patrol, Transport Division.  We talked about GVWS and PTAC, max weight, balance center point, KGS Gross weight V/S GVW and the unladen weight, he paused and then the SC Officer stated: that I was not in focus, and just drive very safely and have a good day.  ------------------------------------  So here is the real deal:
  Since 2006 the Lance truck camper has never been off my truck, that was 44,000 miles ago.
The Dodge Hemi transports the Lance truck camper very well.  The only problem is the cross winds in the flat lands such as New Mexico to Oklahoma can be a major risk.  We just stopped at Walmart for the night.  The Dodge 1500 has carrried the Lance 825 to Dead Horse, Alaska and back in 2008 and Last year 2012 to Denali, Alaska back to Rock Hill, South Carolina.  I am not writing this to say, go for it, I was "not in the know" about a more of a safe way to do the trip until reading RV Forum community.  I am just saying that the Dodge 1500 and the Lance Camper together works well and the massive Power house Dodge Hemi was always just waiting for the next large mountain to climb. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Additional tips,  A L A S K A :
  Do not attempt to go to Alaska with out a Passport.  The Roads in Alaska are the worst.  Protect headlights with shields.  I broke a head light from a flying rock from oncoming traffic. Try to purchase a complete headlight in Alaska, it is hard to find, just finding gasoline is a major challange, especially after 7:00PM, every thing is closed...  I was very concerned about breaking an axle, but all was good... The roads are so bad at times it is like driving on rail road ties.  Also, all vet papers for animals must be updated just before leaving US or entering US Borders. Never plan a tight scheduled road trip from BC to Alaska.  The weather is relentless and unpredictable, you might be stuck in a RV park for days with bad weather.  Hey folks, we are talking major mud.
Mud streaking across the windshild wipers, you are going nowhere.        Alaska is the Best, but rough...
                                                                                                        The most amazing place ever.....
______________________________________________________________________________________
Purchasing food in Alaska? watch the Video:
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyVgDW7h0Fw    For the best effects, when the video starts, click full screen...  enjoy

Back
Top Bottom