Wall tile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Two gone rvn

Has anyone tiled the wall around the kitchen counter?  Just wondering if it will stay on with the flexing and vibration of the motorhome.  Would welcome any comments good or bad.

It probably would be of benefit to all if we could find out what type and brand coach you have. That way we can address our answers accordingly. Thanks, Ernie

My coach came with a back splash tile in the kitchen as standard equipment and it looks stunning. No problem with it so far.

Our last two coaches have had tiled back splashes and tiles floors. Whether yours will hang in there depends on how much flex there is in the chassis and body and that varies by manufacturer, year, model and even floor plan.  Newer grouts are more flexible, which helps a lot (but make sure the grout says it flexes - older formulas may be stiffer).

There are "faux tin" tiles that are very decorative and make a nice trim around the galley or bath. They are designed for ceilings but are used as decor in high end coaches too.  Available in several colors.  In our current rig we have about 8" of tile with the deco "tin" panels above that, up to the cabinets.
http://www.armstrong.com/resclgam/na/ceilings/en/us/metallaire-metal-ceiling.asp

Gary Thanks for the link. I didn't know those were avaible.

I had seen them in use here and there but never new the source. Then I stumbled across them in a Lowes one day and learned they were from Armstrong.  But never saw them in another Lowes store after that.

Guess I'll give it a try.  We don't care for the mirrors on the back wall of our Safari so I'll start looking for tile we like and give it a shot.  Thanks to all for answering.  Its nice to hear what others have to say about projects.

When applying the tile, use a 'mastic' type adehesive - usually sold in a can and not the cement style 'thinset' usually mixed with water or latex bonding agent.  The mastic will give more flexibility.  Also,  grout is available in tubes - a little more expensive and similar to regular caulk, either sanded or unsanded and easily applied with very little mess using a caulk gun - just don't do to big an area at a time as it sets up fairly quickly but does clean up with soapy water. 

BT

Since you mentioned mirrors on the backsplash, those are adhered very well and will shatter upon removal. Best use some gloves, safety glasses, etc when you pry those off. FYI Ernie

We had our countertop replaced with corian so it gave me the opportunity to retiled the backsplash. Because we chose a porcelain tile we have very small joints between the tile. I used a chalking gun and silcone as the adhesive. I elevated the tile off the countertop so as stop any vibration transferring to the tile and when the m/home returns in spring to Edmonton I will use bathroom silicone in the joints.
I am hesitant in using any standard grouts because in my opinion, over time vibration could breakdown grout ridgity.

Don't be shy when it comes to using silicone, just have a steady hand and use mineral turpintine and paper towels to clean up any unwanted mess.

I saw some neat looking tin style back splashes behind the stove on several new Winnebago models the other day.  The dealer said I could order them direct from Winnebago but I can't find them on their site. 

Those tin tiles look really spiffy - on the ceiling.  If they are embossed or whatever, they could be tricky to clean.  Who's going to clean up the spatters, you or your spouse.  Best get his/her opinion before taking the plunge.

Daisy

Daisy said:
Those tin tiles look really spiffy - on the ceiling.  If they are embossed or whatever, they could be tricky to clean.  Who's going to clean up the spatters, you or your spouse.  Best get his/her opinion before taking the plunge.

Daisy

Very good point, Daisy!!!!

Liz

I haven't a clue what your acronyms mean, but I'm guessing you got it covered..... ???

Daisy

Finally, someone here who is also frustrated by the huge number of acronyms, shortcuts, initials, shorthand, code and what have you!   ;D

CC&BW means Chief Cook And Bottle Washer.

PS: We did find some ceiling tiles (24" X 24") at Lowe's that will work quite nicely.  They are made of plastic but have the look of tin or copper.  We purchased one and after a bit of trimming, it will serve quite nicely as our backsplash.

Attachments

• backsplash.jpg
    backsplash.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 91
Nice Job.  Seems like the plastic would be easier on the spatters....  ;)

Can you tell I hate to clean!!!  I'm always looking for an easy way out

Daisy

Back
Top Bottom