Never Freeze Water Hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geodrake

Moderator Emeritus
We are volunteering at Patagonia Sonita Creek Nature Conservancy in southern AZ.  Frequently it gets below 32 degrees at night, so I am always checking the forecast and disconnecting the water hose to the MH.  Looking for alternatives I have come across the "Never Freeze Water Hose" which sells in $300 range.  Has anyone had experience with these?  That seems like a lot of money, is it always so expensive or can it be found for less?

A Never Freeze hose won't help if the water riser and spigot freeze :)

Is it the No Freeze brand you refer to, or is Never Freeze another such brand?

http://www.nofreezewaterhose.com/pricing.html

The No Freeze has a built in heating element and has to be plugged in, which may not be useful to some folks. And as Ned says, it won't protect the riser if it is much out of the ground. Spigot is maybe ok if not too cold, since there will be 40 degree water at the end of the hose.

I agree the danger withthe "Never freeze" hose is unless you also protect the park's property you may find you are no longer wanted in that park. 

Also that hose is very expensive

Better to disconnect and drain the hose every night.  That way it's safe for both you and the park  That is, in fact, how I did it when I was there last.

The alternative is to find a way to protect both hose and spigot.. But frankly,, It's easier to just unhook and drain the hose.

I had thought that if I used one (N0-freeze, Gary) I would put a heat tape on the spicket, which is in the side of the building.  But, seeing as how we should be through these cold nights soon, for $300 I think I will heed everyone's advise and just continue to disconnect and drain the hose. 

Thanks for the input, fellows.

We always use our water pump and onboard 100 gallons of fresh water. $300 will buy some need diesel fuel~ Ernie

Have you considered running the hose through foam pipe insulation?  Or even several pieces of swimming 'noodles' - the colored floation devices, though they may be a little difficult to locate this time of the year.  Pipe insulation is readily available at Lowes and HD etc. and pretty cheap.

BT

Ernie: given other circumstances I would do the same, but .................. This water is nasty, we are drinking bottled water.  I have good water in my tank, but less everyday.  I don't want to get this nasty stuff in my tank.  We use the nasty stuff for showers, dishes, flushing, etc. while hooked up.  At night after disconnecting we end up using some of our good tank water though. 

I haven't tried Buddy's idea, but god thought.

Another option might be on cold nights to keep the water running just a little bit in the motor home.  Also add $10 worth of insulation to the lines and fittings.  Run the water just enough to change the water in the lines every hour or so.

I have handled the spigot problem with a five gallon plastic bucket filled with fiberglass insulation placed over the spigot and made my  own heated hose.
Based on local advice in Grand Junction CO where they have a lot of oilfield workers and sell a lot of heat tapes, hoses, etc, I bought a black polyethylene water hose and a heat tape at a True Value hardware store.

Be sure to check the instructions with the tape, because some specify that the tape should not be spiral wrapped, but simply taped along the length of the hose.
I used sections of foam pipe insulation with sticky edges - there is a plastic strip that keeps them from sticking until you are ready - to cover the hose with after installing the heat tape. I covered the butt joints with duct tape.

This has served me well for six full timing years.
Of course I try hard to never have to use it, but sometimes you just have to be in a cold place for a while.

New development:  Last night and without the hose being connected, the spigot froze.  I think I'm going to tuff it out disconnecting each night.

Ron; We are Patagonia, AZ.  What is a KDC filter?

KDC filters for use with RV/s can be purchased from some of the vndors at or Yuma.  I do know Bernie not only uses them in their MH but also in their house.  Hopefully Bernie will jump in with more details.

A little tongue-in cheek way to measure if your water hose needs protection from freezing.

Let your pet determine the time to protect the hose. If the pet is present... no problem. If it dis-appears think about protection.

see below:  ;D

carson FL

Attachments

• Warm heat indicator on water hose.jpg
    Warm heat indicator on water hose.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 51
Not here in Florida, Ron.. We had a bad frost here lately; I am busy cutting down destroyed plants right now, including my Monster plant, remember that one?

Our little Geikos Geckos never left. I invite them into the house when it is cold outside, and we have nice chats, in an Australian accent. With my German accent and his we do quite well. Understand about half of what we say to each other; now that is called multi-culturism.  :eek:

Seems like he doesn't understand the word "bail-out"; he thinks I want to throw him outside. He may be right.

Thanks for listening, err reading. Have a nice day. 76? F here right now.

carson FL

We also have  a concern about freezing.  We took a regular water hose and wrapped it with foil tape.  We then wrapped a heat tape around the foil and then put more foil tape over the heat tape.  We placed the foam insulation over the entire length of the hose.  We also wrap the faucet with the heat tape and foam.  Have never had a freezing problem since.  We have been in temps near 0 degrees.  We take the hose setup with us whenever we travel.
Phil

geodrake said:
New development:  Last night and without the hose being connected, the spigot froze.  I think I'm going to tuff it out disconnecting each night.

Ron; We are Patagonia, AZ.  What is a KDC filter?

George, a KDF filter has KDF materials (whatever that is ???) that filters microbes, bacteria, bad taste, chlorine, etc. and is very effective. Our whole house filter provides very tasty water from every faucet in the house tho I wouldn't drink it from my water bibs in front of the filter. I can always tell when I drink coffee in a store using AZ tap water. No need for RO or bottled water. Because of a cracked case I went for about 6 months with out that filter and wound up with a lot of crud in my hot water heater. I've been buying my filters from http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/DWReplaceableCartridge.htm

Back
Top Bottom