I am really getting cheesed off at my #%$@* blinds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Canfield

Site Team
We have a total of eight of the ubiquitous day/night pleated shades on our various windows.  After almost four years of ownership, four of them have been replaced due to breaking strings.  Now one of those that was replaced has broken strings again.

Of course an option is to restring them, but I am thinking about changing them out for the roll up shades I saw at a rally last summer - a company called MCD or something like that.

What say folks - ideas, any experience with those roll-up shades?

Restring them is pretty easy. Takes only about a half an hour.

Several members here have the MCD shades and I believe they really like them.  We replaced our bedroom day/night shades years ago with horizontal mini-blinds that allow for ventilation and privacy.  However, we are considering replacing them and several other shades with the MCD models.  We won't get the electric ones, just the manually operated shades.  Bradd&Hall in Elkhart sells and installs MCD shades and that's where we would have them installed.  We looked at them last fall when we had some flooring work done there.

The MCD rollups are great.  They have a controlled rate of reroll, so you can just let them go.  Tiffin uses them in some of their coaches.  I reall like the ones that have the shade and the block. 

My day/night are on a pull string like venetion blinds.  Still working fine after 12 years.  If I were to relace them I would get the MCD.

Gosh - can't believe I remembered the name correctly!  MCD has a location in McKinney, TX (NE of Dallas) I noticed on their website.  I thought their day/night blinds were the cat's meow.

Thanks guys for the responses!

I meant to add that I believe the "strung shades" like we have was strung WAY TOO TIGHT to start with, and that is some of the problem.

From what I have read, the blinds Winnebago made during a certain time period were assembled with a metal eyelet inserted backward which accelerated fraying of the string.  The strings have to have enough tension on them to keep the shades from lowering and that is adjustable (where the string terminates into the plastic post.)

Raising and lowering both day and night shades at the same time also was supposed to contribute to string breaking, but we always raise/lower one at a time.

Two blinds have broken since we left the ranch a couple of weeks ago and just this morning our old DirecTV HR10 DVR started spontaneously rebooting.  It has been replaced with the receiver from the bedroom.  It's always something.  ::)

The eyelets in mine are nylon.
The actual problem was that there were burrs around the holes that extended up far enough for the cord to rub on them a little bit. Over time that caused the cord to break.
I had to restring two of mine a few months after doing them the first time and deburred the holes that time.
After close to five years they are still working fine with no sign of wear.
If you want to stop by Bouse AZ I will be happy to give you a hand with the restringing job.

Hi John,
We made an appointment last spring at McKinney and had all the windows in the coach retrofitted with MCD shades.  They did a great job, a bit pricey but they work as advertised.  A class outfit to work with at the factory too.  I would call them and make an appointment, they have full hookups on site and build them as needed, not off the shelf.  We got the electric model for the windshield, the rest are manual.  Had a spring break and the windshield lost it's programming within the last month, otherwise no problems.  They actually have real people answer the phone and will get back to you with answers if/when needed.
Thanks  Chuck

Hi John,

As  part of our " we are going to keep this rig forever campaign," we had MCD shades installed throughout the coach.  At first I was cheap and did not install in bedroom, but then I decided I needed the in bedroom as well.  They are so completely backout preventing.  The day portion allows you to see out but provides privacy. The temperature is much better controlled keeping out hot air and holding in warm air when needed.  I like the automatic features we got in front end of coach.  We even had the windshield completely done.  They are professional and take good care of you while in the area.  The area has lovely restaurants to visit. 

I have a whole bunch of pleated day night shades piled up in the corner of the garage now.  Wondering how to recycle them.

Betty

Do the MCD shades allow any air through them at all?  That's the biggest reason we put the mini-blinds in the bedroom, ventilation with privacy.

Clay L said:
The actual problem was that there were burrs around the holes that extended up far enough for the cord to rub on them a little bit. Over time that caused the cord to break.
If you want to stop by Bouse AZ I will be happy to give you a hand with the restringing job.

Clay - yes - now I remember.. it was burrs.  Apparently the problem still exists since one of the newer ones broke as well as the original.  Thank you for the kind offer of help!  Not sure what we're doing at this point.

Chuck, Betty - I'm sold!  I need these!  Need to contact my senators to see about a stimulus package  ;D

I restrung one of the the day/nite blinds on my previous MH with 250# test dacron fishing line. It worked great and I plan to restring the  bad one on my present one the same way.

Ned said:
Do the MCD shades allow any air through them at all?  That's the biggest reason we put the mini-blinds in the bedroom, ventilation with privacy.

Ned,

Yes some air does come through when window is open and the day  shade is down..  Not as much as blinds would allow but  you do get some air exchange.  Very little air comes through if the  black out shade portion is down.

Betty

Thanks, Betty.  I think we'll keep the mini-blinds in the bedroom but will probably change out the others.

The biggest problem I found with them was that the plastic groumets that protect the cord from rubbing against the metal frame piece were installed upside down in the holes. This caused the cords to wear and fray quickly. With the groumets flipped over the shades have lasted fine for over 2 years. When I inquired from Winnie about the problem I was told that Winnie buys the parts from a vendor, and assembles the blinds themselves ::)

Back
Top Bottom