Keys for doors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stan Birch said:
Winnebago door and basement locks and keys are all manufactured by TriMark. There are only 10 different key codes, all cross-referenced to the last digit in your cab serial number. The keys for my rig are coded and stamped on the key: TM435.

Okay - everybody order some TM35 keys and figure out where Stan's coach is parked  ;D

Stan - welcome to our little corner of the Internet!  That's very useful information - thanks very much!

Winnebago, with 10 different keys is rather sophisticated compared to the rest of the RV industry. Just about every other RV uses the same universal CH751 key for all of their compartment locks. If you lose a key; no problem, you will probably find replacements on a peg at most RV dealers.

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog/product.php?productid=1293

Car keys aren't all that much more sophisticated. At one time, I recall that GM only used 12 different keys for all vehicles.

Saw a funny story on the news this morning, involving a couple whose van was stolen from a hospital parking lot. Seems that a someone with a similar coloured van also parked in the hospital parking lot; and after discovering that he was going to be admitted to hospital for a few days, he called his mother to pick up the van and take it home. She saw a van that looked like her son's; the key worked in the locks; so she drove it home.  ;D The only thing she noticed that seemed to be unusual, is how clean the van was. It took ten days to discover the error, and return the van to it's rightful owner.  :-\ 

She saw a van that looked like her son's; the key worked in the locks; so she drove it home.

Something very similar almost happened to me some years ago. I came out of a company in a bit of a hurry to get to the airport. I got in the rental car and was having a tough time turning the steering wheel lock. I just knew I was in the right car, especially since the key opened the door - until I noticed the ladies' purse on the passenger seat.

Stan Birch; 

Although Carson's experience is somewhat unusual, and perhaps a scenario which I dont' entirely understand; for the rest of us run-of-the-mill types:

It is actually quite simple, Stan. I had no key for the lock, hence no number to refer to. I found a new lock cylinder and keys for $20.00 on the web, plus freight but did not purchase them at that time. The problem was that I could not have removed the old cylinder without the proper key. Therefore, I had to seek out a local locksmith to remove the cylinder with their master keys, whatever they do.

I had to disassemble the door panel mechanisms, see pix above, to get the cylinder removed. During the disassembly I found the key number sticker pasted on the inside. Too late, I got new keys cut for $12.00 and all is well.

carson FL

There is a story of a reporter for the Detroit Free Press, took a company car on a ride, Noticed it was kind of clean....

Well, the company fleet is all "Keyed Alike"

The car he took was assigned to the executive editor

Tom said:
Something very similar almost happened to me some years ago. I came out of a company in a bit of a hurry to get to the airport. I got in the rental car and was having a tough time turning the steering wheel lock. I just knew I was in the right car, especially since the key opened the door - until I noticed the ladies' purse on the passenger seat.

;D :D  I was at a company building in New Jersey for a meeting (flew in the night before from Orlando) and parked my nondescript white company-approved Avis rental car somewhere in the huge parking lot.  After the day was over, I bounded out of the building ready to head to the Newark airport to get back home.  After taking a few steps out of the entrance, it dawned on me I had absolutely no idea where I parked my nondescript Avis rental (GM/Ford/?) and even didn't have a clue what kind of car it was.

Fortunately Avis had the tag number on the keys.  I wandered around in the general direction of where I thought I parked and headed for every late model white vehicle I could see.  After ten minutes or so, I struck gold  ;D

Carson,

Give it time, and it will drift right back on topic. If not, one of the staff will split and move messages, which is what we've done for the last 16 years  ;)

carson said:
I don't even know why I am doing this, because I have never had a reason to lock or unlock the drivers side door from the outside.

I'm still laughing at this gem of a thought. ;D Been there and done that.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom