Hopkins Tire Pressure Monitor...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luca1369

Hi all,

I'm trying to find some user info on a Hopkins Tire Pressure Monitor system.  I've searched the archives but nobody seems to have had any experience with it.  Perhaps that's changed now.  Anybody familiar with the system?  Got anything good or bad to say about the system?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Here you go Steve:

http://rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22372246/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

Thanks Tom,

Looks like all the systems have problems with sensor batteries, but if the claims of 4-year battery life is true, I can live with that. 

Steve

Are these the monitors that Camping World seems to be pushing these days?

PressurePro has been on the market for over 5 years and the head guru say he hasn't seen a battery die yet. PP has had it's share of issues with problem sensors but has been very good on replacing them.

seilerbird said:
Pressure Pro costs a lot more than competing systems.

You're right Tom.  I'm seeing Hopkins, with 8 wheel sensors, for $381 shipped...Pressure Pro is over $300 more.  I wonder if the difference is worth it?

Steve

Often you do get what you pay for.  The superb customer support from Pressure Pro alone is worth the additional cost.  They have the most experience in this area too.  The difference in price is less than the cost of one tire.

I'm seeing Hopkins, with 8 wheel sensors, for $381 shipped...Pressure Pro is over $300 more.

An 8 wheel Pressure Pro is $590, so its $200 more rather than $300.  Still a big difference, though.  I love my PP system (5 years old next month  and still going strong on original batteries) but $200 is not to be sneezed at

For RV use, comparisons should be made on a 10 tire system (12 tire if you have a tag axle).  Hopkins is $450 for 10 tires (at Camping World) and PP is $690 at most dealers, but  check with fellow RVForum member Bernie Dobrin for his best deal on a PP system.

Ned said:
Often you do get what you pay for.  The superb customer support from Pressure Pro alone is worth the additional cost.  They have the most experience in this area too.  The difference in price is less than the cost of one tire.

What Ned said.  We are very satisfied with our Pressure Pro whci we purchased from RV Forum member Bernie.

Thanks guys, I'll look into that.  Sorry about the bad math on my part (where IS that calculator?).

Steve

I have emailed Hopkins twice to simply ask if there system would work with the TPMS fitted as standard to my 2008 Jeep Liberty Ltd............No reply.

I am looking for a 10 wheel system for the RV & toad.

On reading this thread I immediately asked the same question with Truck Systems and within 30 min I received a telephone call who informed me that their system would. I informed the caller what had happened with my Hopkins enquiry and I finished up saying," Guess which company will be getting my business?" The caller then said he would also throw in an extra 1 years warranty. :)

I got an email from a rep from Truck Systems and they have a VERY competitive system.  About $20 more than an equivalent Hopkins, but the differences are worth far more than twenty bucks to me.

Steve 

I have emailed Hopkins twice to simply ask if there system would work with the TPMS fitted as standard to my 2008 Jeep Liberty Ltd..

Just so nobody misconstrues this, "work with" in this case means "won't interfere with". It will NOT read signals from the TPMS sensors that come standard in the Jeep or any other vehicle - you still have to buy and install sensors to place on the toad's valve stems.

Mick & Pat said:
I have emailed Hopkins twice to simply ask if there system would work with the TPMS fitted as standard to my 2008 Jeep Liberty Ltd............No reply.

I can confirm from personal experience that the Pressure Pro works just fine and the TPMS that came with the GC has no negative affect on the PP system or visa versa.  You do have to install the PP sensor on the GC tires.

Ron said:
I can confirm from personal experience that the Pressure Pro works just fine and the TPMS that came with the GC has no negative affect on the PP system or visa versa.  You do have to install the PP sensor on the GC tires.

Ron:

Unfortunately I am the exception to the no interference rule. Our new CRV's TPMS is in the tire stem and as a result the stem sticks out until it ALMOST extends past the side wall of the tire. Add a PP transducer and it is out just enough that when you parallel park and scuff the tire on the curb the stem breaks off you get to but a new $125.00 TPMS unit. ??? ???

RV Roamer said:
Just so nobody misconstrues this, "work with" in this case means "won't interfere with". It will NOT read signals from the TPMS sensors that come standard in the Jeep or any other vehicle - you still have to buy and install sensors to place on the toad's valve stems.

Gary,

The Jeep's TPMS sensors are in the valve stems where as the Hopkins and the Pressure Pro sensors are in the valve stem caps, so to monitor BOTH the RV and Jeep I would require a 10 sensor system, 6 for the RV and 4 for the Jeep. :)

Mick

Mick & Pat said:
Gary,

The Jeep's TPMS sensors are in the valve stems where as the Hopkins and the Pressure Pro sensors are in the valve stem caps, so to monitor BOTH the RV and Jeep I would require a 10 sensor system, 6 for the RV and 4 for the Jeep. :)

Mick

That is correct.  The PP sensors are installed on the end af the valve stem where the cap is removed from.  While driving the CG the OEM TPMS is functional even if the PP sensors are installed.  When towing the PP sensors are used by the PP monitor.

Dont forget that you can keep things simple and much cheaper by opting for LED Tire Valve Caps

Just $7.24 per cap - can be found HERE

Whilst on a safety theme, how about an Emergency Strobe in case of breakdown at night.

Just $14.75 ea - can be found HERE - must be better than a warning triangle.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom