how much wind can a parked 5er take broadside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1kenny

I am expecting wind gust up to 50 mph. I am parked and caught in high wind storm.  The wind changes direction pretty often. How much wind can my 5er which weighs  13500 take from the side.

We stayed at a lakeside campground in Michigan last summer and had wind gusts over 50 mph. The 5er rocked and rolled but no damage, just keep the awning rolled in.

1kenny said:
I am expecting wind gust up to 50 mph. I am parked and caught in high wind storm.  The wind changes direction pretty often. How much wind can my 5er which weighs  13500 take from the side.

I had a 13,000 lb fiver that was in a twister (on the edges actually) with winds clocked at 82mph.  It was a scary, bumpy time but no damage was done.  It was a HitchHiker, incidentally, and I was in a parking lot.

We don't have a 5er but weve been in Death Valley with 30 mph sustained winds and gusts over 50 mph for over 24 hours and while everyone (motorhomes, 5ers, TTs and tents) was rocking and rolling and most pulled in their slides, there was no damage to anyone in the campground (other than rugs blowing away and a lot of dirt in the RV).

Wendy

I have seen rv's sitting on the side of the road in the Mojave California area waiting out winds that exceed 50mph with gusts at 70mph.  I have not heard of damage besides sandblasting the paint. These things are pretty tough,  they are designed (going forward of course) to with stand all the wind generated at speed with figuring in even more wind hitting the front if you traveling through a windy area, plus the buffetting that comes with a truck going past you in the opposite direction (which does effect the sides of the trailer).  You are probably just fine in 50mph winds but as others have suggested, roll up your mats and put the awning in.

We spent 6 summers in Iowa in a campground which had sites layed out in circles, about 9 sites per circle, and included a mix of motorhomes, trailers and 5ers.  Someone was always taking the fierce summer winds broadside.  I don't recall any damage except for awnings and other things blowing around outside.  One lightning strike during a thunder storm played havoc with two rigs' electrical systems.

Margi

Broadside is not your best aspect (Tail on is best on a 5'er head on a Class A or C) however

If you have stabilizes down and locked 50MPH should not be a problem

Think about the Gust of Wind when you pass or are passed by a SEMI and you will understand what I'm saying

(And when that happens you are moving and bouncing which makes it ... Worse)

Strongest gust I've survived in a class A:  Over 100 MPH

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom