Truth in labelling ... help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

This may be an oddity for a nit-picker like me. Let's see what you think.

On my old W 1995, the label shown below is mounted on the heater access door. Great information, but...

Look at line 9 from the top, re failure of temp switch. Is that an error or am I nit-picking.?   ;D

carson FL

Attachments

• Heater label.jpg
    Heater label.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 106
I see nothing on the label about a "temp switch." If you are refering to the "thermal cutoff" that I do see mentioned, the wording may not be exactly as I would say it but I do understand exactly what it is saying, and what it says is absolutely true.  It says "if this device functions the unit will not operate until the thermal cutoff is replaced."  That is very true!  If the thermal cutoff does cut off power in an overtemp situation as it is designed to do, it has "functioned" as intended and its life is over.

I carry extra thermal cutoffs, and have had to replace many in the five years we have had our coach due to poor design of the WH compartment. Only once was the "functioning" of the thermal cutoff due to a dangerous overheat/flashback situation. And that time, the rest of the labe was also very true ...I had to thoroughly clean the burner tube to remove a big spider next before I could operate the water heater after replacing the thermal cutoff!

You are right, Paul. It was the thermal cut-off I was referring to. Now if it mal-functioned then what?

I guess we are both right, in some degree; hence my post. Ain't this fun?

carson FL

Ps: By the way way, Paul, would you like to have your call listed in our library list?

73  carson FL

:-\  Well, I would say if it mal-functioned, it would NOT cut power/LP flow when overheated and in the case of a flash-back due to a plugged burned tube the side of the RV would resemble blackened cooked fish IF there was a side left!!  :eek:

Tell me about the library list ...I'm not aware of what that is...

LOL Carson, you are a real piece of work. ;D ;D

In this case, the function of the cut-off is to function during an over temp condition.  Therefore a malfunction would be a failure to function when that function was called for.  Not functioning, during normal water heater function, would not constitute a malfunction, nor would it guarantee that the function would function as designed during a heater malfunction. ??? ???

....and you can take that to the bank ;)

Paul, one topic on the forum is called "On the airwaves" I its specially designated for the hams on this forum. I always knew there were many hams on the road and started the topic.

Finally we collected the names and call signs for members and put them in alphabetical order by screen name in the library. Privacy is protected as much as possible, Only screen name, Call sign,  first name and State of License.

To add your name just go here and request to be added.

In the LIBRARY (button on top) go to Miscellaneous (temporarily posted there) here . In the future it may get its own slot in the library.

Welcome aboard.. carson FL

What Lou Said.,.. it is properly written.. And to be honest. This is not common

If a thermal cut-off functions.. It means things got outside the safe operating temp's and it CUT IT OFF

A fuse functions.... When it blows

And another name for thermal cutoffs is "Thermal fuse"

Just what I wanted, John, a few opinions. I understand both side of the argument fully. I was born yesterday...  ;D

I guess my point is to read labels carefully and not believe everything you read and interpret, as gospel.
Non-tech folks could be mis-lead easily. When was the last time you read your Insurance policy?  ???

carson FL (darn, temp is down to 73? right now. gotta put on the heat  :) )

Carson, my post was totally in jest.  I hope you realized that.  If so, then I fulfilled my function ;D :D ;D

Lou, my bad... when I pulled up the replies, I missed your super-califragalistic reply.  You are right on the button, Lou. Wish everyone would have a sense of humor as you and I have.

carson FL

Paul, Sorry, I missed you looking at the list. Maybe other hams looking at this post will get the idea.
Still looking for WB6ANP...

carson FL

carson said:
Just what I wanted, John, a few opinions. I understand both side of the argument fully. I was born yesterday...  ;D

When was the last time you read your Insurance policy?  ???

Thank you..  In this case the wording was very clear so long as you understand the meaning of that one word.  I do admit proper use of language is ... rare now days (And I'm as guilty as the next guy of mangling it)

As for the last time I read my insurance police.  2 weeks ago.

I gotta agree - the function of the TCO is to cut off power if it gets too hot. Just like the function of a fuse is to blow if current gets too high. I'll grant that the wording catches you by surprise and is probably a poor choice since it is addressed to lay users rather than technies, but it IS technically and grammatically correct.

A better word would have been "activate" rather than function.

"If the device activates...yada yada

I simply took the entire thing as one of Carson's tongue-in-cheek, what can I stir up, posts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom